About the Company
Our client is a leader in impact banking. From clean energy to sustainable and affordable real estate, their mission is to use the tools of finance to drive immediate and lasting social and environmental change in our communities.
Vancity Community Investment Bank (VCIB) is an Ontario-based, Schedule I federally chartered bank and a subsidiary of the Vancity Group. As the only values-based bank in Canada, VCIB provides specialized financing solutions for impactful projects like social purpose real estate and clean energy projects. For purpose-driven businesses and organizations, VCIB offers banking, investing, and financing solutions tailor-made to increase their growth and impact.
VCIB is a Certified B Corporation and a member of the Global Alliance for Banking on Values.
Scope of Position
Reporting to the Managing Director, Climate Finance, the Senior Business Development Manager will be responsible for building and managing the pipeline of climate finance loan opportunities for VCIB. Working closely with other leaders, the successful candidate will lead the origination and structuring of clean energy, energy efficiency and other climate-related transactions.
The successful candidate will play a key role in determining overall departmental strategy, including which markets to target, what existing or new loan products or other lending products best serve those markets and how to collaborate with internal and external stakeholders.
This opportunity will appeal to individuals that want to make a real impact within the financial sector with a nimble and growing lender that is part of a larger and well established Canadian financial institution.
- Identify key markets that the Bank should be targeting and develop go-to-market strategies.
- Lead inbound and outbound business development efforts by setting up and attending meetings with prospective borrowers, representing the Bank at conferences and/or industry groups, and participating in thought leadership.
- Lead lending activities with the support of colleagues including deal structuring, drafting and negotiating term sheets, preparing internal credit applications, overseeing due diligence and managing client relationships through to closing.
- Oversee and provide guidance and coaching to Associates and Analysts supporting underwriting and financial modeling and analysis.
- Manage relationships with key internal departments including Treasury, Credit Risk and Marketing to support growth objectives and closing transactions.
- Manage relationships with key external partners, including industry groups and associations, third party service providers, syndicate lenders and other referral partners.
- Stay up-to-date with key market trends to enable the company to underwrite opportunities with confidence, seek ongoing opportunities for innovation and optimization in financing approaches, including developing and evaluating strategic alternatives (i.e., different structures or partners).
Strategic Approach: Develops a strategic plan to realize the vision. Revises strategy in light of changing circumstances. Works to clarify organizational goals. Able to manage immediate challenges while focussing on longer-term objectives.
Role Expertise: Demonstrates critical technical or professional knowledge/skills related to the role. Expands technical knowledge/skills and keeps up-to-date in own area of expertise.
Commercial Acumen: Applies appropriate commercial and financial principles. Understands situations in terms of costs, profits, added-value and return on investment.
Results Orientation: Focuses strongly on achieving agreed upon outcomes and ensures that key objectives are met. Conveys a sense of urgency and drives issues to closure. Aims to improve upon past performance. Establishes aggressive personal targets and strives to achieve them.
Integrity & Sincerity: Inspires trust and supports others through own authenticity and following up on commitments. Maintains high ethical standards both personally and professionally. Shows consistency among principles.
Information Seeking: Consults widely for business or technical advice, probes for facts and obtains information from a wide variety of sources. Differentiates the critical from the irrelevant or trivial.
Team Skills: Helps to create a sense of team spirit and collaborative relations through cooperation and support. Balances personal goals with those of the team. Fosters collaboration among team members.
Preferred Experience / Education
- Undergraduate Degree in Finance, Commerce or similar. Graduate degree (MBA, Finance, Accounting or similar) an asset. CPA, CFA or similar designations an asset.
- 8+ years hands on experience in project finance, investment banking, infrastructure financing, commercial lending, or similar. Direct experience with clean energy project finance and/or climate finance an asset. Detailed understanding of project finance structures a must.
- Strong network of relationships in the financial market, including banks, insurance companies, private equity and non-traditional sources of capital a valued asset.
- Demonstrated track record developing, originating and closing financing transactions, including the ability to negotiate complex contractual agreements and understand complex financing models.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and ability to work independently, with a team and to collaborate across various departments.
- Experience in a nimble, highly entrepreneurial environment an asset.
- Exhibits high standards of business and personal ethical conduct.
Remuneration / Benefits
- Competitive compensation package tailored to the successful candidate.
- Vancity is committed to creating a welcoming and inclusive workplace to help our people and communities thrive and prosper. Diversity in the workforce is integral in being able to truly represent, understand and respond to community needs and deliver on the client experience.
- Vancity is the largest private sector Living Wage Employer in Canada and has been consistently recognized as one of the Top Employers in Canada. Come join the team of 2,600+ diverse individuals and access competitive rewards & benefits, all while knowing you are a part of a greater movement.
If interested, please contact: