THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
About the Company
As a leading multi-family office our client provides trusted counsel to many of Canada’s most successful and entrepreneurial families.
Through rigorous process and methodology our client plays a pivotal role in assisting families with clarifying and articulating long term goals and objectives while putting in place a plan to ensure such goals and objectives are realized through integrated financial, tax and estate planning.
Consistently recognized as a leading multi-family office advisor in Canada, our client seeks to bring on board a senior investment strategist and client service professional to play a leading role as it positions itself for future growth.
Scope of Position
As a senior member of the leadership team, the Senior Vice President, Investments & Client Service will play a key role in our client solidifying its market leading position by ensuring that the best interests of its clients are paramount. This will be accomplished through oversight of the firm’s investment function as well as participating in client relationship/business development and the overall firm leadership.
Located in Toronto, this opportunity will appeal to individuals who have a significant investment background, are service oriented, client centric and want to make a real impact on a successful and growing business.
- Investment Strategy – Oversee the firm’s investment function while building on the current investment philosophy and asset allocation processes.
- Leadership – Chair the investment committee, lead investment activities and provide overall thought leadership on all investment matters for the firm.
- Communication – Identify and communicate relevant investment results, capital markets trends, investment concepts and portfolio management tenets of the firm to staff, clients and other stakeholders.
- Investment manager analysis and selection – Undertake all necessary assessment and conduct due diligence on investment managers (public and private) making recommendations to the investment committee. Provide leadership in the process of selecting and monitoring investment managers across all asset classes while maintaining relationships with such investment managers.
- New investment vehicles and strategies – Seek opportunities to enhance the client offering through researching and developing new opportunities for clients to invest in.
2. Client Relationship Management and Business Development – Assist the client management team in interactions with clients and act as an expert resource in the area of investments. Play a leadership role in select client relationships and business development opportunities.
3. Firm Leadership – As a member of the leadership team, provide input and decision making on a variety of topics, including:
- business planning and the strategic direction of the firm.
- guidance, mentorship and performance management to junior and mid-management members of the firm.
- remain abreast of industry best practices, competitors and trends with a view to ensuring that clients’ needs are optimally served.
Additionally, the successful candidate shall:
- Oversee investment team ensuring appropriate guidance, mentoring and training for all professional staff.
- Keep all internal firm stakeholders including client and business development team members abreast of industry investment strategies, philosophies and developments on a timely basis (Monthly, Quarterly).
- Attend investment conferences, manager presentations, monitor news and remain current with economic, market and manager developments.
- Bring clarity and consistency to the presentation of client’s investment approach while ensuring portfolio strategy is well articulated in public settings.
- Provide oversight to the investment implementation process.
- Assist in asset allocation and manager selection work related to clients
- Prepare analyses and reports related to individual client situations and ensure consistency and standardization for all client reporting.
- Support the client relationship and business development team by providing high-quality market insight and overviews of asset classes and allocation strategies.
- Act as an ambassador to actively assist in creating and expanding client relationships
The competencies listed below define the role of Senior Vice President, Investments & Client Service.
Develops a strategic plan to realize the vision. Revises strategy in light of changing circumstances. Takes a long-term view of organizational success. Works to clarify long term organizational goals. Able to stand back from immediate problems in order to focus on more far-reaching ideas.
Demonstrates critical technical or professional knowledge/skills related to the role. Has thorough knowledge of relevant services and methods. Expands technical knowledge/skills and keeps up-to-date in own area of expertise.
Applies appropriate commercial and financial principles. Understands situations in terms of costs, profits, added-value and return on investment. Appreciates the commercial impact of your work on the organization’s total expenses and revenues.
Focuses strongly on achieving agreed upon outcomes and ensures that key objectives are met. Conveys a sense of urgency and drives issues to closure. Aims to improve upon past performance. Establishes aggressive personal targets and strives to achieve them.
Integrity & Sincerity
Inspires trust and supports others through own authenticity and following up on commitments. Maintains high ethical standards both personally and professionally. Shows consistency among principles.
Helps to create a sense of team spirit and harmonious relations through cooperation and support. Balances personal goals with those of the team. Fosters collaboration among team members.
Preferred Experience / Education
- Undergraduate degree and CFA designation are a minimum requirement.
- Strong knowledge of the wealth/investment management industry with family office or private family experience being preferred (taxable investors).
- Superior communication skills with an ability to effectively simplify complex financial concepts for those with minimal understanding of finance while building trust, rapport and credibility with clients and co-workers.
- Strong quantitative and qualitative analytical skills required to examine, interpret and evaluate data and exercise good judgement to make value-added asset mix, allocations and portfolio construction decisions.
- Experience with building investment strategies for private/taxable investors including evaluating and selecting investment managers and developing asset allocation strategies.
- Advanced knowledge of principles and practices of investment management, analytics and portfolio management.
- Detail oriented, team player with experience working collaboratively in an entrepreneurial and dynamic environment.
- Self-starter, high level of initiative, can work independently and multi-task.
Remuneration & Benefits
- Competitive compensation package which will include equity ownership opportunities.
If interested, please contact: