THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
About the Company
Shifting to a low carbon world requires meeting a growing demand for clean energy technologies and innovative business models. Our client is a renewable energy company that offers customized solutions to reduce carbon emissions and manage energy costs. Through creative design and process innovation it integrates proprietary technologies into conventional HVAC systems to decarbonize buildings. Its turn-key solutions and services are tailored to allow communities and businesses to participate in a new economy that is rapidly shifting toward a more sustainable future for all.
Our client seeks to expand its leadership team through the addition of a proven General Counsel to ensure that it exploits the opportunity before it.
Scope of Position
Based in Toronto and reporting to the CEO, the General Counsel will provide a clear and collaborative voice on all legal matters facing the company and its activities including responsibility for all corporate/commercial agreements, project finance, employment, compliance, securities, governance, company secretarial, privacy, regulatory and IP matters relating to business activities and any litigation facing the company.
This opportunity will appeal to individuals that want to make a real impact in a highly entrepreneurial and successful renewable energy company with rapid growth ambitions.
Initially, work will be focused in Canada but the Company is looking to expand into other jurisdictions.
- Negotiate and draft a diverse range of commercial agreements including external agreements, contractor agreements, services agreements, software license agreements and supplier agreements.
- Provide comprehensive, accurate and practical advice regarding various legal issues including corporate/commercial, employment, regulatory, securities, privacy, and IP matters.
- Provide legal advice and play a leadership role in completing project finance transactions, including term sheet development and negotiation, managing competitive processes to source financing, and negotiating definitive documentation with a range of financing partners, including but not limited to, construction and long-term debt lenders, equipment or bridge financing lenders etc.
- Monitor and keep abreast of legal developments and legislative changes that may impact business and company goals.
- Engage with and provide counsel to board of directors, executive management team and other key stakeholder groups on all legal and regulatory matters.
- Develop and implement company-wide contract review and management process to ensure consistency and efficiency across the organization, including formalizing company standard agreements, internal policies on approvals and contract management system.
- Build and advise on the company’s IP strategy and work to build a robust patent portfolio.
- Fulfill role as Company secretary.
- Oversee and manage relationships with all external counsel as appropriate.
Preferred Experience / Education
The following indicates specific industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables.
- Law degree with a minimum of 10+ years of experience with a law firm or as in-house counsel.
- Strong understanding of corporate/commercial law and with an in-depth understanding of project finance structures.
- Overall broad legal knowledge on corporate governance, technology, compliance, data privacy and employment.
- Ability to exercise independent judgment and ethical decision-making with a minimal amount of supervision.
- Ability to work under pressure with strong attention to detail, effectively multi-task and adhere to many concurrent deadlines.
- A bias for action, burning desire to succeed with an ability to reduce complex legal issues into basic business language.
- An analytical, detail oriented, team player experienced working in fast-paced, dynamic environment.
Remuneration & Benefits
- Highly competitive compensation package tailored to the successful candidate.
If interested, please contact: