THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
About the Corporation
Our client is an award-winning, employee-owned multidisciplinary firm that delivers a comprehensive range of technical and strategic services, including consulting, information technology, engineering, process development, project and construction management to large industrial sectors. The firm has served clients for over 80 years and has project experience in more than 150 countries around the world.
The firm is widely recognized for its ability to bridge the gaps between research and innovative technologies, and between engineering and reliable operations. It is particularly known for working with clients to develop business strategies and technologies; managing and optimizing production; executing projects that involve the scale-up of process technologies; and managing start-ups, commissioning and ramp-ups.
Our client delivers unprecedented business results for its clients through a commitment to quality, lower operating costs, more efficient utilization of capital assets, higher standards for safety and risk management, faster start-ups and continuous performance improvements in all projects and programs.
Scope of the Position
The global energy transition is upon us. As we shift to a low carbon world, meeting the growing demand for energy will require revolutionary thinking and a variety of resources. While the market is challenging, these challenges present opportunities and serve as a major catalyst for change. With innovative, global businesses in Power, ESG, Advisory and Digital, our client is a global leader in that change process
Our client is currently seeking an individual to lead its Power Systems Studies in Canada. The group is part of the firm’s Power Delivery and Integration (PD&I) business reporting to the global head of Power Systems Studies and HVDC. This is a key, significant role in a fast-growing business with tremendous growth opportunities across the organization’s System Performance and Planning groups. The role will involve internal and external business development and marketing, team building and management, and working on systems analysis investigations and planning/feasibility studies for clients in North America and around the world.
Our client’s business is growing and dynamic, and thus Power Systems Studies Leader will require an entrepreneurial spirit with a technical soul. Key to success will be the ability to understand client industry trends and leverage internal and external relationships to identify, target and capitalize upon the tremendous market growth before it.
- Work closely with the HVDC/FACTS department of PD&I on HVdc and FACTS studies, as well as the firm’s world-class management consulting group for development for development of power sector master plans.
- Work within focused study teams and multi-disciplinary teams involved in integrated power system plans, transmission and distribution system plans, pre-feasibility/feasibility/system impact assessment and system performance studies for both AC and DC project developments and generation/load connections.
- Coordinate all planning activities and maintain project schedules and ensure successful project completion.
- Engage in client engagement, business development and proposal management with both internal and external clients.
- Execute and/or lead systems analysis activities including load-flow, short-circuit, transient stability, electromagnetic transient and small-signal stability analysis.
- Perform or coordinate systems analysis activities including load-flow, short-circuit, transient stability, electromagnetic transient and small-signal stability analysis.
- Prepare functional specifications for facility requirements related to different system development portfolios, for purposes of developing preliminary designs and obtaining estimates for the associated facilities.
- Prepare comprehensive reports on the conduct of the studies, the study results and appropriate conclusions and recommendations.
- Aid in generating leads, securing MSA while preparing proposals, and delivering presentations to clients.
- Travel when required to site location for customer meetings domestic or international.
Key Performance Indicators
In light of the identified responsibilities, the following are specific deliverables that the position is designed to achieve.
- Specific performance measures will be discussed with and agreed upon with the successful candidate.
The following competencies listed below define the role of Power Systems Studies Leader:
Develops a strategic plan to realize the vision. Revises strategy in light of changing circumstances. Takes a long-term view of organizational success. Works to clarify long term organizational goals. Able to stand back from immediate problems in order to focus on more far reaching ideas.
Applies appropriate commercial and financial principles. Understands situations in terms of costs, profits, added value and return on investment. Appreciates the commercial impact of own work on the organization’s total expenses and revenues.
Focuses strongly on achieving agreed upon outcomes and ensures that key objectives are met. Conveys a sense of urgency and drives issues to closure. Aims to improve upon past performance. Establishes aggressive personal targets and strives to achieve them.
Proactive. Seizes opportunities and acts upon them immediately. Takes responsibility for own actions and addresses problems before asked.
Strives to provide customers/clients with personalized and efficient service. Anticipates customers’/clients’ needs. Quickly follows up on customer/client contacts and complaints. Monitors and acts on measures of customer/client satisfaction.
Industry & Market Awareness
Seeks to anticipate and respond to industry and market changes/challenges by understanding key characteristics, issues and the factors driving them. Aware of competitor’s products, services and position.
Incorporates information about the organization’s structure and protocol into decisions. Attentive to the internal politics and alert to shifting interpersonal dynamics. Establishes the necessary support networks and cross-functional relationships through rapport building. Recognizes, maintains and effectively balances the interests and needs of one’s own group with those of the broader organization.
Helps to create a sense of team spirit and harmonious relations through cooperation and support. Balances personal goals with those of the team. Fosters collaboration among team members.
Demonstrates critical technical or professional knowledge/skills related to the role. Has thorough knowledge of relevant products, services and methods. Expands technical knowledge/skills and keeps up-to-date in own area of expertise.
Preferred Experience and Education
The following indicates specific industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables:
- Electrical Engineering Degree. Preference will be given to candidates with Masters or PhD degrees in Power System Planning.
- Minimum of 10 years experience in power system analysis and planning.
- P.Eng. or demonstrated eligibility for registration.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the PSS®E software package, including all modules for load-flow, short-circuit and transient stability analysis, and including intimate understanding of batch programming using PYTHON.
- Knowledge of alternative planning software applications, including DSA Tools, PSLF or DigSilent, is optional but desirable.
- Demonstrated knowledge with EMTP software, such as PSCAD, and experience in supervising both AC and DC system studies.
- Knowledge NERC/FERC policies, guidelines, regulations, requirements and criteria as applicable to network performance and planning, especially to bulk power systems.
- Technical consulting experience including demonstrated client engagement skills that enabled problem synthesis and solution development through targeted interactions
- Strong business development, sales and client engagement orientation with a proven track record of exceptional sales success and operational excellence by creating successful internal and external partnerships.
- Team leadership experience.
Remuneration & Benefits
- Highly competitive, unique compensation package to the successful candidate.
If interested, please contact:
Bus: 416-365-9494 Ext. 777
StoneWood Group, Toronto
Bus: 416-365-9494 Ext. 555