About the Company
Our client is an award-winning, employee-owned multidisciplinary firm that delivers a comprehensive range of technical and strategic services, including consulting, information technology, environmental/climate services, engineering, process development, and project management to large industrial sectors. The firm has served clients for over 80 years, has project experience in more than 150 countries, offices around the world and a motivated team over 10,000 strong.
The firm is widely recognized for its ability to bridge the gaps between research and innovative technologies, and between engineering and reliable operations. It is particularly known for working with clients to develop business strategies and technologies; managing and optimizing production; executing projects that involve the scale-up of process technologies; and managing start-ups, commissioning and ramp-ups.
Our client delivers unprecedented business results for its clients through a commitment to quality, lower operating costs, more efficient utilization of capital assets, higher standards for safety and risk management, faster start-ups and continuous performance improvements in all projects and programs).
Scope of Position
Our client is currently seeking an experienced and visionary Deputy Chief Information Officer (Deputy CIO) to lead its technology strategy and drive continued innovation. As a key member of the IT Leadership team, the Deputy CIO will play a pivotal role in aligning technology initiatives with business goals to enhance overall performance, efficiency, and competitiveness. The main skills required are summarized below:
- A visionary with a doer mentality
- Analytical problem solver
- Great communicator – credible with the Board and Business Executives
- Advanced working proficiency in IT
The Deputy CIO will work with the CIO and business leadership team, providing broad insight to IT domains and capabilities in support of companywide business decisions. The Deputy CIO will assume full CIO responsibilities (or those responsibilities as directed) during the CIO’s absence. In addition, the Deputy CIO is expected to be the CIO’s successor in due course.
This is an outstanding opportunity that features:
- Strong industry and company growth
- World-class employee-owned Canadian company
- Highly entrepreneurial culture
- An opportunity to make a real difference
- Technology Leadership:
- Provide strategic direction and oversight for the development and implementation of technology solutions.
- Lead the IT department in designing, implementing, and maintaining scalable and secure systems.
- Innovation and Digital Transformation:
- Drive digital transformation initiatives to keep the organization at the forefront of technological advancements.
- Identify and evaluate emerging technologies for potential integration into the business.
- Proven track record of innovation, both in internal problem solving and in fostering innovative uses of technology in the organization.
- Have a clear vision of how Generative AI can transform the business and create value for customers, employees, stakeholders and our communities. Some of the responsibilities of a CIO in AI include: Identify AI projects of high business impact that align with the organization’s goals and initiatives; Build an AI talent pipeline that attracts, develops, and retains skilled professionals who can work on AI projects; Communicate effectively with internal and external stakeholders about the vision, strategy, value proposition, and impact of AI initiatives to the business.
- Strategic Planning:
- Collaborate with executive leadership to develop and execute a comprehensive technology strategy aligned with organizational objectives.
- Assess and prioritize technology needs, ensuring alignment with business priorities.
- Partner with the CIO in providing technology vision and direction for the enterprise.
- Cybersecurity and Risk Management:
- Develop and implement robust cybersecurity measures to protect the organization’s information assets.
- Establish and maintain risk management protocols to safeguard against potential threats.
- Team Leadership and Development:
- Build and lead a high-performing IT team, fostering a culture of innovation, collaboration, and continuous improvement.
- Provide mentorship and professional development opportunities for team members.
- Vendor Management:
- Manage relationships with technology vendors, negotiating contracts, and ensuring cost-effective solutions.
- Evaluate and select external partners to complement internal capabilities.
- Budget Oversight:
- Develop and manage the IT budget, ensuring cost-effective implementation of technology solutions.
- Monitor and control expenses while optimizing the value of technology investments.
- Compliance and Governance:
- Ensure compliance with relevant regulations and standards related to information technology.
- Establish and enforce IT policies and procedures to maintain governance and compliance.
- In addition,
- Remain abreast of the industry, competitors and trends with a view to ensuring that the firm’s services best align to market needs.
- Serve as an ambassador for the group representing it at appropriate conferences, speaking engagements, and other external industry related events.
Key Performance Deliverables
In light of the identified responsibilities, the following are specific deliverables that the position is designed to achieve.
- Specific performance measures will be discussed with and agreed upon with the successful candidate.
The following competencies listed below define the role of Deputy CIO
Develops a strategic plan to realize the vision. Revises strategy in light of changing circumstances. Takes a long-term view of organizational success. Works to clarify long term organizational goals. Able to stand back from immediate problems in order to focus on more far reaching ideas.
Articulates the key points of an argument persuasively. Negotiates skillfully and convinces others to own point of view. Directly and indirectly impacts the decisions/opinions of others. Mobilizes people into action.
Integrity & Sincerity
Inspires trust and supports others through own authenticity and following up on commitments. Maintains high ethical standards both personally and professionally. Shows consistency among principles.
Establishes and communicates clear priorities and sense of direction. Clarifies roles and responsibilities. Adapts management style to achieve optimum results.
Focuses strongly on achieving agreed upon outcomes and ensures that key objectives are met. Conveys a sense of urgency and drives issues to closure. Aims to improve upon past performance. Establishes aggressive personal targets and strives to achieve them.
Proactive. Seizes opportunities and acts upon them immediately. Takes responsibility for own actions and addresses problems before asked.
Strives to provide customers/clients with personalized and efficient service. Anticipates customers’/clients’ needs. Quickly follows up on customer/client contacts and complaints. Monitors and acts on measures of customer/client satisfaction.
Industry & Market Awareness
Seeks to anticipate and respond to industry and market changes/challenges by understanding key characteristics, issues and the factors driving them. Aware of competitor’s products, services and position.
Incorporates information about the organization’s structure and protocol into decisions. Attentive to the internal politics and alert to shifting interpersonal dynamics. Establishes the necessary support networks and cross-functional relationships through rapport building. Recognizes, maintains and effectively balances the interests and needs of one’s own group with those of the broader organization.
Helps to create a sense of team spirit and harmonious relations through cooperation and support. Balances personal goals with those of the team. Fosters collaboration among team members.
Demonstrates critical technical or professional knowledge/skills related to the role. Has thorough knowledge of relevant products, services and methods. Expands technical knowledge/skills and keeps up-to-date in own area of expertise.
Preferred Experience / Education
The following indicates specific industry, academic and functional experience and qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables:
- Proven experience as an executive in a similar leadership role.
- Demonstrated success in leading digital transformation initiatives.
- Strong strategic thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal abilities.
- In-depth knowledge of IT systems, infrastructure, and emerging technologies.
- Familiarity with cybersecurity best practices and risk management.
- Advanced degree in Information Technology, Computer Science, Engineering, or a related field is preferred.
- Over 15 years of experience in IT and business/industry
- A minimum of ten years of experience of team management and leadership responsibilities.
- Experience in business/industry (beyond IT), managing cross-functional teams or projects, and influencing senior-level management and key stakeholders.
If you are a strategic thinker with a track record of driving innovation and managing technology at a senior level, we invite you to apply for this exciting opportunity.
If interested, please contact:
StoneWood Group, Toronto, Canada
Bus: +1 416 365 9494 Ext. 777
Mob: +1 416 889 9494