THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
Our client is a mid-sized niche manufacturing business in a growing marketplace. It has established an excellent reputation with clients and has expanded aggressively into the US market. The company was recently acquired by a private equity backed competitor in a friendly takeover. The overall goal is continued, profitable growth through organic sales and acquisitions.
Scope of Position
The Vice President, Finance requires a minimum of five years of hands-on financial control experience. The successful candidate will be directly responsible for the day-to-day management of the Accounting Department (currently 5 people), including preparation of monthly financial statements, weekly flash reporting, cash management/reporting, general accounting and payroll, preparation of the year-end audit, the budgeting process, and tax-related activities.
While this is a management role, the successful candidate will welcome being actively involved in daily/routine accounting and analysis functions. Once they have gained a thorough understanding of how existing policies and practices contribute to the company long-term vision, business and operational goals, their knowledge and experience will enable them to make recommendations regarding improvements to the financial reporting systems, a timely implementation of the company’s ERP system (Syspro), budgeting and accounting procedures and controls. Their knowledge of up-to-date accounting technology will benefit the company as it continues to grow into a significant company with a reputation for excellence in its sector.
The Vice President of Finance is responsible for a wide range of functions including, but not limited to, those set out below:
- Planning, organizing, directing, controlling, and evaluating the operation of all accounting and finance activities in BC.
- Implementation of the company financial models, KPI’s, policies, systems, and procedures.
- Preparation of the monthly financial statements, summaries, and other cost-benefit analyses and financial management reports for submission on a timely and regular basis to Senior Management.
- Preparation for the annual audit.
- Maintenance of the integrity of the financial reporting system, and recommendation regarding improvements to internal controls.
- Management of the internal accounting software system to ensure optimal implementation of modules to support user and company needs.
- Oversight of payroll, collections, centralized billing, and centralized file functions.
- Responsibility for recruiting, interviewing and selecting Accounting Department staff as required, in coordination with the HR Department.
- Supervision, mentoring and performance review of Accounting Department staff.
- Other duties as required in a rapidly evolving environment.
This position will initially report directly to the Chief Operating Officer (COO).
- A “can-do” attitude with respect to tackling accounting functions in a hands-on fashion,
- Strong work ethic and personal integrity.
- A willingness to collaborate as part of an established management team in a privately owned and managed company.
- Initiative and creativity beyond carrying out assigned responsibilities according to previously accepted practices.
- Persistent and result-oriented with a track record of overachieving.
- Practical and effective problem solver, ability to “think on your feet”.
- Work well under pressure while maintaining a positive attitude.
- Excellent leadership & team-building skills.
- Proven ability to manage, coach and develop accounting staff.
- Ability to communicate and work with all levels of the organization.
- Strong judgment and decision-making skills.
- Excellent negotiation skills.
- Superior oral and written communication skills.
- Proven ability to organize, prioritize and multi-task.
- High level of pride in one’s work.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Good sense of humour.
- Punctual and reliable.
- An undergraduate degree in Commerce, Finance, or Accounting from a recognized university.
- A recognized accounting designation (CA or CPA).
- A minimum of 5 years’ proven success in hands-on financial management.
- In-depth knowledge of standard Costing Systems and Cost Analysis.
- Knowledge of ERP systems is considered an asset (the company intends to implement the Syspro system as of January 1, 2017).
Remuneration & Benefits
- Attractive, highly competitive compensation package for the successful candidate