THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
About the Company
Our client provides complex B to B services to small and large organizations across Canada. Selling direct and through channel partners, the firm is the leader in its field.
Our client’s addressable market sector ecosystem is sizeable with industry experts predicting continued growth well into the foreseeable future. Specific target markets also continue to grow and evolve creating exciting opportunities for future growth. Our client’s mission is to deliver the highest value to its customers with unparalleled service levels, broad national capabilities, and deep technical knowledge.
Our client is Toronto-based and boasts a blue-chip private ownership group.
Scope of Position
Reporting to the CEO, the Vice-President Business Development will assume responsibility for driving both revenue generation and business expansion to existing and emerging markets. Working as a member of the senior executive team this will involve contributing to the overall sales and marketing strategy while driving top line revenue growth through a small yet highly dynamic business development team.
- Support the CEO in refining the roadmap for the business. This will include an assessment of the company’s existing market opportunities, competitive positioning and growth opportunities going forward.
- Leading by example, drive and support the business development organization related to value-added services in attaining revenue and margin goals by market and geography.
- Develop the marketing strategy and plan relating to geographic markets to enter as well as product and services mix offerings in each of those markets.
- Provide leadership to the lead generation and marketing organizations to ensure that their efforts are effective and aligned to the sales organization’s needs.
- Participate as an active member of the management team, fostering an environment of high performance and co-operation.
- Play a lead role in developing high level relationships with key accounts and partners including developing the account development plans themselves.
- Work directly with lead customers in emerging markets providing feedback to CEO on the viability of said markets and make recommendations on investments required to effectively pursue.
- Provide constant feedback to the CEO on the status of all pipeline, sales and business development activities.
- Provide feedback to engineering on market requirements and trends to ensure that technology roadmap aligns with market requirements.
- Spearhead and nurture existing and new senior level relationships with channel partners. Recommend means by which to enhance the channel’s overall effectiveness.
Key Performance Deliverables
In light of the identified responsibilities, the following are specific deliverables that the position is designed to achieve.
- Revenue and margin to budget – monthly and annual
- Quality and robustness of market plans
- Quality and performance of business development team members
- Year-over-year growth
- Business line extensions/new business development
The following competencies listed below define the role of Vice-President Business Development at our client:
Focuses strongly on achieving agreed upon outcomes and ensures that key objectives are met. Conveys a sense of urgency and drives issues to closure. Aims to improve upon past performance. Establishes aggressive personal targets and strives to achieve them. Stays ahead of the noise and sets the tone and agenda daily to drive the management team and employees towards the company’s goals.
Planning & Objective Setting
Systematic in approach to work. Produces action plans in which objectives are defined and steps for achieving them are clearly specified. Plans by breaking down large task into subtasks. Develops plans that anticipate obstacles. Is realistic about time-scales and builds in appropriate checkpoints, milestones and controls in order to ensure that desired results are realized.
Consults widely for business or technical advice, probes for facts and obtains information from a wide variety of sources. Differentiates the critical from the irrelevant or trivial.
Industry & Market Awareness
Seeks to anticipate and respond to industry and market changes/challenges by understanding key characteristics, issues and the factors driving them. Aware of competitor’s products, services and position.
Demonstrates critical technical or professional knowledge/skills related to the role. Has thorough knowledge of relevant products, services and methods. Expands technical knowledge/skills and keeps up-to-date in own area of expertise.
Applies appropriate commercial and financial principles; Understands situations in terms of costs, profits, added-value and return on investment; Imagines future possibilities. Thinks broadly and investigates a wide-range of alternatives in developing a vision for the future. Selects the most promising vision from a range of alternatives and communicates this vision to others.
Articulates the key points of an argument persuasively. Negotiates skillfully and convinces others to own point of view. Directly and indirectly impacts the decisions/opinions of others. Mobilizes people into action.
Helps to create a sense of team spirit and harmonious relations through cooperation and support. Balances personal goals with those of the team. Fosters collaboration among team members.
Preferred Experience / Education
The following indicates specific industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables.
- New market analysis and development experience.
- Proven track record selling large, global accounts.
- Marketing function experience including planning and strategy development
- Services (versus physical products) sales experience
- Sales team management/leadership experience
- Business degree (MBA with technical undergrad ideal)
Remuneration & Benefits
- Competitive and innovative base pay, variable and long-term incentive plan