About the Company
Picking your next company is tough. You want to join a team that has proven its potential in the market but has not yet grown to the point that you are just another cog in the machine. You want to be heard, learn, and have an impact. That is why it is a perfect time to join our client.
The changing nature of work, employee engagement and how the world of work has changed due to COVID-19 has caused companies to re-evaluate their use of space, its effectiveness and costs is transforming offices everywhere. And now, Fortune 500 customers are using our Conexus Workspace Analytics Platform and our advanced IoT sensors to monitor workspace utilization, workplace design effectiveness, and employee engagement as well as inform portfolio optimization and portfolio strategy.
Top corporate real estate organizations depend on our workspace analytics platform and industry expertise to help evolve their global real estate portfolio with confidence.
Scope of the Position
Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer (COO), this Director Engineering will be responsible for providing key leadership to a hard-working development team. This customer-centric, delivery focused individual will put in place effective development processes and procedures to execute effectively and meet the demands of our market. Measuring progress and responding quickly to challenges and changes in requirements will be commonplace for someone in this position.
As part of the management team the Director, Engineering will need to clearly communicate the development plan, timelines and deliverables and keep the executives abreast of any change so the company can respond to customers in a timely and proactive manner. This is a person that prides themselves on delivering quality products on time while meeting the expectation of the customers. You will be the member of the management team that cares most about solving the technical challenges and is passionate about digging deep, working hard, and achieving award winning results.
Focuses strongly on achieving agreed upon outcomes and ensures that key objectives are met within aggressive but achievable timelines; Has a reputation for execution and delivery; Conveys a sense of urgency and drives issues to closure; Aims to improve upon past performance; Establishes ambitious personal targets and strives to achieve/exceed them.
Developing and Coaching Others
Accurately assesses strengths and development needs of employees; Challenges others to improve their abilities and actively supports their development; Continually provides timely and constructive feedback, coaching and challenging learning opportunities; Adjusts coaching style based on each employee’s ability and motivation level. Identifies potential career paths and charts a course towards career progression. Holds employees accountable for delivering outcomes and identifies performance plan if required.
Draws parallels across situations and contexts; Divides problems into their individual elements; Develops several explanations or alternatives; Separates the core of a problem from its symptoms and can identify cause and effect.
Develops a strategic plan to realize the vision; Revises strategy considering changing circumstances; Takes a long-term view of organizational success; Works to clarify long term organizational goals; Able to stand back from immediate problems to focus on more far-reaching ideas.
Adopts an energetic approach; Works towards goals and willingly tackles demanding tasks; Sets the tone of his/her team by demonstrating the capacity for sustained effort and hard work over long periods of time, even in the face of adversity.
Consults widely for business or technical advice, probes for facts and obtains information from a wide variety of sources; Differentiates the critical from the irrelevant or trivial.
The successful candidate will bring a demonstrated ability to:
- Lead a diverse team of software, hardware, test, mobile and data engineers in building and operating our cloud native IoT and analytics platform.
- Act as the chief architect, owning the overall cloud architecture while mentoring others to take over a growing number of service areas.
- Operate and pro-actively monitor our entire suite of products, adhering to SLAs (Service Level Agreements) and maintaining a highly secure posture.
- Interface and collaborate with all business functions, from Product Manager to Sales and other support functions to ensure that the feature set requirements are in line with market expectations and are designed to enhance the customer experience.
- Prioritize and manage all software development efforts to ensure they are aligned with business objectives to develop and maintain a product requirements/feature backlog.
- Driving continuous improvement within the software development teams to consistently improve quality, cycle, and deployment time.
- Assist with client presentations, demonstrations, and technical meetings when required.
- Monitor new emerging technologies, execute the technology roadmap based on market demand/constraints.
- Promote a strong, driven, and dependable team environment through strong leadership and the effective use of hiring, mentoring, coaching, performance management and skills development.
- Meeting overall schedule and budget committed to in the development plan.
- A proven track record of managing a complex enterprise data environment architecting and executing data solutions at the enterprise level.
- Practical experience in the field of data and analytics with a strong business understanding on how to leverage data would be an asset.
- Translate business needs to technical specification.
- Encourages and rewards a culture of innovation and continual improvement.
- Manage SRED and IRAP programs
Preferred Experience and Education
The following indicates specific industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables.
- S. Degree in Computer Science or Engineering or a technical discipline from an accredited college/University, MBA would be considered an asset.
- Previous experience in a leadership role of Software Development teams.
- Previous experience managing high performing customer facing SaaS applications.
- Deep technical understanding of software development best practices including object-oriented design and development, cloud architecture patterns, infrastructure as code, continuous deployment, automated testing, Domain driven design and Micro-services.
- Technical understanding of scalable modern cloud-based data platform architectures such as DataBricks/Spark and IoT technologies.
- Deep understanding and experience with Azure would be an asset.
- Ability to build analytical dashboards to monitor product performance using Azure Application Insights or PowerBI would be an asset.
- Getting the job done right, delivering results, continuously improving, displaying a dynamic approach, displaying energy and enthusiasm.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate plans, roadmaps, and strategies.
- Must be able to demonstrate senior level experience in the architecture, development, release cycle and delivering software products to the enterprise market.
- Proven success implementing software development methodologies, while establishing and maintaining pragmatic engineering best practices (e.g., code reviews, testing, continuous delivery).
- Understanding of budgets and business planning.
- Have experience working in a startup environment as an early contributor is highly desirable.
Contact person: Catherine Pan, firstname.lastname@example.org