About the company
Established in 1988, our client is a leading wealth management and investment counselling firm providing customized portfolio management services to High Net Worth families, foundations and endowments across Canada.
With $2B of assets under management, our client is among the few portfolio managers in Canada that remain independent and wholly-owned by its principals. Such independence along with unwavering integrity provides an alignment of interests with the long-term success of its clients.
With a growing client base and an eye toward the future our client now looks to bring on board a Vice President, Client Service / Financial Planning.
Scope of Position
Reporting to the Director, Client Service, the Vice President, Client Service/Financial Planning will assist and work with clients to plan and meet clients’ financial goals by providing them with comprehensive financial plans and advice including tax, retirement and investment planning services.
The successful individual will contribute to the growth and profitability of the business through 3 primary areas of responsibility, namely, financial planning, relationship management and business development.
- Meets with clients and gathers information on their financial situation (e.g. goals, assets, liabilities, investments, retirement plans) that serves as a basis for creating a financial/investment plan.
- Prepares a comprehensive value-added plan using FP software and drafts a presentation for client review. Implements the financial strategy and meets with the client annually to review and/or update their plan based on shifting priorities.
- Acts as an internal subject matter expert on estate planning, retirement planning, income taxation, asset allocation, risk management, education planning and insurance needs.
- Stays current in financial planning developments and trends; maintains all continuing education for licenses and certifications.
- Partners with Portfolio Manager/Relationship Manager (PM/RM) in responding to clients’ needs for financial services beyond their investment portfolio; creates models that help clients make strategic decisions about their holdings and financial plans.
- Evaluates and understands clients’ investment objectives and risk tolerance through a financial planning approach and formalizes them in an Investment Objectives letter.
- Accesses the CRM system to stay current on client holdings and their financial situation and proactively reaches out to clients and offers financial planning/other services.
- Provides timely and quality responses to client requests for information regarding their financial plans, economic and market trends, tax and retirement information; troubleshoots client problems.
- Manages ongoing client relations and builds trust by providing them with assistance and advice on their holdings. Provides hi touch services – demonstrating how the clients’ money is carefully managed.
- Meets with clients to establish goals and objectives and to respond to any questions/concerns regarding their portfolio.
- Stays up to date on investments and asset performance by attending regular meetings with the portfolio managers, resulting in accurate and timely information to clients. Invites PM’s to meetings with clients, when appropriate.
- Meets with potential/new clients and demonstrates how they can benefit and take advantage of the various financial planning services available.
- Uses networking skills to identify and attract high net worth clients and develops focused strategies to create and expand relationships.
- Contributes editorial content for Nexus notes and publishes topical blogs for posting on the Nexus website.
- Organizes seminars to educate clients on investment and financial planning topics by creating and delivering tailored presentations.
The following competencies listed below define the role of Vice President, Client Service / Financial Planning:
Demonstrates critical technical or professional knowledge/skills related to the role. Has thorough knowledge of relevant products, services and methods. Expands technical knowledge/skills and keeps up-to-date in own area of expertise.
Consults widely for business or technical advice, probes for facts and obtains information from a wide variety of sources. Differentiates the critical from the irrelevant or trivial.
Draws parallels across situations and contexts. Divides problems into their individual elements. Develops several explanations or alternatives. Separates the core of a problem from its symptoms and can identify cause and effect.
Integrity & Sincerity
Inspires trust and supports others through own authenticity and following up on commitments; Maintains high ethical standards both personally and professionally; Shows consistency among principles.
Helps to create a sense of team spirit and harmonious relations through cooperation and support; Balances personal goals with those of the team; Fosters collaboration among team members.
Expresses ideas in a clear, fluent and concise manner; Written and oral arguments are compelling and responsive to the needs of the audience; Comprehends communications from others and responds appropriately.
Preferred Experience / Education
The following indicates specific industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables.
- Undergraduate business degree with some combination of the following CPA /CFA /CFP / TEP. If a CPA, completion of level 1 of the In-depth Tax Course.
- A minimum of 6 years of industry experience in personal tax planning, financial planning or wealth management.
- Strong knowledge of the wealth/investment management industry and related regulatory and compliance requirements.
- An aptitude for math combined with a strong knowledge of trust, estate planning, tax planning, insurance and complex financial planning.
- Superior communication skills with an ability to effectively simplify complex financial concepts while building trust, rapport and credibility with clients and co-workers.
- A bias for action, ability to work under pressure with strong attention to detail, effectively multi-task and adhere to many concurrent deadlines.
- An analytical, detail oriented, team player experienced working collaboratively in an entrepreneurial, fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Our client requires that all employees share the following core values:
- Love to Learn
- Value Respect
- Are Clear Communicators
- Take Ownership
- Bring a Positive Attitude
- Act as collaborative Team Players
Remuneration & Benefits
- A compensation package commensurate with experience is available.
For more information please contact: