About the Company
In a recent edition, Forbes Magazine reported, “While renewables are now the fastest growing energy industry, hydrogen is following closely behind in a massive gale. The 21st century will likely witness the rise of a mega-billion-dollar hydrogen fuel industry. Countries are taking steps – and it’s breathtaking”.
Canada is recognized internationally as a leader in hydrogen and fuel cell research, development and commercialization. The industry is broad and touches upon all elements across the supply chain. Canadian firms have developed a myriad of technologies to produce hydrogen cleanly and economically using fossil fuels, methanol, biomass, or from industrial by-product waste hydrogen capture.
Today, with carbon reduction by 2050 a global imperative, all attention has turned to ‘green’ hydrogen. Green hydrogen refers to hydrogen produced via the electrolysis of water, with the electricity used in the process coming from renewable sources like wind and solar. Green hydrogen is now a priority low-emissions technology that could eventually help replace fossil fuels in transport, electricity and in industrial processes.
Our client produces innovative green hydrogen generation solutions that let clients generate more clean hydrogen, faster, and at a significantly reduced cost. The company’s patented technologies have vast application across industrial processes, transportation and energy systems.
As the recent Forbes Magazine article concluded, “One thing is certain – hydrogen is no longer a niche fringe fuel. The element will play a critical role in the decarbonization of sectors where electrification is not possible, with fortunes to be built along the way……The green hydrogen revolution has already begun.”
Scope of Position
Last year our client completed two heavily oversubscribed financings and are now gearing up for a significant capital raise as part of our go-public round on TSX V. They will be one of the only pure play and publicly listed green hydrogen generation companies in North America and only the fourth globally. They expect to commence trading this spring. In preparation, our client is seeking to hire a key executive team member, the Chief Operating Officer (COO).
Reporting to the company’s CEO, the COO will be responsible for all matters relating to the company’s projects and production from engineering to the ordering of goods and raw materials through to efficient assembly, installation and quality of manufactured solutions to keep pace with market demand and delight customers. In achieving this, the COO will establish systems, processes and metrics with a view to minimizing costs and waste while maximizing scheduling, production and quality outputs.
No less important, the COO will achieve these results by cultivating positive relationships across the organization while nurturing a culture of excellence.
This is an outstanding opportunity that features:
- Revolutionary technology design
- Massive market opportunity
- Well-funded organization
- Highly entrepreneurial culture
- An opportunity to make a real difference
- Develop the firm’s manufacturing strategy considering the relative merits of an outsourcing versus in-house manufacturing strategy. Execute.
- Ensure operational milestones are met on time, with high quality and that they meet the cost objectives that are established; reporting on a monthly as well as a quarterly basis.
- Establish testing facility/capabilities and ensure all processes are in place to execute.
- Assess all current operations and project management-related processes, make recommendations and execute plans to improve.
- Develop key performance indicators (KPIs) and other metrics by which to monitor, manage and improve operations.
- Work with product design to ensure that manufacturability and cost considerations are considered and incorporated throughout without compromising performance and quality.
- Play a hands-on role in managing all day-to-day operations
- Supervise preparation of project schedules and plan ordering cycles to ensure production volumes can be met.
- Implement systems for the ordering or goods and raw materials that minimizes stockholding quantities yet is suitably timed to ensure uninterrupted production of the company’s products in keeping with the market demand. Work closely with business development/sales on demand planning/forecasting processes.
- Continually evaluate costing and supply chain strategies and approaches against best practices.
- Strategic planning, budget preparation and accountability for operational matters within the budget process.
- Build team as required and ensure they understand their objectives and that they are monitored. Provide regular and constructive feedback.
- Ensure that operations are compliant with all provincial and national regulatory standards pertaining to health and safety, quality and labor management.
- Ensure that quality processes and standards are in place, compliant and continually enhanced.
- Proactively pursue strong positive relationships with employees while implementing an appropriate culture of accountability.
- Contribute to the overall executive management of the firm, as part of the senior management team. Work closely with finance and sales to ensure expectations are aligned.
- Support the CEO in refining the roadmap for the business. This will include an assessment of the company’s existing market opportunities, competitive positioning and growth opportunities going forward.
The following competencies listed below define the role of COO at Our Client
Focuses strongly on achieving agreed upon outcomes and ensures that key objectives are met. Conveys a sense of urgency and drives issues to closure. Aims to improve upon past performance. Establishes aggressive personal targets and strives to achieve them.
Planning & Objective Setting
Systematic in approach to work. Produces action plans in which objectives are defined and steps for achieving them are clearly specified. Plans by breaking down large task into subtasks. Develops plans that anticipate obstacles. Is realistic about time-scales and builds in appropriate checkpoints, milestones and controls in order to ensure that desired results are realized.
Develops a strategic plan to realize the vision. Revises strategy in light of changing circumstances. Takes a long-term view of organizational success. Works to clarify long term organizational goals. Able to stand back from immediate problems in order to focus on more far reaching ideas.
Applies appropriate commercial and financial principles. Understands situations in terms of costs, profits, added-value and return on investment. Appreciates the commercial impact of own work on the organization’s total expenses and revenues.
Strives to provide customers/clients with personalized and efficient service. Anticipates customers’/clients’ needs. Quickly follows up on customer/client contacts and complaints. Monitors and acts on measures of customer/client satisfaction.
Industry & Market Awareness
Seeks to anticipate and respond to industry and market changes/challenges by understanding key characteristics, issues and the factors driving them. Aware of competitor’s products, services and position.
Consults widely for business or technical advice, probes for facts and obtains information from a wide variety of sources. Differentiates the critical from the irrelevant or trivial. Curious and open-minded while focused on key goals and objectives.
Preferred Experience / Education
The following indicates specific industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables.
- Experience in the manufacturing of complex engineered systems
- Proven track record of integrating new acquisitions to offer a vertically integrated solution to the company
- Experience in commercialization processes
- Experience in early stage organizations
- Minimum of 10-15 years of experience in custom or low volume/high mix manufacturing;
- Experience in establishing best practices in operations, project management, quality systems, and engineering
- Take charge orientation.
- A track record of success distinguished by having cultivated positive working relationships with staff, peers and superiors.
- Project management experience
- Excellent communication and analytical skills.
- Strong leadership abilities.
- A dynamic and self-motivated person with structured working style who can achieve results without much supervision.
- Experience in complex ERP/manufacturing/business systems and their utilization
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, business or finance, or combination of work history and education;
Remuneration & Benefits
- Highly competitive compensation package structured to the needs of the successful candidate.
If interested, please contact:
Bus: 416-365-9494 Ext. 777