About the Company
In a recent edition, Forbes Magazine reported, “While renewables are now the fastest growing energy industry, hydrogen is following closely behind in a massive gale. The 21st century will likely witness the rise of a mega-billion-dollar hydrogen fuel industry. Countries are taking steps – and it’s breathtaking”.
Canada is recognized internationally as a leader in hydrogen and fuel cell research, development and commercialization. The industry is broad and touches upon all elements across the supply chain. Canadian firms have developed a myriad of technologies to produce hydrogen cleanly and economically using fossil fuels, methanol, biomass, or from industrial by-product waste hydrogen capture.
Today, with carbon reduction by 2050 a global imperative, all attention has turned to ‘green’ hydrogen. Green hydrogen refers to hydrogen produced via the electrolysis of water, with the electricity used in the process coming from renewable sources like wind and solar. Green hydrogen is now a priority low-emissions technology that could eventually help replace fossil fuels in transport, electricity and in industrial processes.
Our client produces innovative green hydrogen generation solutions that let clients generate more clean hydrogen, faster, and at a significantly reduced cost. The company’s patented technologies have vast application across industrial processes, transportation and energy systems.
As the recent Forbes Magazine article concluded, “One thing is certain – hydrogen is no longer a niche fringe fuel. The element will play a critical role in the decarbonization of sectors where electrification is not possible, with fortunes to be built along the way……The green hydrogen revolution has already begun.”
Scope of Position
Last year our client completed two heavily oversubscribed financings and is now gearing up for a significant capital raise as part of their go-public round on TSX V. They will be one of, if not the only pure play and publicly listed green hydrogen generation companies in North America and only the fourth globally. They expect to commence trading this spring. In preparation, our client is seeking to hire a key executive team member, the Chief Commercial Officer (“CCO”).
Reporting to the CEO, the CCO will drive the development and execution of the commercialization strategy for the company. This will include building the commercialization infrastructure needed, the go-to-market strategy, product road map and market adoption of the company’s products and capabilities. Profitable long-term revenue growth and delighted customers are key metrics for the role.
No less important, the CCO will achieve these results by cultivating positive relationships across the organization while contributing to a culture of excellence.
This is an outstanding opportunity that features:
- Revolutionary technology design
- Massive market opportunity
- Well-funded organization
- Highly entrepreneurial culture
- An opportunity to make a real difference
- Provide strategic leadership in defining the commercial path to growth and profitability of the company and the establishment of an effective growth process and infrastructure
- Assume responsibility for all commercial activity with direct oversight of Sales, Marketing, Government Relations, Program and Product Management (PMO), and Customer Solutions.
- Lead market research, pricing, product marketing, marketing communications, advertising, and public relations.
- Develop product plan and roadmap incorporating a short, mid and longer-term view of market opportunities and how the firm can position itself to serve those needs.
- Originate and manage business development opportunities that are consistent with the company’s strategy for revenue growth
- Assess, build and manage an array of necessary channels (OEM manufacturers, system integrators, engineering and project management firms etc.) capable of delivering on the company’s growth objectives.
- When appropriate recruit and train an effective sales organization
- Oversee brand development and position the organization as a leader in its field.
- Develop marketing strategies addressing existing and emerging target industries, applications, and customers; and secure key global partnerships.
- Establish and implement CRM system
- Proactively pursue strong positive relationships with employees while implementing an appropriate culture of accountability.
- Contribute to the overall executive management of the firm, as part of the senior management team. Work closely with finance and operations to ensure expectations are aligned.
- Other duties as specified by the CEO.
The following competencies listed below define the role of CCO at Our Client
Focuses strongly on achieving agreed upon outcomes and ensures that key objectives are met. Conveys a sense of urgency and drives issues to closure. Aims to improve upon past performance. Establishes aggressive personal targets and strives to achieve them.
Planning & Objective Setting
Systematic in approach to work. Produces action plans in which objectives are defined and steps for achieving them are clearly specified. Plans by breaking down large task into subtasks. Develops plans that anticipate obstacles. Is realistic about time-scales and builds in appropriate checkpoints, milestones and controls in order to ensure that desired results are realized.
Develops a strategic plan to realize the vision. Revises strategy in light of changing circumstances. Takes a long-term view of organizational success. Works to clarify long term organizational goals. Able to stand back from immediate problems in order to focus on more far reaching ideas.
Applies appropriate commercial and financial principles. Understands situations in terms of costs, profits, added-value and return on investment. Appreciates the commercial impact of own work on the organization’s total expenses and revenues.
Strives to provide customers/clients with personalized and efficient service. Anticipates customers’/clients’ needs. Quickly follows up on customer/client contacts and complaints. Monitors and acts on measures of customer/client satisfaction.
Industry & Market Awareness
Seeks to anticipate and respond to industry and market changes/challenges by understanding key characteristics, issues and the factors driving them. Aware of competitor’s products, services and position.
Consults widely for business or technical advice, probes for facts and obtains information from a wide variety of sources. Differentiates the critical from the irrelevant or trivial. Curious and open-minded while focused on key goals and objectives.
Preferred Experience / Education
The following indicates specific industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables.
- A University Degree in Engineering and an M.B.A or equivalent preferred
- Experience in the renewables or related capital equipment sectors
- Broad experience in business development, product management, engineering roles
- Experience in early stage organizations
- Proven track record of securing strategic partners to expand long-term value proposition of the company
- Proven experience in driving revenue growth in an emerging sector
- A track record of success distinguished by having cultivated positive working relationships with staff, peers and superiors.
- A sophisticated understanding or the processes and metrics required for sales success.
- A bias for action combined with a hands-on approach and an entrepreneurial spirit. The ability to lead from the front and by example.
- Excellent communication and analytical skills.
- Strong leadership abilities.
Remuneration & Benefits
- Highly competitive compensation package structured to the needs of the successful candidate.
If interested, please contact:
Bus: 416-365-9494 Ext. 777