THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
About the Company
Our client, a mid-size owner-operated Company, provides a range of waste management and environmental services to the commercial, industrial and institutional sectors in Ontario.
The Company is committed to developing robust systems and processes to make the business the best it can be, and is seeking a Corporate Controller (“Controller”) who will play a key role in its ongoing success.
The role will be based in the Company’s head office in Toronto.
Scope of Position
Reporting to the President, the Controller is responsible for the coordination of all finance activities for the Company’s branches and for the consolidation and analysis of actual and budgeted results. The Controller will ensure compliance and strict adherence to timetables and formats for all financial reporting. In addition, he/she will ensure the financial data integrity and that internal controls are working effectively.
The Controller will have oversight of approximately 8 people through two direct reports (A/P Supervisor/Administrator, and Payroll Administrator) and three indirect reports (Branch Office Manager/Accountant). He/she will provide leadership and direction on reporting and accounting activities and will provide training, coaching and mentoring to staff.
The Controller will interact regularly with the Branches, and members of the senior management team. The Controller is expected to look beyond the numbers to accurately assess how the numbers reflect the business, identify opportunities to fine-tune operations from a financial perspective, and provide recommendations to assist Operations in their decision making.
There is a need to review and update processes and procedures at the head office and across the branch network, and to improve communications between head office and the branches. The Controller will periodically visit the branches to identify opportunities where the head office can assist operations and simplify or implement best practices used elsewhere.
- Establish and monitor a system of internal controls to safeguard the Company’s assets.
- Ensure that financial reporting (monthly/quarterly/annual) and the processing of accounts payable, billing and accounts receivable is accurate, timely, and consistent.
- Maintain all accounting policies in accordance with GAAP.
- Oversee and guide the budget process.
- Ensure adherence to company credit and collections policy and procedures; monitor compliance in order to maintain lowest possible outstanding balances, and to minimize bad debts.
- Provide guidance, direction and support to the accounting staff in the performance of their duties.
- Review performance of both direct and indirect reports and provide coaching as required.
- Monitor financial results of the business plans. Interpret the results for all levels of management.
- Liaise as required with external auditors and act as the internal point-person for the annual audit.
- Provide guidance and support to head office and branch management as required.
Year One Deliverables/Success Criteria
The candidate will be considered successful if:
1. Financial reporting is completed on a timely and accurate basis
2. The accounting processes are running smoothly in all branches
3. Good relationships have been built within the Company and the Controller is viewed by his/her team, the President and the balance of the executive team as competent, trustworthy and reliable
4. He/she has obtained a deep understanding of the business through discussions with the senior management team and direct reports
5. He/she has assessed the team and the assignment of roles and responsibilities, and ensured that individuals have the appropriate tools and resources to develop their skills
- CMA, CGA or CA
- Undergraduate degree
Experience and Skills
- 8-15 years of increasingly senior financial roles, ideally obtained in a multi-location, large volume, low-dollar transaction environment
- Experience managing a team
- Strong skills are essential in the areas of financial reporting and general accounting related to cash, billings, receivables, fixed assets, payables and budgeting, with particular strength required in the area of variance analysis
- With an ability to look beyond the numbers, this individual will accurately assess how the numbers reflect the business, identify opportunities to fine-tune operations from a financial perspective, and provide recommendations to the operations people to help in their decision making
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Excel with good skills in Word and PowerPoint
- Experience with SAGE ERP system would be an asset
- Effective written and verbal communication skills; able to clearly identify and articulate issues to senior Financial and Operations management; able to develop clearly understood policies and procedures
- Previous experience with acquisitions, as it relates to the post-acquisition integration process, would be beneficial
Personal Style and Attributes
- Conducts himself/herself with the highest ethical and moral standards
- Has an approachable, friendly interpersonal style; is able to build relationships at all levels, is receptive to new ideas and is sensitive to the human dynamics of working within an owner-operated company
- A self-starter who is results driven, with a willingness to be hands-on as required in order to achieve results
- Possesses business acumen and employs a common sense approach
- Listens well; conveys oral and written information in a professional manner
- Has a confident, positive, “can do” attitude balanced with the ability to respectfully take a stand when necessary and tackle issues supported by facts
- Does not hesitate to ask for help early and often if necessary
- Good organizational skills; able to juggle a number of concurrent duties