THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
About the Company
Our client is a Canadian, employee-owned multidisciplinary professional services firm that delivers a comprehensive range of technical and strategic services, including consulting, information technology, engineering, process development, project and construction management to the Mining, Metallurgical, Energy, and Infrastructure sectors. The firm has served clients for over 80 years and has project experience in more than 150 countries around the world, delivering solutions that are smarter, more efficient, and innovative.
Our client is widely recognized for its ability to bridge the gaps between research and innovative technologies, and between engineering and reliable operations. The firm is particularly known for working with senior client management to develop business strategies; managing and optimizing production; executing projects that involve the scale-up of process technologies; and managing start-ups, commissioning and ramp-ups.
Our client delivers unprecedented business results for its clients through a commitment to quality, lower operating costs, more efficient utilization of capital assets, higher standards for safety and risk management, faster start-ups and continuous performance improvements in all projects and programs.
Scope of Position
This is an exciting new leadership role to build a business practice around corporate social responsibility (CSR) and sustainability, serving clients in the Metals, Infrastructure and Energy sectors. Reporting to the Managing Director of the Environmental Services Group (ESG), the mandate is to develop services and a team to offer clients CSR and sustainability consulting and support throughout the full project lifecycle, form initial studies, through project implementation, operations and closure. This person will ensure that the external CSR and sustainability consulting effort is profitable and supports the long-term interests of their clients, the company, and the communities in which they live and work.
This role is primarily external facing, developing a leading-edge CSR practice and service offering for external clients. The individual will also be responsible for internal CSR and sustainability programs.
The Environmental Services Group provides scientific expertise and environmental, risk, social consulting, sustainability and management consultancy services throughout Canada and abroad.
- Lead the effort to create a CSR and sustainability consulting practice for the company encompassing people, environment and performance.
- Develop and implement a business plan to build a revenue and profit generating consulting business around CSR & Sustainability
- Interact at VP and CEO level of clients to advise them on CSR and Sustainability
- Develop and implement a business plan to build a revenue generating consulting business around CSR and sustainability.
- Work cross-functionally collaborating with the company’s internal groups (i.e. Engineering, Environmental Health & Safety, Marketing). Build CSR and sustainability principles into short and long-range business planning and operating plans.
- Form and lead an internal CSR & Sustainability Steering Committee that will help shape and implement our CSR & Sustainability business.
- Serve as the internal leader and “go to” expert for CSR, researching emerging trends, programs and issues, and communicating and educating internal and external stakeholders on relevant topics.
- Serve as the central point of contact for all interfaces with business units, clients and vendors on the subject of CSR and sustainability.
- Lead the interface with government agencies and departments, domestic and international, relating to the company’s responses to questions or statements of position on CSR and Sustainability related matters.
- Assure that all CSR and sustainability initiatives are implemented and aligned with the company’s Risk Management program and strategic plan.
- Build effective partnerships with external organizations to support CSR and sustainability efforts.
- Assess CSR and sustainability performance and identify and prioritize the key issues, reporting on a regular basis.
- Build appropriate controls and measurement systems to support the program / practice and measure and monitor progress against performance targets.
Key Performance Deliverables
In light of the identified responsibilities, the following are specific deliverables that the position is designed to achieve.
- Specific additional measures of performance will be discussed with the successful candidate.
The following competencies listed below define the role of Director – CSR and Sustainability:
Develops a strategic plan to realize the vision. Revises strategy in light of changing circumstances. Takes a long-term view of organizational success. Works to clarify long term organizational goals. Able to stand back from immediate problems in order to focus on more far reaching ideas.
Proactive. Seizes opportunities and acts upon them immediately. Takes responsibility for own actions and addresses problems before asked.
Articulates the key points of an argument persuasively. Negotiates skillfully and convinces others to own point of view. Directly and indirectly impacts the decisions/opinions of others. Mobilizes people into action.
Focuses strongly on achieving agreed upon outcomes and ensures that key objectives are met. Conveys a sense of urgency and drives issues to closure. Aims to improve upon past performance. Establishes aggressive personal targets and strives to achieve them.
Strives to provide customers/clients with personalized and efficient service. Anticipates customers’/clients’ needs. Quickly follows up on customer/client contacts and complaints. Monitors and acts on measures of customer/client satisfaction.
Industry & Market Awareness
Seeks to anticipate and respond to industry and market changes/challenges by understanding key characteristics, issues and the factors driving them. Aware of competitor’s products, services and position.
Helps to create a sense of team spirit and harmonious relations through cooperation and support. Balances personal goals with those of the team. Fosters collaboration among team members.
Applies appropriate commercial and financial principles. Appreciates the commercial impact of own work on the organization’s total expenses and revenues. Understands situations in terms of costs, profits, added-value and return on investment.
Preferred Experience / Education
The following indicates specific industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables:
- University undergraduate degree (Environmental, Engineering, or Business is preferred).
- Professional designation, such as ECO Canada’s Environmental Professional (EP) designation, is an asset.
- Minimum 10 years of experience in an Account Manager, Business Development Manager, Commercial, Engineering, Project Manager or equivalent role, demonstrating increasing responsibilities over time.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in one of the following core industries – mining, energy or infrastructure.
- Sales and business development with established networks and previous experience building a practice in a new market segment.
Remuneration & Benefits
- Highly competitive, unique compensation package to the successful candidate
- Our client is committed to fostering a workforce in each of their locations that reflects the diversity of the communities in which they operate. They are an Equal Opportunity Employer that considers employment applicants without regard to age, race, colour, national origin, citizenship, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, disability or any other protected status. If you have any special needs requirements, they will do their utmost to accommodate, in accordance with applicable local legislation.