THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
About the Company
Our client is a market-leader in Canada’s clean energy sector with a focus on solar photovoltaics, energy storage and electric vehicle charging. They provide fully integrated product solutions for multiple market segments as well as a range of services. This is a well-established, profitable and fast-growing company in an exciting and growing industry.
Scope of Position
Reporting to the CEO and partnering with the senior leadership team, the Vice President, Engineering will be focused on ensuring a balance between engineering discipline and organizational growth while continuously improving company culture and operational excellence. The successful candidate will play a key role by leading a medium-sized team across three departments, including 1) electrical engineering, 2) mechanical and product engineering, and 3) operations & maintenance. This opportunity will appeal to individuals with strong product and project engineering skills as well as strong management experience that want to make a real impact within a rapidly expanding industry.
- Work with the senior management team to develop, refine and implement the strategic direction for the engineering team while ensuring tight alignment of strategies, technologies, people and processes with other business units.
- Be a champion for continued growth and operational excellence through strong communication and continuous improvement of internal processes by ensuring ongoing collaboration between the engineering team and other core teams, including the delivery of product- and service-related technical support to the sales and marketing team.
- Drive a structured product development and management process for the company’s in-house manufactured/assembled products. This includes developing and executing against product roadmaps, oversight of costing and quality assurance and customer-focused support tools. Products involve electrical, structural and mechanical engineering disciplines.
- Provide leadership and oversight for the delivery of services to clients through the project lifecycle (from early-stage development, to installation/construction and ongoing operations and maintenance activities) and across multiple technical service categories (electrical, mechanical and structural engineering).
- Promote a strong dependable team environment and one-company culture through strong leadership and the effective use of mentoring, coaching, performance management and skills development. Conduct annual performance reviews, salary reviews and career development planning for all engineering team member. Support internal training through curriculum development and ensue training delivery (directly and via engineering team members).
- Develop hiring plans to build and retain world class capabilities and work with HR to execute through both internal and external recruitment.
- Contribute to the development of the company’s annual budget through collaboration with the CEO and other senior leaders and manage the engineering business unit annual budget. Take responsibility for and track progress for key performance metrics (such as revenues, costs, time, quality) for engineering services across project and product delivery offerings.
- Alongside the CEO and other senior leaders, make regular presentations to the Board of Directors on key performance indicators for the company.
- Serve as an ambassador for the company by representing it at conferences, speaking engagements, and other external industry related events as well as through participation on standards bodies, industry association working groups and external training initiatives.
Integrity & Sincerity: Inspires trust and supports others through own authenticity and following up on commitments. Maintains high ethical standards both personally and professionally. Shows consistency among principles.
Strategic Approach: Develops a strategic plan to realize the vision. Revises strategy in light of changing circumstances. Works to clarify organizational goals. Able to stand back from immediate problems in order to focus on more far-reaching ideas.
Role Expertise: Demonstrates critical technical or professional knowledge/skills related to the role. Expands technical knowledge/skills and keeps up-to-date in own area of expertise.
Commercial Acumen: Applies appropriate commercial and financial principles. Understands situations in terms of costs, profits, added-value and return on investment.
Results Orientation: Focuses strongly on achieving agreed upon outcomes and ensures that key objectives are met. Conveys a sense of urgency and drives issues to closure. Aims to improve upon past performance. Establishes aggressive personal targets and strives to achieve them.
Information Seeking: Consults widely for business or technical advice, probes for facts and obtains information from a wide variety of sources. Differentiates the critical from the irrelevant or trivial.
Team Skills: Helps to create a sense of team spirit and harmonious relations through cooperation and support. Balances personal goals with those of the team. Fosters collaboration among team members.
Preferred Experience / Education
- 10+ years hands on experience in engineering and 5+ years of team management experience.
- Electrical P.Eng. strongly desired (structural and mechanical disciplines will be considered).
- Tangible experience in commercializing new products and/or processes including the delivery of products from prototype stage on schedule and on-budget in previous roles at a senior level.
- Strong business and financial acumen and a demonstrated track record of leadership within your field.
- Experience growing a P&L and experience in a high-growth, entrepreneurial environment an asset.
- Outstanding communication skills, interpersonal skills and ability to work independently, with a team and to collaborate across various departments.
- Formal management training (including previous employer-delivered training) a strong asset.
- Experience in solar photovoltaics, energy storage and electric vehicle charging a strong asset but industries with relevant applicability will be considered.
- Ability to know when to be more hands on in delivering the work vs. managing the strategy and team that is delivering the work.
- Exhibits high standards of business and personal ethical conduct.
Remuneration / Benefits / Location
- Highly competitive compensation package tailored to the successful candidate.
- Hybrid office/remote flexibility possible. Some travel required (domestic and international).
If interested, please contact: Jonathan Frank at [email protected]