About the Company
Established in 1988, our client is a leading Wealth Management and Investment Counseling firm providing customized portfolio management services to High Net Worth families, foundations and endowments across Canada.
With approximately $2.5B of assets under management, our client is a well-established, independently managed investment manager. It has an enviable reputation for unwavering commitment to integrity and its business success is aligned with that of its clients.
With a growing client base and an eye toward the future, our client now looks to bring on board a Vice President, Client Service & Business Development.
Scope of the Position
Reporting to the firm’s Director of Client Service and Business Development, the Vice President, Client Service & Business Development is responsible for: taking ownership of new client growth strategies; increasing the firm’s AUM; increasing the exposure of the firm’s brand in the marketplace; and for servicing existing clients and managing their portfolios on an ongoing basis.
The successful individual will contribute to the growth and profitability of the business through two primary areas of responsibility, namely, (1.) Business Development Strategy & Activities (Building the Business) and (2.) Strengthening and Maintaining Client Relationships.
Over time, if the successful candidate demonstrates the necessary skills, they will be provided an opportunity to lead all members and activities related to the client service and business development group while continuing to develop business for the firm.
Business Development Strategy and Activities
- Actively works their referral network and client leads, for potential new business opportunities,
- Introduces the firm’s capabilities to potential prospects and referral network
- Works with the marketing committee in developing and implementing effective strategies to achieve business growth targets and client diversification plans (cultural, generational)
- Analyzes market trends and client needs to identify new business development opportunities. Keeps in regular contact with past and existing clients to explore new opportunities.
- Gathers and uses market intelligence to maintain an understanding of the market and of the firm’s competition to inform benchmarking, contingency planning and competitive strategies.
- Develops and oversees the maintenance of a database of high-quality information on the firm’s clients and competitors that’s used as a reference for creating business development opportunities.
- Analyzes and evaluates the progress towards the firm’s revenue goals and make recommendations for required adjustments, where necessary.
- Provides ongoing detailed and accurate sales forecasting and tracking.
- Works closely with the marketing committee in establishing a marketing/branding program. Ensures profitability and brand positioning is maintained.
- Develops and/or works collaboratively with the VP Marketing in the design of presentations to new and existing clients promoting the strengths and capabilities of the firm at client meetings and events.
Building Client Relationships
- Earns and maintains client’s trust by providing them with assistance and advice on wealth management matters. Provides superior client service – able to demonstrate their expertise and experience with the investment process, as well as identifying key financial objectives
for each client that conveys their wealth is carefully managed based on individual
- Meets with the client to establish goals and objectives and to respond to any questions/concerns regarding their portfolio. Customizes all presentation materials to the specific needs of the client and directs them to other resources within the firm i.e. financial/tax/estate planning, as needed.
- Stays up to date on investments and asset performance by attending regular meetings with the investment team, resulting in accurate and timely information to clients. Invites an investment team member to meetings with clients, when appropriate.
- Writes topical blogs for the firm’s website, articles for the firm’s newsletter, and occasionally white papers/client interest pieces for broad dissemination and/or targeted marketing campaigns.
- Plans, designs, organizes and leads a variety of special events that engages existing clients, targets new investors and expands the firm’s reach (i.e. Back-to-Basics Investments Series, Youth Series, Women and Wealth Series), in collaboration with the marketing committee.
The following competencies listed below define the role of Vice President, Client Services & Business Development:
Able to stand back from immediate problems in order to focus on more far reaching ideas. Develops a strategic plan to realize the vision. Revises strategy in light of changing circumstances. Takes a longterm view of organizational success. Works to clarify long term organizational goals.
Planning & Objective Setting
Develops plans that anticipate obstacles. Is realistic about time-scales and builds in appropriate checkpoints, milestones and controls in order to ensure that desired results are realized. Plans by breaking down large task into subtasks. Produces action plans in which objectives are defined and
steps for achieving them are clearly specified. Systematic in approach to work.
Anticipates customers’/clients’ needs. Monitors and acts on measures of customer/client satisfaction. Quickly follows up on customer/client contacts and complaints. Strives to provide customers/clients with personalized and efficient service.
Aims to improve upon past performance. Conveys a sense of urgency and drives issues to closure. Establishes aggressive personal targets and strives to achieve them. Focuses strongly on achieving agreed upon outcomes and ensures that key objectives are met.
Industry & Market Awareness
Aware of competitor’s products, services and position. Seeks to anticipate and respond to industry and market changes/challenges by understanding key characteristics, issues and the factors driving them.
Demonstrates critical technical or professional knowledge/skills related to the role. Has thorough knowledge of relevant products, services and methods. Expands technical knowledge/skills and keeps up-to-date in own area of expertise.
Demonstrates a genuine passion for the industry, client service, working in a team and business growth.
Demonstrated Experience / Preferred Education
The following indicates specific industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables.
- Undergraduate degree, ideally an MBA, and holds either a CFA or CIM designation.
- Must be registered with the OSC as a Portfolio Manager Advising Rep (PM AR) or a Client Relationship Management Advising Rep (CRM AR).
- A minimum of 10 years of working in the wealth management industry and deep knowledge of the industry and related regulatory and compliance requirements.
- Experience deploying investment concepts, financial planning, analytics and investment administration.
- Client focused, an entrepreneurial mindset with a ‘trusted advisor’ orientation that easily builds trust and credibility in developing business.
- Exhibiting a high EQ with an established and proven network to develop and manage pipeline of opportunities and convert prospects into clients.
- Ability to qualify leads and focus on opportunities that have the most strategic and financial impact for the firm.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills—ability to interact successfully with colleagues and clients using a positive, collaborative approach.
- Excellent written, and verbal communications skills.
- Persuasive, credible, and is a polished communicator with excellent influencing and networking skills.
- A team player, who can interrelate and operate effectively with peers and other associates within a collegial, yet demanding, work environment.
- Our client requires that all employees share the following core values: Love to Learn, Value Respect, Are Clear Communicators, Take Ownership, Bring a Positive Attitude, Act as collaborative Team Players.
Remuneration & Benefits
A compensation package commensurate with experience will be available
If interested, please contact:
Bus: 416-365-9494 Ext. 233
Bus: 416-365-9494 Ext. 555