THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
About the Company
Our client is a very successful video-on-demand software company with rich experience of almost 20 years. Headquartered in Ontario, Canada with offices in the United States, Europe, and Asia, our client’s software is used by over 35 million consumers across the world. They work closely with global brands in sectors such as automotive, telecommunications and electronics.
Scope of Position
Reporting to the Vice President of Engineering, the Director of Quality Assurance will be responsible for providing vision and hands-on leadership to ensure world class standard of functional and user experience quality for next generation software for customer premise equipment. This will enable customers, including Telco and Cable MSOs, to offer best-in-class user experiences across a variety of devices.
- Manage, mentor and grow a QA team starting with 10-15 people located between offices in Canada and Europe
- Devise and implement strategies to improve testing processes for end-to-end product and customer deliverables
- Quickly understand the product architecture and design test strategies to test functional and non-functional specs (load, stress, duration, etc).
- Drive technology and testing strategy in QA for usage of automated regression
- Define reporting of test results and drive best-in-class quality results
- Work closely with Product Management and Development teams in an Agile process
Key Performance Deliverables
In light of the identified responsibilities, the following are specific deliverables that the position is designed to achieve.
- Specific measures of scheduling, quality, costs, revenues, customer satisfaction etc will be discussed and agreed upon with the successful candidate.
The following competencies listed below define the role of Director of Quality Assurance –
Planning & Objective Setting
Systematic in approach to work. Produces action plans in which objectives are defined and steps for achieving them are clearly specified. Plans by breaking down large task into subtasks. Develops plans that anticipate obstacles. Is realistic about time-scales and builds in appropriate checkpoints, milestones and controls in order to ensure that desired results are realized.
Strives for excellence in products, processes and/or services through continued evaluation, enhancement and redefinition of quality standards
Able to stand back from immediate problems in order to focus on more far reaching ideas. Develops a strategic plan to realize the vision. Revises strategy in light of changing circumstances. Takes a long-term view of organizational success. Works to clarify long term organizational goals.
Strives to provide customers/clients with personalized and efficient service. Anticipates customers’/clients’ needs. Quickly follows up on customer/client contacts and complaints. Monitors and acts on measures of customer/client satisfaction.
Aims to improve upon past performance. Conveys a sense of urgency and drives issues to closure. Establishes aggressive personal targets and strives to achieve them. Focuses strongly on achieving agreed upon outcomes and ensures that key objectives are met
Demonstrates critical technical or professional knowledge/skills related to the role. Has thorough knowledge of relevant products, services and methods. Expands technical knowledge/skills and keeps up-to-date in own area of expertise.
Establishes and communicates clear priorities and sense of direction. Clarifies roles and responsibilities. Adapts management style to achieve optimum results.
Preferred Experience / Education
The following indicates specific industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables.
- You are a clear thinker and can visualize, articulate and execute on a quality strategy, processes, and goals
- You demonstrate transformative leadership to improve efficiencies and results of growing teams
- Passionate about quality, achieving results and not afraid to get hands-on
- Able to handle multiple projects, unblocking things when they are stuck and working collaboratively to find solutions to problems to meet business objectives
- Attention to detail and strive to get things done quickly with great results
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Math, or an Engineering discipline
- 8+ years of progressive QA experience, including 4+ years experience managing QA teams and implementing test strategies
- Experience with driving down manual regression testing and driving up automated regression
- Experience with customer premise equipment QA
- Experience with end-consumer UX quality and usability
Remuneration & Benefits
- Highly competitive base, variable and stock plan for the successful candidate.