THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
Our client is a global provider of innovative essential fatty acid (EFA) solutions. The products are used in nutraceuticals, functional foods, skin care products, cosmetics, animal feed, veterinary products and over-the-counter pharmaceuticals. The company has offices and facilities in Canada, the United States, Europe and China, enabling international distribution of our innovative EFA products. Our client controls a significant portion of its own supply chain so can offer higher assurances of quality and quick turnarounds to its customers. Over the past several years the company has continued its growth and is looking to continue its trajectory and capitalize on the robust North American market.
To facilitate the continuing growth our client is looking to add a VP Sales and Marketing to the senior management team.
Reporting to the CEO and heading up a sales and marketing team of approximately eight professionals in sales, marketing and customer service, the VP Sales and Marketing will be responsible for:
- Contributing to the overall senior management team of the business.
- Leading the company’s positioning in the North American marketing including product offerings.
- Creating annual sales and marketing plans.
- Ensuring revenue targets are reached.
- Providing direction to, leading and monitoring sales staff to ensure that activities align with business plan and results align with targets.
- Working with the sales team to ensure that proper sales processes are followed and that the pipeline of opportunities is effectively managed.
- Continuing to train and mentor the sales and marketing staff.
- Managing the planning, development and generation of company marketing, communications and promotional materials, including marketing collateral materials, web-based points-of-contact/portals, and oversee the development and execution of advertising programs.
- Working with the product development organizations to create and refine new products for the market.
- Keeping abreast of competitive products in the marketplace and industry developments that will affect our client.
- Interacting with clients during periodic sales calls and trade shows.
- Monitoring delivery of product to clients to ensure client satisfaction.
The following competencies listed below define the role of Vice-President Sales and Marketing
Focuses strongly on achieving agreed upon outcomes and ensures that key objectives are met. Conveys a sense of urgency and drives issues to closure; Aims to improve upon past performance; Establishes aggressive personal targets and strives to achieve them.
Industry & Market Awareness
Seeks to anticipate and respond to industry and market changes/challenges by understanding key characteristics, issues and the factors driving them. Aware of competitor’s products, services and position.
Establishes and communicates clear priorities and sense of direction. Clarifies roles and responsibilities. Adapts management style to achieve optimum results.
Develops a strategic plan to realize the vision. Revises strategy in light of changing circumstances. Takes a long-term view of organizational success. Works to clarify long term organizational goals. Able to stand back from immediate problems in order to focus on more far reaching ideas.
Proactive. Seizes opportunities and acts upon them immediately. Takes responsibility for own actions and addresses problems before asked.
Planning & Objective Setting
Systematic in approach to work. Produces action plans in which objectives are defined and steps for achieving them are clearly specified. Plans by breaking down large task into subtasks. Develops plans that anticipate obstacles. Is realistic about time-scales and builds in appropriate checkpoints, milestones and controls in order to ensure that desired results are realized.
Preferred Experience / Education
The following indicates specific industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables.
- A minimum of ten years of experience in sales and marketing with a minimum of five years in a leadership role.
- Experience working with remote sales forces would be a distinct asset.
- Knowledge of the nutraceutical market would be considered highly advantageous.
- A hands-on style and a willingness to “roll-up the sleeves” are critical to work effectively in a company of this scale.
- A degree in chemistry or nutrition would be highly desirable.
- Ability to travel extensively or a willingness to relocate.