Our client is one of Canada’s largest independent accounting and business advisory firms. Founded in 1926, and with full service offices in Montreal, Toronto and Calgary, the firm provides financial advisory services in the areas of auditing, taxation, corporate restructuring, business valuation, corporate finance, litigation support, insolvency, forensic accounting, and wealth management.
Scope of the Position
Reporting to the Assurance and Tax practice Leader, the Sr. U.S. Tax Consultant and Practice Leader will assume full responsibility for providing US Tax advisory services to the firm’s extensive client base.
US Tax Services assist the company’s clients on compliance and planning matters such as deciding which US corporate structure makes the most sense from a tax perspective – subsidiary, branch, or joint-venture partnership; assist clients in choosing the type of subsidiary capitalization that is most beneficial – debt, equity, or a combination of the two; determine how a limited liability company (LLC) can help the company meet certain strategic objectives; and assist in the preparation of US tax-return filing requirements.
As the practice lead the individual will work closely with the company’s Partners and their clients on tax compliance and planning initiatives and requirements. In addition the individual will direct the work of US Tax staff, including reviewing their work for accuracy and completeness.
Functional Tasks and Behaviours
• Provide day to day leadership to a team of practitioners and support staff. Provide ongoing support and mentoring for the professional development of staff.
• Provide the firm with in-depth understanding of U.S. tax planning and compliance.
• Manage the firm’s overall US compliance, research, consulting and planning issues, ensuring the firm is current, if not leading edge in its knowledge and capabilities.
• Manage the firm’s US compliance, research, consulting and planning issues. Advise Canadian companies on the tax implications of their US operations.
• Plan and organize teams for the preparation of tax returns while conducting and presenting tax research.
• Reviewing the work of junior staff for accuracy and completeness. Provide feedback, performance management and nurture an environment that fosters career development
• Lead small and medium size client engagements.
• Research and prepare tax-planning strategies for clients.
Key Performance Deliverables
In light of the identified responsibilities, the following are specific deliverables that the position is designed to achieve.
• Specific performance measures will be agreed upon with the successful candidate.
Preferred Education & Experience
The following indicates specific industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables.
• Experience with mid-market clients in industries such as Manufacturing, Wholesale, Distribution, High Tech/Life Sciences, Retail, Professional Services, Non-Profit, etc.
• Must have a minimum of 8 years recent public accounting experience with an emphasis in US tax compliance and tax review experience.
• Ability to deliver high quality, profitable services to assigned clients, while meeting or exceeding personal productivity objectives.
• Excellent Communication Skills. Communicates continuously with client and team members, and Partners, and the engagement team. Plan client engagements while providing expert tax consulting services.
• Prior experience supervising and reviewing the work of team staff members. Provides timely performance feedback to team members; both formally and informally.
Remuneration & Benefits
• High competitive compensation structure commensurate with experience.