THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
Our client is a major bank-owned capital markets group with operations around the world. The organization has recently made the decision to create, in Toronto, a technology group to support the risk applications for the derivatives trading group. This will be a new group within the Toronto team and work closely with the global derivatives team.
As well as an initial challenging project our client offers a career progression within the technology team of a world class capital markets organization with potential to progress.
Reporting to the Senior Director of Derivatives Technology the Director Derivative Risk Systems will create the team and lead the overall design and development of a cross-functional, multiplatform, application system within the global derivatives and strategic risk business. More specifically the individual will be responsible for:
• Recruiting and managing the team to deliver the project on time and within budget.
• Interfacing with key internal business clients to conduct reviews of business line needs and goals for development and implementation.
• Developing the applications architecture and blueprints which reflect the business processes for the line of business.
• Choosing the appropriate architecture that ensures proper interoperability and interfaces.
• Conduct reviews and analysis of organizational needs and goals for the development and implementation of applications.
• Provide a leadership role in mapping the applications architecture to the chosen technology platform. Define application components, platforms, interfaces, and development tools.
• Provide technical guidance to application development teams. Consults on integration and conversion activities. Recommends redesign or redevelopment. Selects technologies to provide long-term compatibility and flexibility.
• Conduct reviews and analysis of line of business needs and goals for the development and implementation of applications.
• Lead technologist driving the main relationship with the business Quantitative Analysts team to align the technology work with the underlying analytics libraries.
• Leading a team of developers creating work packages, making design decisions, creating and tracking execution of work packages thus overseeing the development end-to-end – from the initial design
documentation to the development package handover to the QA team.
• Working with an assigned project manager, create the work plans and team assignments that will ensure timely execution within specifications.
• Oversee development work and resolve any challenges within the scope of the project.
• Consulting on integration and conversion activities.
• Working with the QA team to ensure that the tests are properly designed and any highlighted issues are resolved.
Our client seeks the following competency profile, experience and technical skills.
Industry & Market Awareness. Seeks to anticipate and respond to industry and market changes/challenges by understanding key characteristics, issues and the factors driving them; Aware of competitor’s products, services and position.
Planning and Objective Setting. Develops plans that anticipate obstacles. Is realistic about time-scales and builds in appropriate checkpoints, milestones and controls in order to ensure that desired results are realized. Plans by breaking down large task into subtasks. Produces action plans in which objectives are defined and steps for achieving them are clearly specified. Systematic in approach to work.
Communication. Expresses ideas in a clear, fluent and concise manner; Written and oral arguments are compelling and responsive to the needs of the audience; Comprehends communications from others and responds appropriately.
People Management. Adapts management style to achieve optimum results. Clarifies roles and responsibilities. Establishes and communicates clear priorities and sense of direction.
Experience and Technical Skills:
• Strong academic credentials in computer science and mathematics coupled with expert-level knowledge of C++ and C# in a large-scale software initiatives
• Ten or more years of experience working with Quantitative Analysts and strong knowledge of financial derivatives across multiple assets
• Previous assignments to have included close interaction with Front Office, Quantitative Analysts, and Risk practitioners