THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
About the Client
Client is Canada’s largest security printing company, with over 1,400 employees worldwide. It has production facilities in: Ottawa, Ontario; Calgary, Alberta; Virginia, USA; New York, USA; and operations in: Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario; Romania; Honduras; Nicaragua; the Caribbean; and other countries.
The supply of Canadian currency, passports and postage stamps are three important activities entrusted to the Client. Client has expanded from this base to the supply of the same and similar products to many other countries and today more than half of Client’s sales originate outside of Canada. In the 1980’s Client expanded into the Lottery Systems business area and today is active in supplying and managing lottery games in many countries with a special focus on the Caribbean as well as Latin, Central and South America.
Scope of Position
Reporting to the Vice President, International Business Development the Director of International Business Development will be responsible for leveraging the company’s current market position and qualifying and establishing a new customer base in Central and South America with a specific focus on Government opportunities, and delivering strong sales margins. He/she will be part of an international team that represents Central and South America as well as Africa, Europe and the Caribbean. This team supported by proposal writers, finance and technical subject matter experts will identify and respond to business opportunities that fit within the parameters set by Client. Ability to operate within a matrix-managed environment, utilizing resources that are shared with other members of the team will be very important.
The ideal candidate has strong ethical standards is highly professional and has the ability to fit into the Client culture. He/she should have a technical sophistication that will be necessary to understand the customer environment and the appropriate solution. In addition the successful candidate will need to translate the Latin culture and way of doing business into the Client environment. This cultural integration is a critical component to the business success. In addition, relating to and supporting the seven core values of Client will be expected. Reason, integrity, honesty, independence, justice, productivity and pride are the driving force behind the need to be the best in the world and a contributing member of the team.
As a key member of the business development team, the Director of Business Development will be accountable and responsible for the following:
- Establishing a plan for a complete range of business development activities.
- Prioritizing and developing strategies to pursue the established plan.
- Managing all phases of the development/sales life cycle from developing the demand, through to closing new business.
- Managing the relationship from the beginning of the development/sales life cycle and through the operational delivery and support and maintenance cycles.
- Identifying and introducing key decision makers in international Governments to our products and services.
- Developing and maintaining relationships with decision makers within international Governments.
- Leading clients through a consultative development/sales process, with a problem solution technology approach.
- Establishing and building relationships with leveraging existing Lottery Systems customer base, identifying new opportunities and focusing on growing our share of the customers’ business.
- Maintaining business development plans, budgets and preparing monthly updates on order timings, revenues, margins and developing alternative plans when necessary to ensure annual revenues and targets are met.
- Participating in strategic planning, business development and marketing activities.
- Maintaining external and internal relationships to deliver exceptional customer service at all times.
- Establishing and leading virtual teams from other departments to prepare proposals and directing the complete range of pre-sales activities for potential customers, demonstrating leadership throughout the process.
- Establishing and leading contract negotiations, with support from Client’s Legal, with the customer and manage customer relationships during project implementation.
- Becoming fully knowledgeable on the complete range of Client products and services.
Preferred Experience / Education
The following indicates specific industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables.
- A University Degree in Business, Commerce, Sciences.
- 10+ years of business development/sales experience, ideally in systems and solutions.
- Fluently bilingual in English / Spanish (written & spoken)
- Proven track record in:
- Identifying, developing and delivering new business with experience specific to Latin America
- Developing and maintaining strong and trusted relationships with customers
- Consistently achieving and exceeding established sales targets and objectives
- Managing multiple, complex development/sales efforts simultaneously
- Managing direct reports and virtual teams
- Networking within all levels of government and agencies
- Negotiation and arbitration skills, leading to “win-win” resolutions
- Ability to:
- Stay focused and positive during prolonged sales cycles
- Ensure effective use of resources
- Work independently or in a group setting
- Convey ideas and information effectively and efficiently
- Think strategically, see the “big picture” and is detailed oriented
- Listening and interpretive skills to facilitate leadership and maintain effective customer relationships
- High degree of tenacity and persistence to get tasks completed on schedule.
- Excellent communication skills
- Extremely motivated, meticulously organized, possessing premium analytical skills.
- Strong understanding of deadlines and commitment to schedules
- Performs well under pressure
- Able to travel extensively, up to four/five months per year
Remuneration & Benefits
Competitive base salary plus bonus. Bonus is based on personal, division and company targets.
Combined contribution pension plan and health benefits.