THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
About the Company
Our Client is a group of complementary businesses using compounding technology and engineering expertise to create value for its customers, through the design, development, manufacture and sale of rubber products to industrial, automotive, defense, first response and healthcare markets. The firm is among the largest in its industry.
Our client is Canadian and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX).
Scope of Position
Our client is undertaking a search for an executive to lead its Rubber division through its next stage of growth. The President – Rubber joins a growing company with solid industry fundamentals, a superb reputation, high industry rankings, a talented team and the opportunity for significant growth.
Owning the strategy and driving its execution will be the responsibility of the new President – Rubber. Reporting to the President of the company, the President – Rubber will lever the company’s positioning, momentum and growing markets to assess and enhance the strategy, systems, processes and people necessary to significantly accelerate revenues and profits. It is expected that the successful candidate will bring a driving, hands-on, ‘lead from the front’ approach to that task while nurturing a collaborative culture of excellence.
The President – Rubber will be a member of the executive management that develops, plans, and directs strategies for the direction and administration of the divisional business activities, including materials management, engineering, customer service, quality, estimating, manufacturing, R&D, technical services and sales support, to obtain economy of operations and maximize profits by performing the following duties personally or through subordinate supervisors.
The President – Rubber will also be responsible for leading and controlling the operational performance of the company, driving results to meet and exceed business plans, the incumbent drives the division to achieve profitable growth by delivering on customer commitments, meeting internal budget commitments and overcoming obstacles.
This is an outstanding opportunity that features:
- Market Leading positioning
- Large opportunity for growth
- Committed and well-funded organization
- Highly entrepreneurial corporate culture
- An opportunity to make a real difference
- Establish company and financial goals in partnership with the Head Office in order to expand the company’s market share and improve the overall profitability of the company.
- Oversee the day-to-day operations of the company to ensure the timely implementation and execution of the business and financial plans.
- Architect the organization ensuring that it has in place the human resources, processes and operational capabilities by which to scale and the corporate culture to outperform.
- Develop an operating budget and initiate actions to operate within those fiscal plans.
- Drive the revenue build process with growth the goal. Refine and align the sales organization to those goals. Maintain, improve, create senior level relationships with existing and potential customers and strategic partners.
- Provide ongoing direction, performance management and developmental support to the executive team. Continue to build world-class capabilities by selecting, training, compensating and motivating all personnel (ie right people in right roles at right time doing the right things).
- Perform formal performance evaluations. Focus the team to accelerate and drive the growth in revenues, new market development, sector leadership and profitability.
- Create and sustain a viable organizational structure to make optimum use of human resources, technology and systems.
- Remain abreast of the industry, competitors and trends with a view to ensuring that all alliance, acquisition and investment opportunities are considered and the most attractive pursued.
- Promote organization in industry, manufacturing or trade associations
- Where possible, lead the expansion of the company business and brand into new markets. Engage with strategic stakeholders in those markets.
- As the key interface between division and corporate, maintain the necessary communication and coordination with Controller and corporate resources.
- Provide the most reliable projections on future performance that can be developed, as well as reliable reports of current performance.
- Report regularly and proactively to the President and other key stakeholders on results and plans going forward.
- Develops, plan, and direct strategies for the direction and administration of the Solutions Division operation activities, including materials management, engineering, customer service, quality, estimating, manufacturing, R&D, technical services and support, to obtain economy of operations and maximize profits by performing the following duties personally or through subordinate supervisors.
- Determine and establish, through joint consideration and planning, long term and short term labour relations objectives consistent with operational requirements, employee relations initiatives, profitability, capability and capacity requirements of the business. This includes review and approval responsibility on any changes to labor strategy or precedent being undertaken.
- Ensure compliance with applicable laws and regulations
- Ensure operational milestones are met on time, with high quality and that they meet the cost objectives that are established; reporting on a monthly as well as a quarterly basis.
- Drive the division to achieve profitable growth by delivering on customer commitments, meeting internal budget commitments and overcoming obstacles.
- Monitor capacity and make the sales and program management teams aware of impending slow periods so that they can help fill in any troughs
- Where off-target, develop plans with teams to adjust course and communicate to the stakeholders.
Key Performance Indicators
- Specific measures of performance relating to growth, profitability, quality, customer satisfaction, etc. will be discussed and agreed upon with the successful candidate.
The following competencies listed below define the role of President – Rubber:
Develops a strategic plan to realize the vision. Revises strategy in light of changing circumstances. Takes a long-term view of organizational success. Works to clarify long term organizational goals. Able to stand back from immediate problems in order to focus on more far reaching ideas.
Focuses strongly on achieving agreed upon outcomes and ensures that key objectives are met. Conveys a sense of urgency and drives issues to closure. Aims to improve upon past performance. Establishes aggressive personal targets and strives to achieve them. Stays ahead of the noise and sets the tone and agenda daily to drive the management team and employees towards the company’s goals.
Establishes and communicates clear priorities and sense of direction. Clarifies roles and responsibilities. Adapts management style to achieve optimum results.
Makes an immediate positive impression upon others. Has presence and commands respect. Comes across with force and quickly establishes credibility. Accurately predicts the effects of own words and actions. Makes an immediate positive impression upon others.
Recognizes when change is necessary; Challenges the status quo and champions new initiatives; Acts as a catalyst to change and stimulates others to change; Develops and effective action plan to implement change and monitors results.
Strives to provide customers/clients with personalized and efficient service. Anticipates customers’/clients’ needs. Quickly follows up on customer/client contacts and complaints. Monitors and acts on measures of customer/client satisfaction.
Applies appropriate commercial and financial principles; Understands situations in terms of costs, profits, added-value and return on investment; Imagines future possibilities. Thinks broadly and investigates a wide-range of alternatives in developing a vision for the future. Selects the most promising vision from a range of alternatives and communicates this vision to others.
Industry & Market Awareness
Seeks to anticipate and respond to industry and market changes/challenges by understanding key characteristics, issues and the factors driving them. Aware of competitor’s products, services and position.
Preferred Experience / Education
The following indicates specific industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables.
- Minimum of 7-10 years of experience in senior leadership capacity and at least five years in a senior role with specific revenue growth achievements.
- Bachelor’s degree from four-year college or university in Engineering, Operations Management, or Business Administration
- Experience in rubber or related industries
- Experience in implementing best practices in sales, marketing, engineering, operations, and quality systems.
- Proven ability to instil and foster a ‘culture of winning’. Creates value in every interaction with all stakeholders.
- Experience in people management roles with recruitment, selection, hiring, coaching, feedback, employee engagement and performance management.
- A driving management style which leverages the strengths of the existing team while stretching and motivating them in attaining breakthrough results.
- Track record defined in part by an ability to consistently execute on agreed upon objectives.
- A highly intelligent, strategically minded executive with superb communication and interpersonal skills and a willingness to roll-up his/her sleeves.
- Strong sales and operations centric leader and marketing orientation marked by a sense of urgency and a demonstrable track record of accelerating growth.
Remuneration & Benefits
- Highly competitive compensation package tailored to the successful candidate.