About the Company
Our client is an award-winning, employee-owned multidisciplinary firm that delivers a comprehensive range of technical and strategic services, including consulting, information technology, engineering, process development, project and construction management to large industrial sectors. The firm has served clients for over 80 years and has project experience in more than 150 countries around the world.
The firm is widely recognized for its ability to bridge the gaps between research and innovative technologies, and between engineering and reliable operations. It is particularly known for working with clients to develop business strategies and technologies; managing and optimizing production; executing projects that involve the scale-up of process technologies; and managing start-ups, commissioning and ramp-ups.
Our client delivers unprecedented business results for its clients through a commitment to quality, lower operating costs, more efficient utilization of capital assets, higher standards for safety and risk management, faster start-ups and continuous performance improvements in all projects and programs.
Scope of Position
The global energy transition is upon us. As we shift to a low carbon world, meeting the growing demand for energy will require revolutionary thinking and a variety of resources. While the market is challenging, these challenges present opportunities and serve as a major catalyst for change. With innovative, global businesses in Power, ESG, Advisory and Digital, our client is a global leader in that change process.
Our client is currently seeking an individual to lead its Renewables Practice in the US. The group is part of the firm’s Power business reporting to the global head of Power. This is a key, significant role in a fast-growing business with tremendous growth opportunities across the organization. The role will involve internal and external business development and marketing, team building and management.
Our client’s market offerings include:
Design, engineering, procurement, and construction management
Successful project delivery depends on strict schedule oversight, tight scope management, effective project controls, and smart design options. Our client is experienced at putting all the pieces together in the right sequence, combining them to maximize quality and reduce risks and life cycle costs.
Due diligence and independent engineering
Investors, lenders, and owners want the confidence that comes with knowing their projects are financially sound and technically viable. Proper planning is needed to evaluate the feasibility of a proposed schedule, the accuracy of project costs, and the suitability of technology and location.
Energy resource assessments and site selection
Resource assessment is critical for the development of a successful wind or solar power project. The detailed evaluation of the wind regime or solar irradiation at a power project site enables accurate energy yields to be predicted and financial projections to be made.
Environmental assessments and management
To ensure a successful project, developers need a partner who can interface with regulatory agencies and facilitate the permitting processes. Our client conducts thorough environmental assessments using the latest techniques and technologies to cost-effectively collect data. Their teams are also adept at community engagement, communicating the costs and benefits of solar and wind projects to the public.
Off-grid and/or hybrid power solutions
Remote communities and industrial facilities want to reduce their reliance on liquids fuels such as oil and diesel, which can have unpredictable, volatile prices and risks to the environment. Wind and solar power offer clean alternatives that can be integrated into a remote energy mix or existing grid-connected infrastructure system. Improved methodologies, such as our client’s proprietary microgrid controller technology, help integrate renewables into these settings.
Our client’s business is growing and dynamic, and thus the Renewables Leader will require an entrepreneurial spirit with a technical soul. Key to success will be the ability to understand client industry trends and leverage internal and external relationships to identify, target and capitalize upon the tremendous market growth before it.
- Work with the senior management team to develop, refine and implement the strategic direction for the Renewables practice. This will include developing and focusing the strategic and technology road maps and market plans with the goal of expanding and improving market penetration and enhancing competitive positioning.
- Work closely with Energy Sector Leadership and its clients to identify and develop opportunities.
- Work closely with the other practice leads within the client’s other businesses to ensure tight alignment of strategies, technologies, people and processes.
- Building and developing the Renewables practice through internal and external recruitment of the best talent and through ongoing team development.
- Provide ongoing direction, performance management and developmental support to the Renewables team. Continue to build world-class capabilities.
- Focus the team to accelerate and drive the growth of the business, new market penetration and development, sector leadership and profitability.
- Ensure that the Renewables practice is fully aligned with the objectives and direction of the organization.
- Align the culture, values, metrics and governance of the Renewables practice to those of the overall organization.
- Report regularly and proactively to the Energy Sector Leader on results and plans going forward.
- Champion the group’s interests to major customers and internal stakeholders.
- Lead the expansion of the practice and brand into new customers and markets. Engage with strategic stakeholders in those customers.
- Remain abreast of the industry, competitors and technology trends with a view to ensuring that the firm’s services best align to market needs. Ensure that all alliance, acquisition and investment opportunities are considered and the most attractive pursued.
- Serve as an ambassador for the group representing it at conferences, speaking engagements, and other external industry related events.
- Where possible, leverage relationships and projects to the benefit of other divisions and the organization as a whole.
- Use Renewables opportunities and pursuits as a mechanism to drive growth of the firm’s other business practices, where synergies can be achieved.
Key Performance Deliverables
In light of the identified responsibilities, the following are specific deliverables that the position is designed to achieve.
- Specific performance measures will be discussed with and agreed upon with the successful candidate.
The following competencies listed below define the role of Power Systems Studies Leader:
Develops a strategic plan to realize the vision. Revises strategy in light of changing circumstances. Takes a long-term view of organizational success. Works to clarify long term organizational goals. Able to stand back from immediate problems in order to focus on more far reaching ideas.
Applies appropriate commercial and financial principles. Understands situations in terms of costs, profits, added value and return on investment. Appreciates the commercial impact of own work on the organization’s total expenses and revenues.
Focuses strongly on achieving agreed upon outcomes and ensures that key objectives are met. Conveys a sense of urgency and drives issues to closure. Aims to improve upon past performance. Establishes aggressive personal targets and strives to achieve them.
Proactive. Seizes opportunities and acts upon them immediately. Takes responsibility for own actions and addresses problems before asked.
Strives to provide customers/clients with personalized and efficient service. Anticipates customers’/clients’ needs. Quickly follows up on customer/client contacts and complaints. Monitors and acts on measures of customer/client satisfaction.
Industry & Market Awareness
Seeks to anticipate and respond to industry and market changes/challenges by understanding key characteristics, issues and the factors driving them. Aware of competitor’s products, services and position.
Incorporates information about the organization’s structure and protocol into decisions. Attentive to the internal politics and alert to shifting interpersonal dynamics. Establishes the necessary support networks and cross-functional relationships through rapport building. Recognizes, maintains and effectively balances the interests and needs of one’s own group with those of the broader organization.
Helps to create a sense of team spirit and harmonious relations through cooperation and support. Balances personal goals with those of the team. Fosters collaboration among team members.
Demonstrates critical technical or professional knowledge/skills related to the role. Has thorough knowledge of relevant products, services and methods. Expands technical knowledge/skills and keeps up-to-date in own area of expertise.
Preferred Experience / Education
The following indicates specific industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables:
- Minimum of 10-15 years of experience in the renewable energy sector
- Eng. or demonstrated eligibility for registration
- Experience in growing a P&L
- Proven experience in creatively applying integrative solutions to solving problems
- Experience working in energy markets
- Knowledge of the energy regulatory environment
- Broad experience across renewable energy project development, engineering, construction and operations an asset
- Strong business development and client development orientation
- A highly intelligent, strategically minded executive with superb communication and interpersonal skills and a willingness to roll-up his/her/their sleeves
- Strong team orientation well-suited to building consensus in a global concern
- Experience in building and managing distributed teams of professionals
- Team leadership experience
Remuneration & Benefits
- Highly competitive, unique compensation package to the successful candidate.
If interested, please contact:
Bus: 416-365-9494 Ext. 777
StoneWood Group, Toronto
Bus: 416-365-9494 Ext. 229