THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
About the Company
Our client is a ground-breaking online lender based in London. It launched its first website in October 2007 and rapidly became one of Europe’s most innovative credit businesses. The firm’s mission is to solve people’s short term and urgent cash flow problems with an equally short term and responsible solution.
Our client is transforming the European credit market by offering small, short term loans online with more speed, convenience and flexibility than banks, high street lenders and other websites. It removes the complexity and inflexibility consumers face whenever they need to borrow some cash in a hurry.
The company is different from other online lenders because our sophisticated risk and decision technology means the application and approval process takes literally minutes. It is the first company in the world to fully automate the lending process and it is able to make completely objective and responsible decisions around the clock. There’s no paperwork, meetings with bank managers or hanging on the phone – the entire service is online and real-time. The firm’s platform is uniquely flexible, allowing applicants to choose exactly how much cash they want to borrow and for how many days they need it.
Our client is well-funded and has received financial backing from some of the most prestigious venture capital firms in Europe and North America. These funds have backed the likes of Facebook, LinkedIn and Salesforce.
Scope of Position
Reporting to the Head of International Operations, the Managing Director will be responsible for identifying and developing market opportunities for our client’s platform and online execution in Canada. The role will focus on growing and establishing credibility in the Canadian marketplace, with a particular focus on working with stakeholders to develop our client’s image as a disruptive, responsible, transparent and consumer-centric lender.
This role is critical to our client’s continued growth and success. It requires the ability to identify, engage, influence, motivate and influence legislators, regulators across all levels of management in order to build a broad range of committed, strategic relationships.
• Drive the establishment and growth of the company in Canada
• Refine the company’s value proposition in Canada and define the supporting messaging product specification
• Establish presence and credibility in the Canadian market, with a particular focus on working with stakeholders to develop the company’s image as a disruptive, responsible, transparent and consumer-centric lender
• Identify new opportunities and partnerships to increase the company’s penetration in Canada
• Position the company at the forefront of Canadian payments technology: work with other industry and government players to develop a business-grade, cost-effective, 24/7, real-time electronic fund transfer mechanism that the company will pioneer in its sector
• Work with the COO to own and deliver on the P&L of the Canadian business
• Liaise closely with management in London and provide reports on activities
Key Performance Deliverables
In light of the identified responsibilities, the following are specific deliverables that the position is designed to achieve.
• Specific performance measures will be agreed upon with the successful candidate prior to joining the organization.
The following competencies listed below define the role of Managing Director: Canada
Develops a strategic plan to realize the vision. Revises strategy in light of changing circumstances. Takes a long-term view of organizational success. Works to clarify long term organizational goals. Able to stand back from immediate problems in order to focus on more far reaching ideas.
Draws parallels across situations and contexts. Divides problems into their individual elements. Develops several explanations or alternatives. Separates the core of a problem from its symptoms and can identify cause and effect.
Imagines future possibilities. Thinks broadly and investigates a wide-range of alternatives in developing a vision for the future. Selects the most promising vision from a range of alternatives and communicates this vision to others.
Articulates the key points of an argument persuasively. Negotiates skillfully and convinces others to own point of view. Directly and indirectly impacts the decisions/opinions of others. Mobilizes people into action.
Makes an immediate positive impression upon others. Has presence and commands respect. Comes across with force and quickly establishes credibility. Accurately predicts the effects of own words and actions. Makes an immediate positive impression upon others.
Quickly adapts to new situations and approaches. Open to change and readily adopts new methods in the face of shifting priorities and ambiguity. Can alter own perspective and behaviour in order to adjust to changing demands and plans.
Preferred Experience / Education
The following indicates specific industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables.
• Entrepreneurial leader, with enthusiasm, drive, convention-defying energy and a strong work ethic.
• Experience working for a small start-up with a proven track record of success in building a consumer business – very consumer minded or from a strategic consumer marketing background.
• Ideally worked in the online space with an understanding of technology businesses
• Understanding of Canadian market, ability to relate to consumers and commercial acumen to know what products will work in that market.
• Strong consumer marketing skills to promote the company, products and tell the client story.
• Strong influencer, able to build partnerships; evangelise about the brand; confidently and comfortably manage controversy and differentiate our client from pay day loan companies.
• Assertive communication style and strong decision making skills.
• Strong team player.
• With a strong presence, excellent rapport building skills, diplomatic and thoughtful.
• Inspiring leader and people person able to create and promote the company culture in Canada.
• Technology and process-bias essential in order to understand the technology, solution capabilities so that solutions can be instantly conceived and created.
• Must have thorough experience in dealing with C-suite executives.
• Must have demonstrated ability to structure and design complex partnership agreements.
• Undergraduate degree is required, MBA or similar designation ideal.
Remuneration & Benefits
• Our client offers a competitive package including base-salary; performance based variable package, and comprehensive benefits.