THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
About the Company
Our client is an award-winning large employee-owned multidisciplinary firm that delivers a comprehensive range of technical and strategic services, including consulting, information technology, engineering, process development, project, and construction management to large industrial sectors. The company has served clients for over 80 years and has project experience in more than 150 countries worldwide.
Our client’s ability to bridge the gaps between research and innovative technologies and between engineering and reliable operations is widely renowned. The company is particularly known for working with clients to develop business strategies and technologies; managing and optimizing production; executing projects that involve the scale-up of process technologies; and managing start-ups, commissioning, and ramp-ups.
It delivers unprecedented business results for our clients through a commitment to quality, lower operating costs, more efficient utilization of capital assets, higher standards for safety and risk management, faster start-ups and continuous performance improvements in all projects and programs.
Scope of Position
This is an exciting new leadership role to build a business practice around Climate Change, Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR), and Sustainability. The mandate is to develop services and a team to offer existing clients Climate Change, CSR, and Sustainability consulting and support throughout the full project lifecycle, from initial studies, through project implementation, operations and closure. This person will ensure that the external Climate Change, CSR, and Sustainability consulting effort is profitable and supports the long-term interests of their clients, the company, and the communities in which they live and work.
This role is also accountable for leading the implementation of relevant strategies to build a Climate Change, CSR, and Sustainability consulting business, and to include it in the company’s other projects. Such strategies will position our client to become a leading service provider in Climate Change, CSR, and Sustainability consulting in Mining & Metals, Infrastructure and Energy.
This role is primarily external facing, developing a leading-edge Climate Change, CSR, and Sustainability practice and service offering for external clients. The individual will also be responsible for internal programs.
The Environmental Services Group provides scientific expertise and environmental, risk, social consulting, Sustainability and management consultancy services around the world.
- Lead the effort to create a U.S. Climate Change, CSR and Sustainability consulting practice for the company encompassing people, environment and performance.
- Develop and implement a business plan to build revenue and profit-generating consulting business around Climate Change, CSR & Sustainability
- Interact at VP and CEO level of clients to advise them on Climate Change, CSR and Sustainability.
- Develop and implement a business plan to build a revenue-generating consulting business around Climate Change , CSR and Sustainability.
- Work cross-functionally collaborating with the company’s internal groups (i.e. Engineering, Environmental Health & Safety, Marketing). Build Climate Change , CSR and Sustainability principles into short and long-range business planning and operating plans.
- Form and lead an internal Climate Change, CSR & Sustainability Steering Committee that will help shape and implement our Climate Change, CSR & Sustainability business.
- Serve as the internal leader and “go-to” expert for Climate Change, CSR, & Sustainability researching emerging trends, programs and issues, and communicating and educating internal and external stakeholders on relevant topics.
- Serve as the central point of contact for all interfaces with business units, clients and vendors on the subject of Climate Change, CSR and Sustainability.
- Lead the interface with government agencies and departments, domestic and international, relating to the company’s responses to questions or statements of position on Climate Change, CSR and Sustainability related matters.
- Assure that all Climate Change, CSR and Sustainability initiatives are implemented and aligned with the company’s Risk Management program and strategic plan.
- Build effective partnerships with external organizations to support Climate Change, CSR and Sustainability efforts.
- Assess Climate Change, CSR and Sustainability performance and identify and prioritize the key issues, reporting on a regular basis.
- Build appropriate controls and measurement systems to support the program/practice and measure and monitor progress against performance targets.
- Identify relevant public policy trends, regulatory impacts (environmental, operational, and financial) and anticipate emerging challenges that may affect business operations.
- Monitor and review activities of environmental groups think tanks, and other influential external stakeholders.
- Communicate developments and provide research and analysis to internal stakeholders.
- Assist in the execution and delivery of Climate Change, CSR and Sustainability strategies.
- High-level interaction with external stakeholders, especially members of regulatory authorities, NGOs, community groups, rate-payer associations, etc.
- Educate employees and management on Climate Change-related topics.
- Assist in the preparation of supporting materials, including communication materials, training documents and technical reports.
- Participates in projects with cross-functional teams to address business opportunities or challenges.
- Provides environmental expertise for new projects.
Key Performance Deliverables
In light of the identified responsibilities, the following are specific deliverables that the position is designed to achieve.
- Specific additional measures of performance will be discussed with the successful candidate.
The following competencies listed below define the role of Climate Change, CSR and Sustainability Practice Lead:
Develops a strategic plan to realize the vision. Revises strategy in light of changing circumstances. Takes a long-term view of organizational success. Works to clarify long-term organizational goals. Able to stand back from immediate problems in order to focus on more far-reaching ideas.
Proactive. Seizes opportunities and acts upon them immediately. Takes responsibility for own actions and addresses problems before asked.
Articulates the key points of an argument persuasively. Negotiates skillfully and convinces others to own point of view. Directly and indirectly, impacts the decisions/opinions of others. Mobilizes people into action.
Focuses strongly on achieving agreed-upon outcomes and ensures that key objectives are met. Conveys a sense of urgency and drives issues to closure. Aims to improve upon past performance. Establishes aggressive personal targets and strives to achieve them.
Strives to provide customers/clients with personalized and efficient service. Anticipates customers’/clients’ needs. Quickly follows up on customer/client contacts and complaints. Monitors and acts on measures of customer/client satisfaction.
Industry & Market Awareness
Seeks to anticipate and respond to industry and market changes/challenges by understanding key characteristics, issues and the factors driving them. Aware of competitor’s products, services and position.
Helps to create a sense of team spirit and harmonious relations through cooperation and support. Balances personal goals with those of the team. Fosters collaboration among team members.
Applies appropriate commercial and financial principles. Understands situations in terms of costs, profits, added-value and return on investment. Appreciates the commercial impact of own work on the organization’s total expenses and revenues.
Preferred Experience / Education
The following indicates specific industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables.
- Education: Bachelor’s/University Degree (Science, Environmental, Geology, Engineering, or Business is preferred).
- Additional Education Preferred: Master’s/Graduate Degree.
- Work Experience: minimum 10 years.
- Some experience in one of the firm’s core industries preferrable – mining, energy or infrastructure.
- Sales and business development with established networks and previous experience building a practice in a new market segment.
- Thorough knowledge of environmental legislation and relevant regulations.
- Familiarity with policy issues central to Environment and Climate Change.
- Excellent written and verbal (formal and informal; negotiation; coaching) communication skills and excellent presentation skills.
- Effective and demonstrated interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities.
- Ability to work collaboratively with internal and external stakeholders.
- Discretion in handling proprietary and confidential information.
- Travel may be required.
- Strong leadership abilities and ability to influence.
- Visionary thinker with the ability to turn that into a strategy and deliver complex and integrated plans and objectives.
- Ability to manage through ambiguity in program implementation.
- Understanding of the social environment and the existing trends and practices inherent in working with Non-Governmental Organizations.
- Strong research skills.
- Functional experience in government affairs with proven relationships and coalition-building skills essential.
- An understanding of legislative processes and decision-making by federal and state governments.
Highly competitive, unique compensation package to the successful candidate
Our client is committed to fostering a workforce in each of their locations that reflects the diversity of the communities in which they operate. They are an Equal Opportunity Employer that considers employment applicants without regard to age, race, colour, national origin, citizenship, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, disability or any other protected status. If you have any special needs requirements, they will do their utmost to accommodate, in accordance with applicable local legislation.
If interested, please contact:
Bus: 416-365-9494 Ext. 777
Bus: 416-365-9494 Ext. 221