THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
About the Company
Our client grows, supplies, and distributes premium meat products (lamb, beef, goat, mutton etc.) to customers around the world. The firm is a privately-owned, multi-billion-dollar success story with thousands of team members guided by a defining set of strong unwavering values. Their commitment to providing the very best in customer service is matched only by their commitment to the highest quality products. With strict hygiene and handling standards and a fierce belief in doing things the right way, they simply don’t compromise on quality. They are also keenly aware of their responsibility to the animals, people and communities in which they work. Safety, animal welfare, and sustainability are all a part of the fabric of the business and are integrated into everything they do.
With operations in the US, Australia, China, Japan, Europe, and now Canada, our client’s brands continue to expand. In addition, through various business partnerships, the firm sources products from around the world. The US facility alone features a 265,000 square foot SQF certified cold warehouse and further processing facility. Major US customers include Wegman’s, Aldi, Publix, Costco, Walmart, Shoprite, Target, Albertsons, Giant, Giant Eagle, Fresh Market etc. Online fulfillment customers include Hello Fresh, Blue Apron, and Butcher Box.
Part of the secret behind our client’s success is that they are constantly experimenting and branching out from their roots as leaders in premium lamb, beef, goat, mutton into an ever-expanding array of new products and markets.
Scope of Position
The Canadian market presents significant opportunities for our client, and as a result, they have been investing heavily to build a world-class Canadian organization and team. A key role in meeting their objectives will be the Vice-President Retail, Canada who will be entrusted with building the firm’s retail presence across Canada.
Reporting to the President, the Vice-President Retail, Canada will be responsible for developing and implementing sales strategies and execution plans with major retailers such as Costco, Loblaws, Metro, Sobeys, Walmart and other regional and specialty players. The individual will be responsible for meeting sales targets against agreed-upon plans while maximizing short and long-term margin, volume, and customer revenue goals across the company’s broad product portfolio and capabilities.
This is an outstanding opportunity that features:
- Strong industry and global market leader;
- Unique family culture;
- A ground floor, high growth market opportunity;
- A chance to make a real difference.
- Contribute in developing the overall sales plan and, if possible, the marketing plan.
- Assist with the preparation of sales operational plans by product and category, including detailed sales plans and budgets, ensuring that they are complete and align with the objectives of the company.
- Manage full sales cycle from prospecting through to product implementation (case ready, retail-ready further processed proteins as well as protein processing capabilities including grinding).
- Create strategies and define critical opportunity points to grow revenue by exploiting the firm’s product and pricing points of differentiation
- Lead from the front – assume responsibility for account acquisition and management
- Identify opportunities to better serve retail customers and innovate while fulfilling consumer needs in the region.
- Work closely with the procurement organization, review and confirm weekly replenishment orders plus monthly and quarterly advertisement promotions in line with the sales plan and any changing customer demand.
- Keep President and procurement team up to date on any customer activities that may impact demand for the product.
- Act as the primary point of contact with customers and ensure that they receive exceptional levels of communications, new programs information and distribution strategies to meet their needs.
- Communicate the channels of distribution in conjunction with the company logistics and transportation team to ensure timely, reliable deliveries of customer orders.
- Review and monitor accounts receivables for customers, ensuring prompt payments are received so as to reduce Company exposure to bad debts and to improve cash flow.
- Prepare monthly territory reports and general comments on customers’ purchases versus plans as well as relevant market activity.
- Ensure that the President is kept abreast of all relevant risks, opportunities, trends, developments and information relating to the market.
- Identify and execute new retail product opportunities.
- Nurture a network to provide market intelligence in order to keep abreast of competitive activities and customer developments while protecting the company’s financial and volume interests.
- Provide detailed and accurate forecasting to drive and guide sales activities.
- Promote organization within the industry, manufacturing or trade associations.
Key Performance Deliverables
In light of the identified responsibilities, the following are specific deliverables that the position is designed to achieve.
- Specific measures of performance will be discussed and agreed upon with the successful candidate.
The following competencies listed below define the role of Vice-President Retail, Canada:
Focuses strongly on achieving agreed-upon outcomes and ensures that key objectives are met. Conveys a sense of urgency and drives issues to closure. Aims to improve upon past performance. Establishes aggressive personal targets and strives to achieve them.
Develops a strategic plan to realize the vision. Revises strategy in light of changing circumstances. Takes a long-term view of organizational success. Works to clarify long term organizational goals. Able to stand back from immediate problems in order to focus on more far-reaching ideas.
Proactive. Seizes opportunities and acts upon them immediately. Takes responsibility for own actions and addresses problems before asked.
Demonstrates critical technical or professional knowledge/skills related to the role. Has thorough knowledge of relevant products, services and methods. Expands technical knowledge/skills and keeps up-to-date in own area of expertise.
Planning & Objective Setting
Systematic in approach to work. Produces action plans in which objectives are defined, and steps for achieving them are clearly specified. Plans by breaking down a large task into subtasks. Develops plans that anticipate obstacles. Is realistic about time-scales and builds in appropriate checkpoints, milestones and controls in order to ensure that desired results are realized.
Applies appropriate commercial and financial principles. Understands situations in terms of costs, profits, added value and return on investment. Appreciates the commercial impact of own work on the organization’s total expenses and revenues.
Strives to provide customers/clients with personalized and efficient service. Anticipates customers’/clients’ needs. Quickly follows up on customer/client contacts and complaints. Monitors and acts on measures of customer/client satisfaction.
Adopts an energetic approach; Works towards goals and willingly tackles demanding tasks; Demonstrates capacity for sustained effort and hard work over long periods of time, even in the face of adversity.
Preferred Experience / Education
The following indicates specific industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables.
- University degree or equivalent preferable.
- Minimum of 8 to 10 years’ experience as a Senior Sales professional or sales manager developing and implementing sales strategies for a protein manufacturer or distributor.
- Previous experience and proven success in selling fresh/frozen protein products to major retailers such as Metro, Loblaws, Costco or Walmart.
- Understanding of case-ready, retail-ready further processed proteins as well as protein processing capabilities.
- Experience in demand planning and execution.
- Experience in contract negotiations, structuring, establishing, and managing sales goals.
- Experience with early-stage companies where multitasking is required, and the ability to build from scratch is critical.
- Willingness to travel as required
- A desire to architect and build a great company.
Remuneration & Benefits
- Willingness to travel as required Industry leading base plus bonus compensation package
If interested, please contact:
Bus: 416-365-9494 Ext. 777