THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
About the Company
Our client is a highly successful, progressive and expanding family owned business based in the Fraser Valley, outside of Vancouver, BC. They now have nearly 700 employees. They manufacture locally and distribute their special purpose vehicles across the country through their network of dealerships. They have an exceptional reputation for their people and value-driven culture … where they treat employees, customers and suppliers with the greatest respect. They are very community-minded and active supporters of numerous charities.
Scope of Position
The company continues to grow, having more than doubled in size in the past five years alone. To support such continued growth, the company needs to ensure that they employ best-practices across all areas of Human Resources strategies, processes, procedures, and systems.
Reporting directly to the CEO, the Director of Human Resources will be responsible for nurturing and supporting a culture that attracts, motivates and retains the firm’s human capital. This will include guiding and support the organization on all HR matters to meet its strategic objectives and goals for profitability and growth. In addition, this Director of Human Resources will also be responsible for overseeing the company’s legal matters as applied to the firm’s human resources.
This mandate is truly “transformational’, driving change and improvements throughout the organization to allow them to keep growing while continuing as the leader in their sector. With no shortage of opportunities to contribute, this role will appeal to individuals with boundless energy and ambition looking to make an impact while growing both personally and professionally.
The Director will manage Human Resources to support both head office and distributed business operations. He/she will serve as a member of the senior management team and be involved in the overall planning and management of the organizational mission, goals, and priorities. He/she will work with the support of the Leadership Team in an effort to consistently provide the support, guidance, and resources necessary to create a great place to work for all employees.
Key responsibilities of the role:
- Direct all functional activities of the Human Resources department including recruitment, training & development, benefits & compensation, communications & documentation, health & safety, and any other HR duties or projects as assigned.
- Partner with the senior leadership executive team, general managers, department managers and employees to identify and address the critical HR needs of the organization and achieve an effective long range HR strategy.
- Work in compliance with Provincial Authorities, WCB, legal counsel … as well as working closely with service providers such as benefits providers, recruitment agencies, etc.
- Direct the Human Resources department staff including HR and Payroll Administrators, Coordinators and Assistants.
- Research and evaluate best practices in Human Resources management policies, procedures, methodologies, and metrics.
- Establish benchmarks for organizational effectiveness, employee performance, training and career development, health, and benefits, employee relations and payroll.
- Lead the development of, and effectively manage and integrate HR policies and programs including performance reviews, succession planning, career development, performance management, goal setting and reviews, training and mentoring, employee benefits, employee handbook, etc.
- Counsel and work with senior leadership team to ensure compensation plans are competitive and promote attitudes and behaviors that support the firm’s goals and values.
- Drive initiatives to accelerate the integration of new employees, align workforce around goals and priorities, and instill an HR culture of continuous improvement … while monitoring and measuring compliance and engagement.
- Work with the CEO and other senior leaders to define and effectively communicate organizational values to drive culture of service, professionalism and performance excellence
- Develop HR strategies to identify and address competency, knowledge, talent and performance gaps.
- Develop recruitment and retention strategies to attract and retain top talent.
- Assess and upgrade current training programs; launch management mentoring initiatives to support employee growth and development. Identify and stretch high potential talent.
- Field employee surveys to assess and monitor employee engagement on key initiatives such as culture.
- Create and manage employee recognition and awards programs.
- Manage the firm’s health and safety programs against best practices in the sector.
Key Performance Deliverables
In light of the identified responsibilities, the following are specific deliverables that the position is designed to achieve.
- Specific key performance measures will be discussed and agreed upon with the successful candidate.
The following competencies listed below define the role of Director of Human Resources:
Demonstrates critical technical or professional knowledge/skills related to the role. Has a thorough knowledge of relevant products, services and methods. Expands technical knowledge/skills and keeps up-to-date in own area of expertise.
Encourages others by creating enthusiasm, a feeling of investment and a desire to excel. Inspires a healthy attitude to work by recognizing positive contributions.
Focuses strongly on achieving agreed upon outcomes and ensures that key objectives are met. Conveys a sense of urgency and drives issues to closure. Aims to improve upon past performance. Establishes aggressive personal targets and strives to achieve them.
Articulates the key points of an argument persuasively. Negotiates skilfully and convinces others to own point of view. Directly and indirectly impacts the decisions/opinions of others. Mobilizes people into action.
Recognizes when change is necessary. Challenges the status quo and champions new initiatives. Acts as a catalyst to change and stimulates others to change. Develops an effective action plan to implement change and monitors results.
Makes an immediate positive impression upon others. Has presence and commands respect. Comes across with force and quickly establishes credibility. Accurately predicts the effects of own words and actions. Makes an immediate positive impression upon others.
Integrity & Sincerity
Inspires trust and supports others through own authenticity and following up on commitments. Maintains high ethical standards both personally and professionally. Shows consistency among principles.
Helps to create a sense of team spirit and harmonious relations through cooperation and support; Balances personal goals with those of the team; Fosters collaboration among team members.
Preferred Experience / Education
The following indicates specific industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables.
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent, as well as CHRP Certification.
- 5+ years of broad-based and progressive experience in general human resources senior leadership role.
- Demonstrated success in leading a strategic, transformative HR function.
- Experience in communicating and presenting progressive HR strategies and plans to senior management. Ability to support ideas and plans with appropriate facts and data.
- Recognized for abilities to manage significant change of corporate cultures.
- Proven leadership and management skills with a knowledge of current industry best-practices.
- Results orientation, proactive and possessing a drive to succeed.
- Able to influence others and effect change of direction, while keeping participants fully engaged.
- Must be capable of interfacing effectively at all levels of the organization.
- Possess excellent communications skills, strong organizational skills, and well-developed tact and diplomacy.
- Must be a team player.
- Experience in privately owned mid-sized businesses.
- Strong values alignment to the company’s values.
- Should have a working knowledge of MS Office.
Remuneration & Benefits
- Highly competitive compensation package tailored to the successful candidate.