THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
About the Company
Our client is a well-established Canadian software services company that provides management and implementation consulting services in the area of Corporate Performance Management (CPM) and Business Analytics. Our client’s mission is to deliver the highest value to its customers with unparalleled solutions/services built on innovative technologies, deep technical knowledge and exceptional customer service. Customers include major corporations in financial services, retail, government, manufacturing and healthcare. Specialized and highly regarded, the firm has grown to become a leader in its field.
While our client’s services business continues to flourish, its vision has always been to build, in parallel, a successful product business. Leveraging its sophisticated understanding of best practices in CPM, our client has developed an innovative software platform for sales performance management (SPM) encompassing incentive compensation management, planning and forecasting, sales profitability management and predictive analytics. Available via cloud or on-premise, our client’s fully-integrated SPM offering boasts best-in-class features, functionality and value.
Based in Toronto, our client is privately owned and led by successful, proven industry veterans.
Scope of Position
Armed with differentiated market offerings, established reference accounts, and large addressable markets, our client is poised for explosive growth. Driving that growth will be the responsibility of the Vice-President of Sales.
Reporting to the COO, and assuming a pivotal position on the management team, the Vice President Sales will be responsible for developing, directing and executing the company’s sales strategy for its SPM platform into select mid-market enterprise markets.
Working as a ‘player/coach’ the VP of Sales will drive top line results while building an effective and scalable outside sales, inside sales and lead generation organization.
This is an outstanding opportunity that features:
- Strong industry and company growth
- Proven, innovative technology
- Committed and well-funded owners
- Highly entrepreneurial culture
- An opportunity to make a real difference
- Develop specific plans and strategies for market capture to achieve the company’s aggressive revenue and profit objectives.
- Take a major role in key account relationships, closing complex deals and building ongoing relationships.
- Hire, train, organize and effectively deploy a high performing sales organization. Architect the team ensuring that it has the resources, processes and operational capabilities by which to outperform and scale.
- Establish sales metrics and KPIs.
- Develop and implement enhanced sales processes to monitor sales funnels and forecasts. Establish a repeatable sales model incorporating a strong value proposition for the different client markets and geographies.
- Focus the team to accelerate and drive the growth of the business, new market development, sector leadership and profitability.
- Maintain, improve, and create senior level relationships with existing customers with a view to driving additional revenues.
- Ensure operational milestones are met on time, with high quality – and that they meet the cost objectives that are established.
- Remain abreast of the industry, competitors and trends.
- Report regularly and proactively to senior management on results and plans going forward.
- Adapt business model to capitalize on evolving customer needs and new competitive offerings.
- Participate in the company’s strategy planning sessions bringing forward innovative ideas and plans in an attempt to bring the company to the next level.
- Assist with corporate positioning and competitive analysis, customer segment selection and penetration plans, and related product positioning.
- Where appropriate, act as a spokesperson for the company with press and analysts and at industry events.
- Provide input on product roadmap that incorporates customer feedback and ensures competitive advantage in the marketplace.
Key Performance Deliverables
In light of the identified responsibilities, the following are specific deliverables that the position is designed to achieve.
- Specific measures of performance relating to revenues, customer acquisition, profitability, customer satisfaction, etc. will be discussed and agreed upon with the successful candidate.
The following competencies listed below define the role of – Vice President Sales.
Focuses strongly on achieving agreed upon outcomes and ensures that key objectives are met. Conveys a sense of urgency and drives issues to closure. Aims to improve upon past performance. Establishes aggressive personal targets and strives to achieve them.
Develops a strategic plan to realize the vision. Revises strategy in light of changing circumstances. Takes a long-term view of organizational success. Works to clarify long-term organizational goals. Able to stand back from immediate problems in order to focus on more far reaching ideas.
Establishes and communicates clear priorities and sense of direction. Clarifies roles and responsibilities. Adapts management style to situation to achieve optimum results. Develops a high-performing team that delivers in a highly complex organization or situation.
Proactive. Seizes opportunities and acts upon them immediately. Takes responsibility for own actions and addresses problems before asked.
Helps to create a sense of team spirit and harmonious relations through cooperation and support. Balances personal goals with those of the team. Fosters collaboration among team members.
Strives to provide customers/clients with personalized and efficient service. Anticipates customers’/clients’ needs. Quickly follows up on customer/client contacts and complaints. Monitors and acts on measures of customer/client satisfaction. Develops high-impact relationships with key external clients, with the ability to envision and advocate a mutually beneficial long-term partnership between the company and the client.
Industry & Market Awareness
Seeks to anticipate and respond to industry and market changes/challenges by understanding key characteristics, issues and the factors driving them. Aware of competitor’s products, services and position.
Applies appropriate commercial and financial principles. Understands situations in terms of costs, profits, added-value and return on investment. Appreciates the commercial impact of own work on the organization’s total expenses and revenues.
Preferred Experience / Education
The following indicates specific industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables.
- A highly intelligent, strategically minded sales executive with superb communication and interpersonal skills and a willingness to roll-up his/her sleeves.
- Understands market trends and analyzes customer buying patterns. Takes an organized and systemic approach to selling.
- Actively participates in the sales process, including interacting with potential and current customers.
- Has very practical and concrete orientation towards the selling process that emphasizes being responsive and action-orientated.
- Takes an approach to selling which emphasizes setting very high standards for achievement, and a strong results orientation.
- Minimum of 10-15 years of selling experience with at least five years in a leadership capacity with specific revenue growth responsibilities.
- Previous experience in a software based company required.
- North America wide experience preferably to mid-markets
- Early stage experience where the sales leader leads from the front and must wear multiple hats.
- Strong business development orientation.
- Strong team orientation well-suited to building consensus in a growing concern.
- Toronto-based or willingness to relocate to Toronto.
- A charismatic, inspirational leader rather than manager.
Remuneration & Benefits
Highly competitive base, variable and equity compensation package to the successful candidate