About the Company
Headquartered in the Greater Toronto Area and with operations throughout eastern Canada our client provides a suite of industrial services to a broad range of enterprise clients.
Acquisitive, privately owned and led by a highly dynamic and entrepreneurial leadership team, our client is ideally positioned to continue exploiting a growing and significant market opportunity.
Our client now needs to bring on-board a Vice President, Human Resources to ensure the company’s human capital strategies are aligned to its ambitious growth objectives.
Scope of Position
The Vice President, Human Resources will act as an organizational architect and business partner to the Company’s senior leadership team leading the development and implementation of best-in-class HR policies, programs and procedures to serve the business in becoming a “Best in Class” employer of choice.
Responsible for designing and cultivating an agile, scalable work environment that attracts, organizes, motivates and retains the Company’s human capital will be the primary task of the successful candidate. This will include guiding and supporting the business on all HR matters to meet its strategic goals for profitability and growth.
- Establish/refine benchmarks for organizational effectiveness, employee performance, training and career development, health and benefits, employee relations.
- Lead the development of, effectively manage and integrate HR policies and programs including performance reviews, succession planning, career development, performance management, goal setting and reviews, training and mentoring, employee benefits, employee handbook etc.
- Develop and refine employee incentive programs, succession planning and attraction and retention programs.
- Create and manage employee compensation, recognition and awards programs, processes, systems and initiatives in a manner that facilitates the growth and scaling of the business.
- Drive initiatives to accelerate integration of new employees, align workforce around goals and priorities, and instil a “one company” culture; monitor and measure employee compliance and engagement.
- Establish/foster a values-based HR culture centered around innovation, respect, continuous improvement and diversity and inclusion.
- Work with the senior leadership team to establish and effectively communicate Company values to drive culture of service, professionalism, and performance excellence.
- Develop recruitment and retention strategies to attract and retain top talent across all roles in the organization.
- Establish employee performance metrics, career development and succession plans
- Assess and upgrade current training programs; launch management mentoring initiative to support employee growth and development, as appropriate.
- Develop and manage a broadly-based talent management and development program, focusing on career development and succession planning; benchmark talent against external competition.
- Develop and lead an employee engagement plan including, field employee surveys to assess and monitor employee engagement on key initiatives, e.g. safety, culture, diversity and inclusion.
- Manage employee relations from onboarding, disputes, terminations, health and safety, employee training, and employee related legal compliance.
- Drive a Best in Class HR Organization
The following competencies listed below define the role of Vice President, Human Resources:
Develops a strategic plan to realize the vision. Revises strategy in light of changing circumstances. Takes a long-term view of organizational success. Works to clarify long term organizational goals. Able to stand back from immediate problems in order to focus on more far-reaching ideas.
Planning & Objective
Setting Systematic in approach to work. Produces action plans in which objectives are defined, and steps for achieving them are clearly specified. Plans by breaking down a large task into subtasks. Develops plans that anticipate obstacles. Is realistic about time-scales and builds in appropriate checkpoints, milestones and controls in order to ensure that desired results are realized.
Recognizes when change is necessary; Challenges the status quo and champions new initiatives; Acts as a catalyst to change and stimulates others to change; Develops an effective action plan to implement change and monitors results.
Helps to create a sense of team spirit and harmonious relations through cooperation and support. Balances personal goals with those of the team. Fosters collaboration among team members.
Makes an immediate positive impression upon others. Has presence and commands respect. Comes across with force and quickly establishes credibility. Accurately predicts the effects of own words and actions. Makes an immediate positive impression upon others.
Draws parallels across situations and contexts. Divides problems into their individual elements. Develops several explanations or alternatives. Separates the core of a problem from its symptoms and can identify cause and effect.
Expresses ideas in a clear, fluent and concise manner. Written and oral arguments are compelling and responsive to the needs of the audience. Comprehends communications from others and responds appropriately.
Preferred Experience / Education
The following indicates specific industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables:
- 12 years + of strategic progressive HR leadership experience.
- Bachelor’s or advanced degree with a focus on business, OD or HR with a CHRP/CHRL designation.
- Proven track-record and experience partnering with the business and senior leadership team to influence and effect change.
- Experience working in fast-paced, growth-oriented, M&A environments including post-acquisition integration.
- Ideally the successful candidate will have experience working in entrepreneurial, founder-led environments.
- Experience with the judicious introduction of talent management and HR processes to help businesses scale and mature.
- A self-directed bias for action and ‘can do attitude’ contributing both as a strategic and operational partner.
- Experience and comfort working with a diverse, distributed workforce, including a US employee base, office as well as field staff.
- A strong business orientation and business enabler with a record of building and nurturing a values-based culture focused on innovation, continuous learning and development as well as diversity and inclusion.
- Skilled in organization design and demonstrated experience leading culture and organizational change initiatives.
Remuneration & Benefits
- Highly competitive compensation package structured to the needs of the successful candidate.
If interested, please contact: