THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
About the Company
In its October 2020 edition, Forbes Magazine reported, “While renewables are now the fastest growing energy industry, hydrogen is following closely behind in a massive gale. The 21st century will likely witness the rise of a mega-billion-dollar hydrogen fuel industry. Countries are taking steps – and it’s breathtaking”.
Canada is recognized internationally as a leader in hydrogen and fuel cell research, development and commercialization. The industry is broad and touches upon all elements across the supply chain. Canadian firms have developed a myriad of technologies to produce hydrogen cleanly and economically using fossil fuels, methanol, biomass, or from industrial by-product waste hydrogen capture.
Today however, with carbon reduction by 2050 a global imperative, all attention has turned to ‘green’ hydrogen. Green hydrogen refers to hydrogen produced via the electrolysis of water, with the electricity used in the process coming from renewable sources like wind and solar. Green hydrogen is now a priority low-emissions technology that could eventually help replace fossil fuels in transport, electricity and in industrial processes.
Our client produces innovative on-site green hydrogen generation solutions creating up to 1 tonne of hydrogen per day from water and renewable energy. The firm’s electrolysers let clients generate more clean hydrogen, faster, and at a significantly reduced cost. The company’s patented technologies have vast application across industrial processes, transportation and energy systems.
As the recent Forbes Magazine article concluded, “One thing is certain – hydrogen is no longer a niche fringe fuel. The element will play a critical role in the decarbonization of sectors where electrification is not possible, with fortunes to be built along the way……The green hydrogen revolution has already begun.”
Scope of Position
Our client is undertaking a search for an executive to lead the company through its next stage of commercialization and growth. The CEO joins a growing company with solid industry fundamentals, superb technologies, a growing customer base, a talented team and the opportunity for explosive growth.
Owning the strategy and driving its execution will be the responsibility of the Chief Executive Officer. Reporting to the Board of Directors, the CEO will lever the company’s positioning, momentum and growing markets to put into place the fundamentals necessary to significantly accelerate revenues and profits. It is expected that the successful candidate will bring a driving, hands-on, ‘lead from the front’ approach to that task while nurturing a collaborative culture of excellence.
This is an outstanding opportunity that features:
- Strong industry and company growth
- Large market opportunity
- Committed and well-funded financial backers
- Highly entrepreneurial culture
- An opportunity to make a real difference
- Work with the Board of Directors and members of the senior management team to refine the strategic and operating plans, priorities and options.
- Work with the Board of Directors and members of the senior management team to implement and execute the strategic plan. Activities shall include focusing the company’s market growth plans, build organizational capacity, expanding market penetration, enhancing competitive positioning, driving partnering development and overall strategic roadmap.
- Oversee the day-to-day operations of the company to ensure the timely implementation and execution of the business and financial plans.
- Architect the organization ensuring that it has in place the human resources, processes and operational capabilities by which to scale and the corporate culture to outperform.
- Drive the revenue build process with substantive rapid growth the goal. Refine and align the sales organization to those goals. Maintain, improve, create senior level relationships with existing and potential customers and strategic partners.
- Work on the firm’s manufacturing strategy considering the relative merits of an outsourcing versus in-house manufacturing strategy. Execute.
- Provide ongoing direction, performance management and developmental support to the team. Continue to build world-class capabilities. Focus the team to accelerate and drive the growth in revenues, new market development, sector leadership and profitability.
- Ensure operational milestones are met on time, with high quality and that they meet the cost objectives that are established; reporting on a monthly as well as a quarterly basis.
- Remain abreast of the industry, competitors and trends with a view to ensuring that all alliance, acquisition and investment opportunities are considered and the most attractive pursued.
- Lead the expansion of the company business and brand into new markets. Engage with strategic stakeholders in those markets.
- Report regularly and proactively to the board of directors on results and plans going forward.
- Champion the company’s interests by working closely with government regulators and key industry stakeholders.
The following competencies listed below define the role of CEO at Our Client
Focuses strongly on achieving agreed upon outcomes and ensures that key objectives are met. Conveys a sense of urgency and drives issues to closure. Aims to improve upon past performance. Establishes aggressive personal targets and strives to achieve them.
Develops a strategic plan to realize the vision. Revises strategy in light of changing circumstances. Takes a long-term view of organizational success. Works to clarify long term organizational goals. Able to stand back from immediate problems in order to focus on more far reaching ideas.
Applies appropriate commercial and financial principles. Understands situations in terms of costs, profits, added-value and return on investment. Appreciates the commercial impact of own work on the organization’s total expenses and revenues.
Strives to provide customers/clients with personalized and efficient service. Anticipates customers’/clients’ needs. Quickly follows up on customer/client contacts and complaints. Monitors and acts on measures of customer/client satisfaction.
Industry & Market Awareness
Seeks to anticipate and respond to industry and market changes/challenges by understanding key characteristics, issues and the factors driving them. Aware of competitor’s products, services and position.
Recognizes when change is necessary. Challenges the status quo and champions new initiatives. Acts as a catalyst to change and stimulates others to change. Develops an effective action plan to implement change and monitors results.
Preferred Experience / Education
The following indicates specific industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables.
- Experience in the hydrogen sector highly preferred
- Proven success leading and scaling early-stage renewable energy related businesses.
- Manufactured products/systems experience rather than services
- Proven business acumen including strategic planning, business development, and corporate finance.
- Track record of success
- Senior-level enterprise selling experience.
- An effective, visionary, strategic leader with a strong customer focus.
- Toronto-based or willing to consider relocating to Toronto
Remuneration & Benefits
Highly competitive compensation package structured to the needs of the successful candidate.
If interested, please contact:
StoneWood Group, Toronto
Bus: 416-365-9494 Ext. 777
StoneWood Group, Toronto
Bus: 416-365-9494 Ext. 555