THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
About the Company
Headquartered in Toronto and with operations throughout North America our client is a highly successful financial services company that is well positioned to continue its explosive growth and success.
Led by a highly dynamic, entrepreneurial and proven leadership team our client is publicly traded and has built a values driven organization that has exceeded its performance targets.
Scope of Position
Reporting to the SVP, Finance, the Director, Accounting will oversee all matters relating to financial accounting, including, compliance with IFRS and all accounting policy and governance. This successful candidate will be accustomed to dealing with complex accounting and reporting issues and be a strong internally facing influencer within the organization.
- Oversee all accounting functions ensuring the accurate and timely dissemination of financial information including, but not limited to, internal and external financial reporting, accounting and related policies and practices, under US GAAP and IFRS, as appropriate.
- Deliver financial advice and research for the impact of accounting and regulatory requirements as related to on-going and new business transactions, including complex accounting and business transactions
- Manage the external audit process and cultivate and maintain the positive relationship with external auditors
- Oversee all accounting and reporting for the Company’s subsidiaries and the Pension Plan
- Proactively monitor, research, and communicate developments in financial reporting relating to disclosure & financial policy under both US GAAP and IFRS and assess any impact to current results, business plans and strategies
- Review potential acquisitions (due diligence) and formulate integration plans for acquired assets / businesses
- Manage valuations processes (actuarial / goodwill) to ensure accuracy & achievement of business objectives
- Oversee, review and ensure that all tax related matters are accurately recorded
- Accountable for the Pay function – ensuring that all employees are paid accurately and on time
- Provide leadership, guidance and mentorship to a small finance team
The following competencies listed below define the role of Vice President, Accounting Finance:
Adopts an energetic approach. Works towards goals and willingly tackles demanding tasks. Demonstrates capacity for sustained effort and hard work over long periods of time, even in the face of adversity.
Demonstrates critical technical or professional knowledge/skills related to the role. Has thorough knowledge of relevant products, services and methods. Expands technical knowledge/skills and keeps up-to-date in own area of expertise.
Consults widely for business or technical advice, probes for facts and obtains information from a wide variety of sources. Differentiates the critical from the irrelevant or trivial.
Applies appropriate commercial and financial principles. Understands situations in terms of costs, profits, added-value and return on investment. Appreciates the commercial impact of own work on the organization’s total expenses and revenues.
Focuses strongly on achieving agreed upon outcomes and ensures that key objectives are met. Conveys a sense of urgency and drives issues to closure. Aims to improve upon past performance. Establishes aggressive personal targets and strives to achieve them.
Makes an immediate positive impression upon others. Has presence and commands respect. Comes across with force and quickly establishes credibility. Accurately predicts the effects of own words and actions. Makes an immediate positive impression upon others.
Preferred Experience / Education
The following indicates specific industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables.
- Bachelor Degree in Finance, Commerce or Administration with CA or equivalent designation;
- 10- 15 years of progressive, hands-on experience in financial management with increasing responsibilities
- Experience with international accounting, taxes, contracts
- Financial services industry experience is highly desired
- Experience working in highly entrepreneurial, fast-paced and demanding environments; experience working in a publicly traded company
- An analytical, detail oriented, team player that adapts well to change
- Ability to work independently and multi-task under pressure
- Presents quick decision-making skills
- Deep understanding of complex financial instruments such as derivatives, swaps, and hedges
- Exhibits high standards of business and personal ethical conduct
Remuneration & Benefits
- A generous compensation package commensurate with experience will be discussed with serious and qualified candidates.