THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
About the Company
Our client, an impact investment firm, enables clients to participate in and profit from the transition to a low carbon economy. The company’s online investment platform allows clients to invest in green bonds and funds supported by renewable energy and energy efficiency projects. In turn, the firm offers streamlined access to project finance to enable engineering companies and project developers to build more green infrastructure across North America.
To date, our client has placed over $25 million in loans for clean energy projects. It has a robust pipeline of opportunities and now seeks an experienced finance executive to help contribute to its significant growth.
Scope of Position
Reporting directly to the Management Committee, the Chief Investment Officer (CIO) will oversee all aspects of the company’s clean energy financing activities, which includes strategy development, investment analysis for debt and equity opportunities, Investment Committee approvals, and asset management.
This broad mandate provides an opportunity to be a high impact senior executive of a growing start up with a strong track record and institutional backing.
- Oversee debt and equity financing of clean energy projects from screening through final investment committee approvals.
- Make recommendations to the Investment Committee in line with the company’s investment criteria and considering fiduciary duty of investors.
- Oversee and manage portfolio risk and credit risk during the transaction and during asset management.
- Work closely with the Investment Committee and Senior Management to set investment strategies that meet market needs and to develop effective and efficient investment processes.
- Structure new products for the clean energy market, working with senior management to ensure compatibility with the company’s offerings to investors.
- Ensure that investment and portfolio performance is routinely assessed.
Key Performance Deliverables
- Specific additional measures of performance will be discussed with the successful candidate.
The following competencies listed below define the role of Chief Investment Officer:
Demonstrates critical technical or professional knowledge/skills related to the role, especially around understanding and mitigating risk. Has thorough knowledge of relevant products, services and methods. Expands technical knowledge/skills and keeps up-to-date in own area of expertise.
Incorporates information about the organization’s structure and protocol into decisions. Attentive to the internal politics and alert to shifting interpersonal dynamics. Establishes the necessary support networks and cross-functional relationships through rapport building. Recognizes, maintains and effectively balances the interests and needs of one’s own group with those of the broader organization.
Helps to create a sense of team spirit and harmonious relations through cooperation and support. Balances personal goals with those of the team. Fosters collaboration among team members.
Industry & Market Awareness
Seeks to anticipate and respond to industry and market changes/challenges by understanding key characteristics, issues and the factors driving them. Aware of competitor’s products, services and position.
Applies appropriate commercial and financial principles. Understands situations in terms of costs, profits, added-value and return on investment. Appreciates the commercial impact of own work on the organization’s total expenses and revenues.
Consults widely for business or technical advice, probes for facts, and obtains information from a wide variety of sources. Differentiates the critical from the irrelevant or trivial.
Develops a strategic plan to realize the vision. Revises strategy in light of changing circumstances. Takes a long-term view of organizational success. Works to clarify long term organizational goals. Able to stand back from immediate problems to focus on more far reaching ideas.
Preferred Experience / Education
The following indicates specific industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables.
- Approximately 10 years direct, relevant work experience in infrastructure/renewable energy project financing.
- Experience in managing credit and portfolio risks.
- Experience in corporate lending, asset financing, and/or lease financing is a plus.
- Proven track-record of working in highly dynamic, entrepreneurial, fast-paced, and innovative environments.
- Possess a university degree in business or finance with preference given to individuals with an MBA.
- Preference will be given to individuals with superior communication skills, a bias for action, and a demonstrated ability to overcome obstacles.
Remuneration & Benefits
- Competitive base pay, including a stock ownership plan and comprehensive benefits.