About the Company
Our client is a leading North American provider of diversified environmental solutions offering services in solid and liquid waste management and infrastructure and soil remediation through its facilities across North America.
Dual listed, our client continues to strategically expand its operations through an ambitious M&A strategy.
Scope of Position
Reporting to the CFO, the Vice President, Tax will provide leadership, vision, and direction to a team of highly motivated and capable tax professionals. With oversight for all tax matters across the organization the successful candidate will translate business objectives into effective tax strategies to optimize corporate tax planning, reporting and compliance as well as providing support on all deal structuring.
Working closely with the senior executive team, the position provides an excellent career opportunity for a leadership role in a dynamic industry leading company.
- Provide hands-on leadership, guidance, mentorship and performance management to the tax team.
- Oversee, refine and develop tax planning strategies to ensure effective use of capital in line with the company’s business strategy, plans and direction.
- Develop and implement strategies to mitigate tax liability, optimize cash flow, earnings and shareholder value for the company and it’s affiliates.
- Develop, implement and maintain effective tax and cash management practices to ensure appropriate cash repatriation and redeployment strategies.
- Provide counsel and guidance on strategic initiatives including all acquisitions, divestitures, restructuring, joint ventures and other transactions.
- Manage relationship with relevant internal and external stakeholders to ensure legal structure is appropriate to optimize cash flow requirements.
- Oversee the accurate and timely preparation of the consolidated tax provision and financial reporting process.
- Oversee all Canadian and US provincial/state and local and indirect tax filing and compliance activities.
- Provide advice and support on tax matters to relevant stakeholders to ensure overall compliance with tax regulators.
- Analyse risks and sustainability of various tax positions.
- Monitor and evaluate changes to tax laws and compliance activities and communicate impact.
- Manage relationships with tax authorities and tax advisors.
The following competencies listed below define the role of Vice President Taxation:
Strategic Approach – Develops a strategic plan to realize the vision. Revises strategy in light of changing circumstances. Takes a long-term view of organizational success. Works to clarify long term organizational goals. Able to stand back from immediate problems in order to focus on more far reaching ideas.
Role Expertise – Demonstrates critical technical or professional knowledge/skills related to the role. Has thorough knowledge of relevant services and methods. Expands technical knowledge/skills and keeps up-to-date in own area of expertise.
Commercial Acumen – Applies appropriate commercial and financial principles. Understands situations in terms of costs, profits, added-value and return on investment. Appreciates the commercial impact of own work on the organization’s total expenses and revenues.
Results Orientation – Focuses strongly on achieving agreed upon outcomes and ensures that key objectives are met. Conveys a sense of urgency and drives issues to closure. Aims to improve upon past performance. Establishes aggressive personal targets and strives to achieve them.
Integrity & Sincerity – Inspires trust and supports others through own authenticity and following up on commitments. Maintains high ethical standards both personally and professionally. Shows consistency among principles.
Information Seeking – Consults widely for business or technical advice, probes for facts and obtains information from a wide variety of sources. Differentiates the critical from the irrelevant or trivial.
Team Skills – Helps to create a sense of team spirit and harmonious relations through cooperation and support. Balances personal goals with those of the team. Fosters collaboration among team members.
Preferred Experience / Education
- Bachelor Degree in Finance, Commerce or Administration with CPA or equivalent designation.
- A minimum of 15 years of progressive, hands-on experience in across a range of Canadian and US corporate tax matters.
- Ability to communicate and convey tax strategies in layman terms to non-tax stakeholders.
- Thorough understanding of IFRS and its implications on tax accounting of a growth oriented North American, dual-listed corporation.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, dynamic organization cutting through complex tax matters to provide accurate and timely input.
- Outstanding technical, inter-personal and managerial skills.
- Exhibits high standards of business and personal ethical conduct.
Remuneration & Benefits
- Highly competitive compensation package which will include equity incentive tailored to the successful candidate.
If interested, please contact: