About the Company
Our client is a leading North American provider of diversified environmental solutions offering services in solid and liquid waste management and infrastructure and soil remediation through its facilities across North America.
Dual listed, our client continues to strategically expand its operations through an ambitious M&A strategy.
Scope of the Position
Reporting to the CFO, the Chief Accounting Officer will have oversight for all corporate accounting and financial reporting. Providing leadership to a multi-disciplined and geographically distributed team, the individual will have ownership over accounting policy and governance, drive field operations finance, roll-up and consolidations and will work closely with the CFO on financial planning, treasury, tax, risk management and insurance.
The Chief Accounting Officer will ensure that the senior leadership team has access to timely and accurate information while ensuring adequacy of internal accounting systems and controls. He/she will be charged with ensuring that there exists an appropriate level of discipline and process, specifically as it relates to systems working with internal staff and external consultants and auditors. This individual will be accustomed to dealing with complex reporting issues and require working in tight collaboration with the CFO as well as other members of the senior leadership team.
- Develop financial planning and reporting strategies and overall development of the department commensurate with the company’s growth and evolving complexity.
- Execute on strategic reporting initiatives as needed including end to end production of financial reports, ensuring that all reporting activities are completed in a systematic and timely fashion, meeting pre-defined internal and external deadlines.
- Be the lead interface with external auditors for purposes of planning and executing all annual audits and reporting.
- Support regulatory and audit requests, including process walkthroughs, data collection, report explanations and detailed analysis.
- Provide leadership in ensuring financial and operational controls are rigorously developed, applied and documented. Drive improvements to existing processes and controls and fostering an organizational mindset of continuous improvement.
- Ensure work papers, procedures and other relevant materials supporting report production are well documented and complete (e.g. analysis, reconciliation results, approach changes review and sign off).
- Continually review and assess reporting exposures and recommend/develop reporting management strategies including the development of financial reporting management policies and guidelines; monitoring and reporting of financial risk exposures; managing appropriate risk mitigation.
- Oversee and provide direction on all policies and complex accounting matters.
- Develop / enhance policies & procedures, analytics, monitoring, and reporting capabilities.
- Ensure internal and external stakeholders receive relevant, timely, and accurate financial information and all compliance requirements are met on a timely basis.
- Provide interpretation and insight on the business’ operating results and recommend improvements as appropriate.
- Provide leadership and participate in the strategic planning, growth and development of the company.
The following competencies listed below define the role of Chief Accounting Officer.
Demonstrates critical technical or professional knowledge/skills related to the role. Has thorough knowledge of relevant products, services and methods. Expands technical knowledge/skills and keeps up-to-date in own area of expertise.
Planning & Objective Setting
Systematic in approach to work. Produces action plans in which objectives are defined and steps for achieving them are clearly specified. Plans by breaking down large task into subtasks. Develops plans that anticipate obstacles. Is realistic about time-scales and builds in appropriate checkpoints, milestones and controls in order to ensure that desired results are realized.
Applies appropriate commercial and financial principles. Understands situations in terms of costs, profits, added-value and return on investment. Appreciates the commercial impact of own work on the organization’s total expenses and revenues.
Establishes and communicates clear priorities and sense of direction. Clarifies roles and responsibilities. Adapts management style to achieve optimum results.
Developing & Coaching Others
Accurately assesses strengths and development needs of employees. Challenges others to improve their abilities and actively supports their development. Continually provides timely and constructive feedback, coaching and challenging learning opportunities. Adjusts coaching style based on each employee’s ability and motivation level.
Quickly adapts to new situations and approaches. Open to change and readily adopts new methods in the face of shifting priorities and ambiguity. Can alter own perspective and behaviour in order to adjust to changing demands and plans.
Helps to create a sense of team spirit and harmonious relations through cooperation and support. Balances personal goals with those of the team. Fosters collaboration among team members.
Preferred Experience and Education
The following indicates specific industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables.
- Minimum 15 years of experience in the finance department of a fast-paced, large multi-entity corporation, with at least 8-10 years of leadership experience.
- Post-secondary degree or relevant combination of education and experience. CPA designation is a must and MBA is a plus.
- Thorough knowledge of US GAAP and IFRS concepts and practices.
- Ability to use technical skills and sound judgment to make regular financial, personnel and policy judgments.
- A team player that adapts well to change, brings a proactive ‘own it, solve it’ mindset with an ability to navigate complex financial scenarios.
- An individual who leads by example from the front and is focused on achieving ambitious and unrealistic goals.
- Ability to achieve broadly communicated objectives in a timely manner with a minimal amount of supervision.
- Proven ability to make data-driven recommendations.
- Excellent verbal and written communication, presentation and inter-personal skills.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills combined with solid business acumen; ability to think strategically about business issues.
- Experience/comfort working in a fast-paced, M&A, growth- oriented organization.
- A focus on continuous improvement and the ability to identify and recommend solutions to current processes.
Remuneration & Benefits
- An attractive compensation package based upon background and experience. Package includes base salary, annual bonus and participation in the company’s long-term incentive program.
If interested, please contact:
StoneWood Group, Toronto firstname.lastname@example.org