THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
About the Company
Our client, a privately-owned Canadian company, is an integrated, multi-trade prime contractor serving government, institutions, industry, and commerce primarily across Canada and the United States. The company’s services range from multi-million dollar construction projects to extensive facility management and operations contracts, to planned maintenance agreements and emergency services.
With a top line of about $1.5B and approximately 5500 employees, our client is a leader in its industry with vast growth opportunities ahead.
Scope of Position
Our client now seeks to bring on a senior accounting leader in the role of Corporate Controller who will contribute to the growth and profitability of the business while maintaining and adhering to a solid internal control environment.
Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer, the Corporate Controller will be responsible for overseeing the day-to-day controllership function and reporting on those matters to the Company’s Senior Management Team and National Advisory Board in a timely and accurate fashion. In addition, the candidate will have responsibility for the tax compliance and tax planning activities, corporate insurance program administration and periodic bank and surety compliance reporting. The Corporate Controller will also undertake projects to help streamline and enhance the financial reporting function and assist with supporting the M&A due diligence and acquisition integration initiatives. This individual will be accustomed to dealing with a range of financial reporting, tax and operating issues and be a strong technical resource for various internal and external stakeholders.
- Work with regional finance controllers and business leaders to prepare periodic financial and management reports, including relevant KPIs and metrics, and ensure that the processes are in place to provide timely and accurate information;
- Oversee periodic tax compliance reporting, particularly related to the preparation and submission of corporate tax returns and assist in tax and estate planning as required;
- Manage the Company’s compliance reporting to banks, surety providers, insurance brokers and other external parties;
- Support the Company’s growth plans particularly related to assisting with due diligence on potential acquisition and acquisition integrations;
- Undertake efficiency and effectiveness projects, particularly related to the financial reporting function and processes;
- Review the ongoing financial system requirements for the organization ensuring upgrades are implemented as needed;
- Interpret the business’ operating results and recommend improvements as appropriate;
- Lead the development, implementation, maintenance, and enhancements of internal financial accounting policies, procedures, processes, and systems;
- Oversee accounting and tax functions, ensuring the accurate and timely dissemination of financial information on a monthly, quarterly and annual basis and more specifically as follows:
- Prepare, in conjunction with the financial planning and analysis lead, monthly internal management reporting (financial/operations results, KPIs);
- Review monthly submissions from regions and checklists for completeness and accuracy, following up on errors or incomplete information;
- Payroll and benefits administration for Corporate office employees;
- Pension plan funding, reconciliation, and monthly statements;
- Monthly activities as per the above;
- Accounts receivable ageing report and provision analysis; calculates DSO and related analytics;
- Advisory board book preparation, including key schedules, slides for presentation, and supporting schedules and analysis;
- Statistics Canada reporting, quarterly bonding report;
- Supports quarterly bank and bonding compliance process;
- Annual consolidated financial statements for external purposes;
- Insurance and bonding renewal applications;
- Support for any credit renewals;
- Review and verification of regional net assets employed calculation for incentive purposes;
- Annual Pension Plan, statements, audit, annual filings (GST/HST) FSCO
Tax Compliance and Planning
- Preparation and filing of income tax returns;
- Assistance in tax planning, including real estate planning;
- Coordinating responses to tax audits by the CRA and/or provincial tax authorities;
- Maintaining accounting policies and procedures, in conjunction with the Director of Financial Controls and Risk Management, and ensures training and support for Controllers;
- Leads and/or coordinates projects impacting financial reporting;
- Meets with external bankers to manage treasury and cash management activities;
- Other projects as directed;
The following competencies listed below define the role of Corporate Controller:
Adopts an energetic approach. Works towards goals and willingly tackles demanding tasks. Demonstrates capacity for sustained effort and hard work over long periods of time, even in the face of adversity.
Demonstrates critical technical or professional knowledge/skills related to the role. Has thorough knowledge of relevant products, services and methods. Expands technical knowledge/skills and keeps up-to-date in own area of expertise.
Consults widely for business and technical advice, probes for facts and obtains information from a wide variety of sources. Differentiates the critical from the irrelevant or trivial.
Draws parallels across situations and contexts. Divides problems into their individual elements. Develops several explanations or alternatives. Separates the core of a problem from its symptoms and can identify cause and effect.
Applies appropriate commercial and financial principles. Understands situations in terms of costs, profits, added-value and return on investment. Appreciates the commercial impact of own work on the organization’s total expenses and revenues.
Focuses strongly on achieving agreed upon outcomes and ensures that key objectives are met. Conveys a sense of urgency and drives issues to closure. Aims to improve upon past performance. Establishes aggressive personal targets and strives to achieve them.
Preferred Experience / Education
The following describes industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables.
- Bachelor Degree in Finance, Commerce or Administration with CPA, CA/CMA or equivalent designation.
- A minimum of 10-20 years of progressive, hands-on experience in financial management with increasing responsibilities.
- Experience with ASPE/IFRS and familiarity with US GAAP, CRA guidelines.
- Proficiency and aptitude to working with ERP systems and ability to dissect data to discern trends and issues.
- Strong capability with MS Office, particularly with Excel and PowerPoint at the intermediate/advanced level.
- Experience working in construction, infrastructure, facilities management or related industries, while not a requirement, is highly desired.
- An analytical, detail oriented, team player that adapts well to change and brings a proactive, “own it, solve it” mindset.
- This role will appeal to a highly collaborative individual with a proven ability to manage multiple tasks and prioritize effectively while being responsive to senior leadership.
Remuneration & Benefits
- A competitive base, variable and equity compensation package to the successful candidate.
If interested, please contact
StoneWood Group, Toronto
Bus: 416-365-9494 Ext. 233
StoneWood Group, Toronto
Bus: 416-365-9494 Ext. 229