Client operates as a not-for-profit corporation and has been working with the public and private sector including industry, academia, non-governmental organizations (NGOs), the financial community and all levels of government to achieve this mandate.
Client operates funds aimed at the development and demonstration of innovative technological solutions such as address climate change, air quality, clean water, and clean soil, and also supports the establishment of first-of-kind large demonstration-scale facilities for the production of next-generation renewable fuels.
Reporting to the Director, Screening and Evaluation, the Manager, Screening and Evaluation is responsible for assessing the validity, feasibility and performance criteria for all applications to the Sustainable Development Technology fund. Analytical and highly attuned to market realities, the Manager, Screening and Evaluation will work closely with applicants and key stakeholders to clearly define market opportunities and refine potential technologies to promote success. This position is also involved in helping applicants identify gaps and build capacity throughout the due diligence process.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Work with the existing Screening and Evaluation Managers in evaluating the technical and business merits of potential projects
- Review and provide feedback for contracted projects on milestone achievements and impacts, project plans, schedules, resources and costs and summarize technical results/outcomes to the management team
- Evaluate technology performance and options and thereby integrate selection criteria with technology performance assessments
- Recognize the project’s key success indicators and ensure the project requirements and objectives are correctly gathered, understood and properly translated into the appropriate outcomes
- Work with applicants, external experts and key stakeholders on primary technical and market issues
- Manage all due diligence activities for the assigned applicants that are selected to present a detailed proposal
- Confirm and disseminate all applicable professional, technological, regulatory standards and industry guidelines applicable to the work
- Prepare evaluation results/outcomes for input to management, review committee, and Board to meet reporting requirements
- Prepare and present results and plans to key stakeholders
- Provide technical advice and guidance to the managers of Contracts and Projects to support the ongoing success of the approved projects
- Liaise with the project’s sponsors, external experts and key stakeholders on key issues
- Act as a consultant and advisor as required involving technical support from the necessary resources. In particular, assist applicants with environmental impact estimates i.e. Greenhouse Gas emissions reductions and/or reduction of contaminants in air, soil and water
There will be a varying number of complex, multi-disciplinary projects in the portfolio. This position liaises and provides support to all functions of the Client’s team including managers of Screening & Evaluation, Applications, Contracts, Projects and senior management on technical and business issues relating to new applicants and existing portfolio companies.
Travel will be expected to visit with new applicants and existing portfolio companies and project sites. It will vary and is estimated at approximately 25%.
Skills and Knowledge Required
Education and Experience
- Degree in Sciences, Engineering or equivalent experience in the Environmental sector. An MBA or equivalent business experience is highly valued
- 7-12 progressive years in technology evaluation and business due diligence
- Experience in one or more of the following areas is highly desired: unconventional gas, thermal extraction, heavy oil conversion, petrochemical products, water treatment and processing, waste management, unconventional oil production including enhanced oil recovery (EOR), energy efficiency technologies, and tailings treatment and remediation solutions
- Knowledge of Sustainable Development, and environmental issues.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Detail oriented.
- Proven ability to extract and synthesize key messages from large content of information into investment briefings.
- Team motivation.
- Self-discipline and goal orientation.
- Proven ability to function under time pressures with multiple priorities.
- Bilingualism preferred.