THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
About the Company
Our client is THE place for everything RV. Founded in 1969, with headquarters in BC, the business has grown to become Canada’s largest national supplier of recreational vehicles (RVs) with locations in Vancouver, Abbotsford, Kamloops, Prince George, Whitehorse, Lacombe County, Edmonton, Calgary, Toronto and Halifax.
Our client provides an unparalleled selection of Tent Trailers, Travel Trailers, Fifth Wheels, Toy Haulers, Class ‘C’ motorhomes and Class ‘A’ motor coaches. From sales to rentals, parts, service, and specialized manufacturing, our client’s diversified and integrated portfolio of capabilities addresses any and all Canadian RV customer needs. Our client is a proudly family-owned company whose values define and permeate every aspect of the business.
Scope of Position
Our client continues to grow, having more than doubled in size in the past five years alone. To support such growth, the firm has invested in a myriad of enterprise applications, IT infrastructure, web and social media technologies. Ensuring that information technology effectively supports and fuels our client’s continued growth will be the responsibility of the Chief Information Officer (CIO).
Reporting directly to the CEO, the CIO will provide the technology and information management vision and leadership while directing the planning, development, implementation, maintenance and support of information systems and related technology-based product offerings in support of the business. This will include core back and front-office functions such as dealer management systems, reservation systems, fleet management systems, marketing (internet and social media) network support, and related services to accomplish corporate goals and objectives.
The CIO will lead the company’s efforts in planning and implementing enterprise information systems to support both head office and distributed business operations with the objective of achieving effective and cost beneficial enterprise-wide IT operations. He/she will serve as a member of the senior management team and be involved in the overall planning and management of the organizational mission, goals and priorities.
The CIO will provide leadership to a team lead by four managers. Embodying the values and ethos of the company, the CIO will work directly with, mentor, and support the IT team to enable them to thrive as a vital function in the overall business.
Key responsibilities of the role:
- Develop/refine in conjunction with the executive team the company IT vision in support of the company’s business objectives.
- Work closely with the IT team, providing clarity of responsibility, training, feedback and support to aid in their success.
- Ensure that the company’s values define the manner by which the IT function exercises its responsibilities.
- Align the strategic and tactical planning, development, evaluation, and coordination of information management and technology systems to the IT vision.
- Oversee the back office computer operations along with the management of multiple IT and communications systems and projects, including voice, data, infrastructure and applications.
- Develop processes that will regularly evaluate existing technology, information systems, and staffing, research new solutions and technologies and recommend changes.
- Develop and implement policy and procedures to ensure the protection of our client’s IT assets and the integrity, security and privacy of corporate information.
- Develop and monitor the annual operating and capital budgets for IT and supporting infrastructure (maintenance, helpdesk, hardware replacement, software upgrades, etc.).
- Approve, coordinate and manage all projects related to selection, acquisition, development and installation of major information systems including collaborating with user groups to advise on evaluation, selection, implementation and maintenance of information systems.
- Evaluate project management practices from budgeting through to execution and recommend/take steps for improvement.
- Ensure appropriate investment (with appropriate metrics, supported by ROI) in strategic and operational systems for overall corporate and operating group effectiveness. Evaluate installed systems to measure their appropriateness.
- Serve as the primary contact to software, hardware and network-related vendors, consultants, and partners and maintains knowledge of current technology, equipment, prices and terms of agreements to minimize the investment required to meet established service levels. Evaluate alternatives, perform appropriate cost benefit analysis, and recommend solutions that maximize effectiveness and minimize costs commensurate with acceptable risks.
- Oversee the development, maintenance, and communication of systems documentation, policies, and procedures. Drive improvements.
- Communicates IS/IT plans, policies and technology trends throughout the organization, including management groups and professional staff.
- Select, train, supervise, evaluate and develop all roles related to the provision of IT services within our client’s operations.
- Special projects as required.
Key Performance Deliverables.
In light of the identified responsibilities, the following are among the deliverables that the position is designed to achieve.
- Specific measures of performance/KPIs will be discussed and agreed upon with the successful candidate.
The following competencies distinguish the effective CIO at our client:
Planning and Objective Setting
Systematic in approach to work; Produces action plans in which objectives are defined and steps for achieving them are clearly specified; Plans for breaking down large tasks into subtasks; Develops plans that anticipate obstacles; Is realistic about time-scales and builds in appropriate checkpoints, milestones and controls in order to ensure that desired results are realized.
Encourages others by creating enthusiasm, a feeling of investment and a desire to excel; Inspires a healthy attitude to work by recognizing positive contributions.
Adopts an energetic approach; Works towards goals and willingly tackles demanding tasks; Demonstrates capacity for sustained effort and hard work over long periods of time, even in the face of adversity.
Generates new ideas; Challenges existing assumptions; Goes beyond the status quo; Recognizes the need for new or modified approaches; Brings various perspectives and approaches together, combining them in a creative fashion to implement effective improvements.
Applies appropriate commercial and financial principles. Understands situations in terms of costs, profits, added-value and return on investment. Appreciates the commercial impact of own work on the organization’s total expenses and revenues.
Quickly adapts to new situations and approaches; Open to change and readily adopts new methods in the face of shifting priorities and ambiguity; Can alter own perspective and behaviour in order to adjust to changing demands and plans.
Integrity & Sincerity
Inspires trust and supports others through own authenticity and following up on commitments. Maintains high ethical standards both personally and professionally. Shows consistency among principles.
Helps to create a sense of team spirit and harmonious relations through cooperation and support; Balances personal goals with those of the team; Fosters collaboration among team members.
Preferred Experience / Education
The following indicates specific industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables.
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in IT leadership
- Uncompromising values-driven orientation
- Proven experience in leveraging IT to enhance growth, efficiency, customer service and cost savings
- Experience working in privately owned, entrepreneurial businesses
- Track record in successful change management
- A positive and participative team style
- Willingness to travel occasionally, as required
- Track record defined in part by an ability to consistently execute on agreed upon objectives.
- A highly intelligent, strategically minded executive with superb communication and interpersonal skills and a willingness to roll-up his/her sleeves.
Remuneration & Benefits
- Highly competitive compensation package tailored to the successful candidate.