About the Company
A service-driven paper and packaging products company, Atlantic Packaging has grown to become one of Canada’s largest paper manufacturers and a leading producer of packaging products and newsprint. Employing more than 2,000 people across the GTA, Atlantic Packaging now seeks a General Manager to oversee its Paper Bag division.
Scope of Position
The General Manager, Paper Bag Division is responsible for ensuring that plant operations meet production and sales demands in a cost-optimized, safe and environmentally responsible manner. Reporting to the Senior Vice President, the General Manager (GM) oversees all sales, business development and operations by clearly defining goals and objectives that promote and maintain an atmosphere of continuous improvement in all areas of operation. The GM is responsible for ensuring that the plant consistently produces high quality products and services that result in high customer satisfaction, and for growing the Paper Bag business.
- Lead the sales team and business development, creating sustainable growth in the division’s operations.
- Define direction of plant activities and manage daily production operations while ensuring alignment with and among the team.
- Drive continuous improvement by seeking out opportunities to improve existing manufacturing processes, increase efficiencies and reduce costs.
- Create and maintains effective analysis and reporting tools to communicate plant performance to all internal and external stakeholders.
- Take a data driven approach to plant management, deriving insights from data to direct the focus and resources of the operations team and associated partners.
- Regularly report out to and engage with senior management, sales teams and customers.
- Act as a technical expert on all equipment within the plant, and propose and participate in new equipment and upgrade projects.
- Provide input related to new and existing safety initiatives to increase plant safety standards.
- Understand critical factors related to plant operations (e.g., capital projects, hiring, performance, environmental, safety, budgeting) to make or actively support sound decisions that impact the local site.
- Strong communication skills and ability to build relationships with diverse internal and external stakeholders.
- Equip plant personnel with appropriate tools and processes to enable successful plant operations.
- Apply a strong understanding of people and performance management processes to set expectations and conduct regular performance reviews with all direct reports.
- Leverage strong understanding of labor relations and unions to effectively deal with relevant issues (e.g., collective agreements, grievances).
Customer Focus – Personally demonstrates that external and internal customers are a high priority. Identifies customer needs and expectations and responds to them in a timely and effective manner. Anticipates and prevents delays or other things that can adversely affect the customer. Keeps customers informed about the status of pending actions and audits customer satisfaction with products or services.
Decision Quality – Gathers enough information to allow a pragmatic assessment of risks and benefits of alternative approaches in any decision. Stays focused on objectives and considers both the short-term and longer-term impact of decisions and keeps objectives in mind throughout the process. Communicates the impact and implications of decisions. Completes the appropriate level of due diligence required to make a quick, accurate decision.
Drive For Results – Achieves results within established timelines. Understands and demonstrates that intentions, activities and results are not the same. Pursues everything with energy, drive, and a need to finish; does not give up before finishing, even in the face of resistance or setbacks; consistently challenges self and others for results.
Leadership – The expectation of leadership is not reserved solely for only those who are in positions of authority, but from all employees. They demonstrate high integrity and are motivated by wanting to make a real difference to people by delivering a high quality service for their customer and the organization. In positions of authority they: invest in development for the right people and identify and develop future leaders, and coach and provide candid feedback to others. They are visible and they model behaviors, competencies and values expected and inspire others to undertake challenging tasks and projects.
Teamwork – Is an effective team player who adds complementary skills and contributes valuable ideas, opinions and feedback. Communicates in an open and candid manner and can be counted upon to fulfill any commitments made to others on the team. Ensures the right stakeholders are informed and involved where necessary. Is ready to “roll up their sleeves” as necessary.
Think and Act like an owner – Thinks and cares about the organization like an owner. Commits to and upholds organizational values, and core behaviors even under difficult circumstances. Demonstrates a strong sense of responsibility and dedication to the success of the organization. Takes appropriate risks, holds self and others accountable for measurable, high-quality, timely, and cost-effective results and openly raises a challenge even if others don’t.
Preferred Experience / Education
The following describes industry and functional experience/qualifications important to success in the role.
- Minimum 7 years’ experience in a packaging plant manufacturing production environment
- Demonstrated experience in business development, sales and customer service
- Manufacturing knowledge with high-speed packaging systems
- Engineering related university degree (e.g., Mechanical, Process) is an asset
- Competent in MS Office (especially MS Excel) and other business intelligence tools
- Experience in leading operations-focused teams (e.g., performance management, conflict management, etc.,)
- Knowledge of best practices in operations management – asset effectiveness, reduction in cycle times, flexibility of the workforce, training, and recruitment etc.
Key Success Factors
- Ability to grow and develop business for the division
- Positive safety performance without safety incidents
- Maximized production volume adhering to quality standards at the lowest possible cost
- Well trained operations crew that are motivated to achieve safety, quality, and environmental targets
- Strong employee development and engagement, creating accountability across the team to achieve objectives
- Positioning the business to be at the forefront of technology and efficiency to provide our customers with the highest possible value
Remuneration & Benefits
- A market competitive compensation package reflecting the successful candidate’s experience.
If interested, please contact:
Bus: 416-365-9494 Ext. 555
Bus: 416-365-9494 Ext. 233