THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
ABOUT THE COMPANY
Our client provides electronics recycling solutions for OEMs, provincial and municipal governments, large enterprises and consumers.
Our client owns and operates six electronics waste processing facilities in five provinces and is proud to be wholly Canadian owned and operated.
The company operates some of the most advanced and secure electronics recycling facilities across Canada, and provides the most environmentally friendly, secure and transparent recycling solutions for end-of-life-electronics in the industry. Our client is audited and approved under Electronics Product Stewardship Canada’s Recycler Vendor Qualification Program (RVQP) which is the industry standard in the provinces of Ontario, Nova Scotia, Alberta, Saskatchewan and British Columbia.
The electronics recycling sector is among the fastest growing sectors in Canada. Beyond serving as critical end-of-life solutions providers the industry is evolving to also offer a wide range of reverse logistics, refurbishment, data cleansing and re-use services ensuring the most environmentally friendly lifecycle solutions available. Our client is at the forefront of many of those market developments.
SCOPE OF POSITION
Reporting to the CEO, the Vice-President Business Development will assume responsibility for driving both revenue generation and business expansion to existing and emerging markets. Working as a member of the senior executive team this will involve contributing to the overall sales and marketing strategy while driving top line revenue growth through a small yet highly dynamic sales team.
• Support the CEO in refining the roadmap for the business. This will include an assessment of the company’s existing market opportunities, competitive positioning and growth opportunities going forward.
• Leading by example, drive and support the business development organization related to processing and value-added services in attaining revenue and margin goals by market and geography
• Develop the marketing strategy and plan relating to geographic markets to enter as well as product and services mix offerings in each of those markets.
• Work closely with the lead generation and marketing organizations to ensure that their efforts are effective and aligned to the sales organization’s needs.
• Participate as an active member of the management team, fostering an environment of high performance and co-operation.
• Work directly with lead customers in emerging markets providing feedback to CEO on the viability of said markets and make recommendations on investments required to effectively pursue.
• Provide constant feedback to the CEO on the status of all pipeline, sales and business development activities.
• Provide feedback to engineering on market requirements and trends to ensure that technology roadmap aligns with market requirements
• Spearhead and nurture existing and new senior level relationships with channel partners. Recommend means by which to enhance the channel’s overall effectiveness.
KEY PERFORMANCE DELIVERABLES
In light of the identified responsibilities, the following are specific deliverables that the position is designed to achieve.
• Revenue and margin to budget – monthly and annual
• Quality and robustness of market plans
• Quality and performance of business development team members.
• Year-over-year growth – quarterly
• “Platform extensions” – for example increase in non-stewardship/recycling processing/Canadian volumes from 5% to X5 – annual targets
The following competencies listed below define the role of Vice-President, Business Development
Focuses strongly on achieving agreed upon outcomes and ensures that key objectives are met. Conveys a sense of urgency and drives issues to closure. Aims to improve upon past performance. Establishes aggressive personal targets and strives to achieve them.
Planning & Objective Setting
Systematic in approach to work. Produces action plans in which objectives are defined and steps for achieving them are clearly specified. Plans by breaking down large task into subtasks. Develops plans that anticipate obstacles. Is realistic about time-scales and builds in appropriate checkpoints, milestones and controls in order to ensure that desired results are realized.
Consults widely for business or technical advice, probes for facts and obtains information from a wide variety of sources. Differentiates the critical from the irrelevant or trivial.
Industry & Market Awareness
Seeks to anticipate and respond to industry and market changes/challenges by understanding key characteristics, issues and the factors driving them. Aware of competitor’s products, services and position.
Demonstrates critical technical or professional knowledge/skills related to the role. Has thorough knowledge of relevant products, services and methods. Expands technical knowledge/skills and keeps up-to-date in own area of expertise.
Applies appropriate commercial and financial principles. Understands situations in terms of costs, profits, added-value and return on investment. Appreciates the commercial impact of own work on the organization’s total expenses and revenues.
Articulates the key points of an argument persuasively. Negotiates skilfully and convinces others to own point of view. Directly and indirectly impacts the decisions/opinions of others. Mobilizes people into action.
Helps to create a sense of team spirit and harmonious relations through cooperation and support. Balances personal goals with those of the team. Fosters collaboration among team members.
PREFERRED EXPERIENCE / EDUCATION
The following indicates specific industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables.
• Direct knowledge/relationships with specific OEMs.
• Direct experience working in/selling to the electronics sector.
• Proven track record selling large, global accounts.
• Marketing function experience including planning and strategy development
• Services (versus physical products) sales experience
• Sales team management/leadership experience
• US and some international market experience
• Business degree (MBA with technical undergrad ideal)
REMUNERATION & BENEFITS
• Competitive and innovative base pay, variable and long-term incentive plan.