THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
About the Company
Our client is a global leader in the design and manufacture of high quality electronic sub-systems. Recognized for their innovative designs, superior quality and performance, our client’s full range of technologies are utilized by leading companies to cover a wide range of markets and serve a multitude of industries and applications, including, telecommunications and network systems, network infrastructure equipment and servers, computers and peripherals, industrial automation systems, medical electronics systems and test and measurement equipment.
Headquartered in Toronto, Canada, our client has a global reach with product development, sales and support offices in several countries around the world. From these offices, they boast the facilities and resources to support its multinational customers around the world from product design through volume production.
Scope of Position
Reporting to the head of operations, the Materials Manager will be responsible for ensuring that the organization’s purchasing and materials strategy, planning and execution capabilities are aligned to the strategy of the business.
- Responsible for driving/implementing materials process improvements to support business goals with emphasis on supplier management, supplier improvement, deflation, inventory management, continuity of supply to support the manufacturing floor.
- Responsible for managing system integrity – MRP and inventory accuracy.
- Drive deflation and overall cost out for direct and indirect materials.
- Drive supplier quality, delivery and inventory metrics
- Drive supplier base to standard company payment terms
- Lead supplier selection, development and strategic supplier management, ensuring that the supplier qualification process is followed.
- Develop and lead negotiation strategies with suppliers and establish contractual agreements.
- Provide cross functional materials and sourcing expertise and leadership across manufacturing, sales, and engineering team.
- Responsible for professional development and team building of purchasing, planning and receiving
Key Performance Deliverables
In light of the identified responsibilities, the following are specific deliverables that the position is designed to achieve.
- To be agreed upon with immediate supervisor on joining the organization.
The following competencies listed below define the role of Materials Manager:
Recognizes when change is necessary. Challenges the status quo and champions new initiatives. Acts as a catalyst to change and stimulates others to change. Develops an effective action plan to implement change and monitors results.
Incorporates information about the organization’s structure and protocol into decisions. Attentive to the internal politics and alert to shifting interpersonal dynamics. Establishes the necessary support networks and cross-functional relationships through rapport building. Recognizes, maintains and effectively balances the interests and needs of one’s own group with those of the broader organization.
Strives to provide customers/clients with personalized and efficient service. Anticipates customers’/clients’ needs. Quickly follows up on customer/client contacts and complaints. Monitors and acts on measures of customer/client satisfaction.
Proactive. Seizes opportunities and acts upon them immediately. Takes responsibility for own actions and addresses problems before asked.
Draws parallels across situations and contexts. Divides problems into their individual elements. Develops several explanations or alternatives. Separates the core of a problem from its symptoms and can identify cause and effect.
Helps to create a sense of team spirit and harmonious relations through cooperation and support. Balances personal goals with those of the team. Fosters collaboration among team members.
Articulates the key points of an argument persuasively. Negotiates skillfully and convinces others to own point of view. Directly and indirectly impacts the decisions/opinions of others. Mobilizes people into action.
Focuses strongly on achieving agreed upon outcomes and ensures that key objectives are met. Conveys a sense of urgency and drives issues to closure. Aims to improve upon past performance. Establishes aggressive personal targets and strives to achieve them.
Preferred Experience / Education
The following indicates specific industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables.
- BS or BA degree in Business or technical discipline
- APICS or CPM Certification
- 5+ years of electronics manufacturing or related experience
- Process knowledge of manufacturing functions including order fulfillment, shipping, inventory control
- Strong strategic, interpersonal, computer and analytical skills.
- Demonstrated leadership/people, management skills and ability to work across functions.
- Computer literate, knowledge of MS Word, MS excel and the internet
- Ability to drive results in a technical environment
- China outsourcing experience/knowledge a definite asset.
Remuneration & Benefits
- Competitive base salary and bonus system.