THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
About the Company
Headquartered in the Greater Toronto Area and with operations throughout Ontario our client provides a broad range of technical innovation, asset management, project development, maintenance, service and operational support to the renewable energy sector and industrial, commercial, institutional (“ICI”) and utility markets.
Acquisitive, privately owned and led by a highly dynamic and entrepreneurial leadership team, our client is ideally positioned to continue exploiting a growing and significant market opportunity.
Our client now needs to bring on-board a proven Chief Financial Officer to ensure that it exploits the opportunity before it.
Scope of Position
Reporting to the CEO, the CFO shall be responsible for overseeing all financial matters of the company and reporting on such matters in a timely and accurate manner to the executive management team and Board of Directors.
As a key partner to the senior leadership and operating teams, the CFO shall provide financial guidance and counsel on all matters relating to the finance function including strategic business planning, budgeting and forecasting, business analysis, and corporate growth strategies.
- Provide hands-on leadership, guidance, mentorship and performance management to the finance staff in the organization.
- Ensure that finance organization is structured and sized, so as to be optimally aligned to the needs of the business.
- Working with and supporting the CEO as may be appropriate with any ongoing fundraising activities while managing the company’s cash effectively.
- Oversee and manage the accounting, tax, insurance, all financial reporting, budgeting, forecasting and reconciliations along with preparation of financial statements and cash flow projections, ensuring that the interests of all stakeholders are served.
- Manage relationship with audit firm for annual audit/income tax activities and all related matters.
- Leverage a detailed understanding of ‘what’s driving the numbers’ to act as a key strategic and operational contributor to the overall growth of the business.
- Ensure appropriate internal controls are developed and in place for the benefit of all stakeholders and the more efficient operation of the business.
- Effectively manage the company’s cash and securities position and drive any supplementary initiatives deemed necessary by the company
- Serve as a champion for enterprise excellence and the maximizing of value creation.
- Ensure all stakeholders including lenders and financial institutions are kept up to date on all relevant financial matters in a timely manner.
- Ensure adequate cash flow to meet the organization’s needs.
- Remain informed about the business, put measurements and reporting dashboards into place enabling real time assessment of performance and ‘what’s over the horizon’.
- Ensure that IT is not only aligned to the needs of the business but enables its growth.
- Attend Board and subcommittee meetings as may be appropriate.
The following competencies listed below define the role of Chief Financial Officer
Develops a strategic plan to realize the vision. Revises strategy in light of changing circumstances. Takes a long-term view of organizational success. Works to clarify long term organizational goals. Able to stand back from immediate problems in order to focus on more far reaching ideas.
Demonstrates critical technical or professional knowledge/skills related to the role. Has thorough knowledge of relevant products, services and methods. Expands technical knowledge/skills and keeps up-to-date in own area of expertise.
Applies appropriate commercial and financial principles. Understands situations in terms of costs, profits, added-value and return on investment. Appreciates the commercial impact of own work on the organization’s total expenses and revenues.
Focuses strongly on achieving agreed upon outcomes and ensures that key objectives are met. Conveys a sense of urgency and drives issues to closure. Aims to improve upon past performance. Establishes aggressive personal targets and strives to achieve them.
Consults widely for business or technical advice, probes for facts and obtains information from a wide variety of sources. Differentiates the critical from the irrelevant or trivial.
Team Skills & People Management
Helps to create a sense of team spirit and harmonious relations through cooperation and support. Balances personal goals with those of the team. Fosters collaboration among team members.
Preferred Experience / Education
The following indicates specific industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables
- A minimum of 18-20 years of senior financial management experience with day-to-day financial operations and oversight; ideally with a CA designation.
- Preference will be given to individuals with industrial services experience.
- Track record of dealing with issues of scaling and growth of mid-sized private enterprises.
- Experience working in fast-paced, founder-led, dynamic environments.
- An analytical, detail oriented, team player with a proactive, “own it, solve it” mindset.
- The ability to lead, communicate clearly and articulately, monitor and express strategy to both internal and external stakeholders
- The ability to put value creation into perspective and know what makes the business tick
- Experience with M&A transactions and post-acquisition integration will be a definite asset.
Remuneration & Benefits
- A competitive compensation package commensurate with experience will be discussed with serious and qualified candidates.