THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
About the Company
Our client is a premier developer and builder of residential condominiums. With a portfolio of projects spanning 20 years, the company has enriched Toronto’s landscape with properties that resonate deeply with the city’s growing and diverse population. Over 5000 condominiums bear our client’s name in some of downtown Toronto’s most desirable neighbourhoods, including Yorkville, North Toronto, King West, Queen West, Lawrence Park, Liberty Village, St. Lawrence Market, Harbourfront, Mt. Pleasant Village, and others. Every one of our client’s condominium communities strictly adheres to a philosophy of lasting value in architecture, interior design and materials. Guided by uncompromising integrity and a drive to deliver value to its customers, our client has earned a reputation for excellence and quality that has few peers in its sector.
Scope of Position
Our client continues to grow with larger, more innovative and ambitious projects on the horizon. Ensuring that our client is organized in a fashion to successfully scale to such lofty heights is the role of the Chief Operating Officer (COO).
Reporting to the CEO, the COO is responsible for organizing, integrating and effectively managing all day to day company operations. This will involve aligning processes, systems and people to ensure that the organization meets its objectives for efficiency and profitability. The COO will play a key role in ensuring that the multitude of stakeholders, issues and requisite details surrounding a complex business of this nature are addressed to the satisfaction of all. The position interacts with all levels of the organization as well as with various outside parties to ensure the smooth operation of the company.
- Plan and direct the operational priorities, goals, policies, practices and initiatives in accordance with the goals and strategic direction set by the CEO;
- Integrate and prioritize the corporate goals and strategies into organizational plans, schedules and metrics against which performance can be measured;
- Oversee and support operational day to day management in all elements of the business. Ensure roles are properly defined and organized and that team members properly deployed to address them. Ensure that proper performance management systems are in place, feedback is provided and performance rewarded.
- Assess current business processes and systems. Recommend and participate in the development of enhancements where necessary and appropriate;
- Manage delivery gaps, providing proactive operational leadership to identify and remedy problems before they escalate;
- Direct and oversee the development of appropriate systems for measuring necessary aspects of operational management;
- Monitor, measure and report on the organizational results;
- Bring a pragmatic and defensible approach to our client’s business;
- Understand when to use outside experts and resources, and when in-house knowledge will suffice;
- Build teamwork and cooperation facilitated through the display of genuine interest for those you lead;
- Build personal credibility within the organization through strong management and interpersonal skills, sound judgment, and genuine care and concern for colleagues and employees;
Key Performance Deliverables
In light of the identified responsibilities, the following are specific deliverables that the position is designed to achieve.
Key performance measures will be agreed upon with the CEO prior to joining the organization.
The following competencies listed below define the role of Chief Operating Officer at our client –
Applies appropriate commercial and financial principles. Understands situations in terms of costs, profits, added-value and return on investment. Appreciates the commercial impact of own work on the organization’s total expenses and revenues.
Draws parallels across situations and contexts. Divides problems into their individual elements. Develops several explanations or alternatives. Separates the core of a problem from its symptoms and can identify cause and effect.
Consults widely for business or technical advice, probes for facts and obtains information from a wide variety of sources. Differentiates the critical from the irrelevant or trivial.
Industry & Market Awareness
Seeks to anticipate and respond to industry and market changes/challenges by understanding key characteristics, issues and the factors driving them. Aware of competitor’s products, services and position.
Planning & Objective Setting
Systematic in approach to work. Produces action plans in which objectives are defined and steps for achieving them are clearly specified. Plans by breaking down large task into subtasks. Develops plans that anticipate obstacles. Is realistic about time-scales and builds in appropriate checkpoints, milestones and controls in order to ensure that desired results are realized.
Proactive. Seizes opportunities and acts upon them immediately. Takes responsibility for own actions and addresses problems before asked.
Focuses strongly on achieving agreed upon outcomes and ensures that key objectives are met. Conveys a sense of urgency and drives issues to closure. Aims to improve upon past performance. Establishes aggressive personal targets and strives to achieve them.
Helps to create a sense of team spirit and harmonious relations through cooperation and support. Balances personal goals with those of the team. Fosters collaboration among team members.
Preferred Experience / Education
The following indicates specific industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables.
- 10-15 years of operational experience in a senior management role as well as a demonstrated leadership track record working with executive teams in small and medium size companies within the private sector.
- Experience in coordinating, developing and executing strategic operational plans.
- Post secondary diploma/degree with strong business acumen
- The ability to analyze and synthesize data and documents, problem solve, recommend solutions where appropriate, track and expedite solutions through implementation.
- Leadership skills in a highly intellectual environment that contributes to the individual and team success;
- Discipline and the knowledge to focus, prioritize and set in place procedures and processes;
- Flexibility and the ability to adapt to a very fluid, rapidly changing environment;
- High degree of honesty, respect, integrity and loyalty;
- Familiarity with managing teams where you are not the expert;
- Strong team building skills with the ability to effectively communicate and motivate
- Systems thinking approach with a questioning style;
- Ability to synthesize data and produce reports in a visually effective manner;
- Well organized, detail oriented, and ability to multi-task in a fast paced environment;
- Initiative and the ability to work with minimum supervision;