THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
About the Company
As North America’s third largest full-service waste management company, Progressive Waste Solutions provides non-hazardous solid waste collection and recycling disposal services to commercial, industrial, municipal and residential customers in six Canadian provinces and 12 U.S. states as well as the District of Columbia.
The company’s shares are listed on the New York and Toronto Stock Exchanges under the symbol BIN.
Scope of Position
Reporting to the Vice-Chairman and CEO, the Chief Information Officer (CIO) will provide the technology and information management vision and leadership while directing the planning, development and implementation of information systems to support Progressive’s enterprise-wide information technology (IT) program. This will include core back-office functions such as financial systems, data processing, computer services, network communications and management information services to drive competitive advantage and accomplish corporate goals and objectives.
Key responsibilities of the role:
- Oversee the development of the company’s IT vision in support of the company’s strategic business objectives.
- Establish information system and technology priorities, goals and objectives through collaboration and consultation with other members of the senior management team.
- Develop the strategic and tactical planning, development, evaluation, and coordination of integrated information management and technology systems based on the corporate vision.
- Oversee the standardization of platforms and information systems across the organization to ensure the accurate and timely capture and dissemination of data for more effective decision-making.
- Oversee all back office IT operations along with the management of multiple information and communications systems and projects.
- Regularly evaluate existing technology, information systems, and staffing, proactively research new solutions and technologies and recommend changes, as appropriate.
- Develop and implement policy and procedures to ensure the protection of Progressive’s IT assets and the integrity, security and privacy of corporate and client information.
- Develop and monitor the annual operating and capital budgets for information and technology systems and supporting infrastructure (maintenance, helpdesk, hardware replacement, software upgrades, etc.).
- Approve, coordinate and manage all projects related to selection, acquisition, development and installation of major information systems including collaborating with user groups to advise on evaluation, selection, implementation and maintenance of information systems,
- Ensure appropriate investment (appropriate metrics, supported by ROI) in strategic and operational systems for overall effectiveness. Evaluate installed systems to measure effectiveness.
- Serve as the primary contact to software, hardware and network-related vendors, consultants, and partners and maintain knowledge of current technology, equipment, prices and terms of agreements to minimize the investment required to meet established service levels.
- Manage relationships with vendors for sales, service and support of all information systems and technology. Maintain problem logs, document system errors or defects. Develop and maintain the systems architecture, defining standards and protocols for data exchange, communications, software and interconnection of Progressive’s various network information systems.
- Communicates IS/IT plans, policies and technology trends throughout the organization.
- Select, train, supervise, evaluate and develop all roles related to the provision of IT services within Progressive’s Canadian and US Operations.
Key Performance Deliverables
In light of the identified responsibilities, the following are specific deliverables that the position is designed to achieve.
- Specific performance measures will be agreed upon with the successful candidate prior to joining the organization.
The following competencies listed below define the role of Chief Information Officer:
Proactive. Seizes opportunities and acts upon them immediately. Takes responsibility for own actions and addresses problems before asked.
Focuses strongly on achieving agreed upon outcomes and ensures that key objectives are met; Conveys a sense of urgency and drives issues to closure; Aims to improve upon past performance; Establishes aggressive personal targets and strives to achieve them.
Applies appropriate commercial and financial principles. Understands situations in terms of costs, profits, added-value and return on investment. Appreciates the commercial impact of own work on the organization’s total expenses and revenues.
Generates new ideas. Challenges existing assumptions. Goes beyond the status quo. Recognizes the need for new or modified approaches. Brings various perspectives and approaches together, combining them in a creative fashion to implement effective improvements.
Develops a strategic plan to realize the vision. Revises strategy in light of changing circumstances. Takes a long-term view of organizational success. Works to clarify long term organizational goals. Able to stand back from immediate problems in order to focus on more far reaching ideas.
Recognizes when change is necessary. Challenges the status quo and champions new initiatives. Acts as a catalyst to change and stimulates others to change. Develops an effective action plan to implement change and monitors results.
Expresses ideas in a clear, fluent and concise manner. Written and oral arguments are compelling and responsive to the needs of the audience. Comprehends communications from others and responds appropriately.
Preferred Experience / Education
The following indicates specific industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables.
- Requires a bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Business Administration or a related field or equivalent experience. An MBA with specialization in Information Technology would be an asset.
- Minimum of 15 years of experience with increasing responsibilities for management and support of information systems and information technology, direct management of a major IT operation is preferred.
- Experience managing distributed management information systems and teams throughout North America, preferably for a public company.
- Experience managing large corporate transformational projects that includes the change of business process and procedure to streamline the operation.
- Experience integrating ERP and “Best of Breed” business management software
- Comprehensive knowledge of business principles and techniques of administration, organization, and management to include an in-depth understanding of the key business issues.
- Understanding of the strategic IT planning process and a general knowledge of business processes and their interrelationship.
- A strong business orientation and recognition of technology as a business enabler.
Remuneration & Benefits
Progressive offers a competitive compensation package including base-salary, performance-based variable pay, and comprehensive benefits.