THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
About the Company
Our client is a Canadian, private holding company with a diverse portfolio of growth oriented companies and assets across North America. The organization has a reputation for shrewd investments including supporting/incubating successful Canadian technology firms. With a strong operational orientation, the firm actively works with management to help realize their potential.
Scope of Position
Reporting to the CEO, the CFO will be responsible for supporting each of the enterprises, assistingin developing business strategies and managing their affairs to achieve their various business objectives to increase profitability and grow.
- Oversee the production of timely and accurate financial statements for the various operating and holding companies.
- Support the firm’s portfolio companies in the areas of contracts, personnel issues, legal compliance, legal matters and other issues as required.
- Actively work with the senior management teams of the portfolio companies on key strategic issues and projects that require additional management expertise.
- Support for portfolio companies’ in negotiations with customers and suppliers.
- Serve as a Director of some of the portfolio companies or as a member of a committee of the Board of Directors of a portfolio company.
- Participate in acquisition and divestiture of investments by the company and it’s portfolio companies.
- Investment analysis and strategy formulation with the team.
- Participate in the financial analysis of the various holding companies and their investments.
- Participate in the tax management and tax planning of the holding companies and their investments and the tax planning of affiliates.
- Support and participate in the management of the banking, non-bank financing and insurance relationships for the company and its portfolio companies.
- Real estate negotiations, management and administration for the company and portfolio companies as required.
- Other administrative responsibilities as needed
Key Performance Deliverables In light of the identified responsibilities, the following are specific deliverables that the position is designed to achieve.
- Specific performance metrics and goals will be agreed upon with the successful candidate on joining the organization.
Competency Profile The following competencies listed below define the role of Chief Financial Officer at Private Equity/Venture Capital Firm –
Applies appropriate commercial and financial principles. Understands situations in terms of costs, profits, added-value and return on investment. Appreciates the commercial impact of own work on the organization’s total expenses and revenues.
Demonstrates critical technical or professional knowledge/skills related to the role. Has thorough knowledge of relevant products, services and methods. Expands technical knowledge/skills and keeps up-to-date in own area of expertise.
Develops a strategic plan to realize the vision. Revises strategy in light of changing circumstances. Takes a long-term view of organizational success. Works to clarify long term organizational goals. Able to stand back from immediate problems in order to focus on more far reaching ideas.
Planning & Objective Setting
Systematic in approach to work. Produces action plans in which objectives are defined and steps for achieving them are clearly specified. Plans by breaking down large task into subtasks. Develops plans that anticipate obstacles. Is realistic about time-scales and builds in appropriate checkpoints, milestones and controls in order to ensure that desired results are realized.
Consults widely for business or technical advice, probes for facts and obtains information from a wide variety of sources. Differentiates the critical from the irrelevant or trivial.
Focuses strongly on achieving agreed upon outcomes and ensures that key objectives are met. Conveys a sense of urgency and drives issues to closure. Aims to improve upon past performance. Establishes aggressive personal targets and strives to achieve them.
Expresses ideas in a clear, fluent and concise manner. Written and oral arguments are compelling and responsive to the needs of the audience. Comprehends communications from others and responds appropriately.
Proactive. Seizes opportunities and acts upon them immediately. Takes responsibility for own actions and addresses problems before asked.
Preferred Experience / Education
The following indicates specific industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables.
- Accounting Designation (CA, CMA, or CGA).
- Extensive direct business experience with operating businesses at the vice president level within the finance function.
- A career that includes working with and scaling early staged, entrepreneurial companies across a range of technology sectors.
Remuneration & Benefits
- Competitive base and variable compensation