THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
About the company
Our client, Plotly Inc, is the creator of the fastest growing, open-source software (OSS) for data visualization in the world. Exceeding more than 2 million downloads per month, Plotly’s OSS has changed how engineering and financial institutions analyze and share their data. Plotly’s enterprise products – Dash Deployment Server and Chart Studio – allow data scientists and engineers using Plotly’s OSS to securely share analytics deliverables within their enterprise environment. Plotly’s revenue has doubled every year for the past 3 years.
Funded by In-Q-Tel (the venture capital arm of the CIA) along with leading VCs in North America, Plotly’s data visualization platform has in a very short time proven to be indispensable to Fortune 500 companies across verticals including the financial services, oil and gas and scientific research community. Plotly boasts an enviable list of high profile companies that includes Tesla, Red Hat, Facebook, Google, and government institutions.
Headquartered in Montreal, Canada and with operations in Boston, MA, Plotly recently secured Series ‘B’ financing and is poised to continue its impressive YoY, double digit revenue growth.
To learn more about Plotly, please visit:
Scope of Position
Reporting to the CEO, the CFO will be responsible for overseeing all financial matters of the company and reporting on such matters in a timely and accurate fashion to the executive management team and Board of Directors.
- Act as a key business partner to the CEO and the operating team providing financial guidance and counsel on all matters relating to the finance function including strategic business planning, budgeting and forecasting, business analysis, and corporate growth strategies.
- Working with and supporting the CEO with all ongoing fundraising activities while managing the company’s cash effectively.
- Provide hands-on leadership, guidance, mentorship and performance management to team members.
- Ensure that the finance organization is structured and sized, so as to be optimally aligned to the needs of the business.
- Oversee and manage the accounting, tax, insurance, budget, credit and treasury and capital structure functions ensuring that the interests of all stakeholders are served.
- Manage relationship with audit firm for annual audit/income tax activities and all related matters.
- Leverage a detailed understanding of ‘what’s driving the numbers’ to act as a key strategic and operational contributor to the overall growth of the business.
- Ensure appropriate internal controls are developed and in place for the benefit of all stakeholders and the more efficient operation of the business.
- Serve as a champion for enterprise excellence and the maximizing of value creation.
- Lead all investor relations activities with a view to accurately and positively representing the company in all financial matters. Ensuring all stakeholders including lenders and financial institutions are kept up to date on all relevant financial matters in a timely manner.
- Remain informed about the business, put measurements and reporting dashboards into place enabling real time assessment of performance and ‘what’s over the horizon’.
Key Performance Deliverables
In light of the identified responsibilities, the following are specific deliverables that the position is designed to achieve.
• Specific measures of performance will be discussed with and agreed upon with the successful candidate.
The following competencies listed below define the role of the Chief Financial Officer:
Planning & Objective Setting
Systematic in approach to work. Produces action plans in which objectives are defined and steps for achieving them are clearly specified. Plans by breaking down large task into subtasks. Develops plans that anticipate obstacles. Is realistic about time-scales and builds in appropriate checkpoints, milestones and controls in order to ensure that desired results are realized.
Demonstrates critical technical or professional knowledge/skills related to the role. Has thorough knowledge of relevant products, services and methods. Expands technical knowledge/skills and keeps up-to-date in own area of expertise
Develops a strategic plan to realize the vision. Revises strategy in light of changing circumstances. Takes a long-term view of organizational success. Works to clarify long term organizational goals. Able to stand back from immediate problems in order to focus on more far reaching ideas.
Strives to provide customers/clients with personalized and efficient service. Anticipates customers’/clients’ needs. Quickly follows up on customer/client contacts and complaints. Monitors and acts on measures of customer/client satisfaction.
Focuses strongly on achieving agreed upon outcomes and ensures that key objectives are met. Conveys a sense of urgency and drives issues to closure. Aims to improve upon past performance. Establishes aggressive personal targets and strives to achieve them.
Expresses ideas in a clear, fluent and concise manner. Written and oral arguments are compelling and responsive to the needs of the audience. Comprehends communications from others and responds appropriately.
Preferred Experience / Education
The following indicates specific industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables.
- 8-15 years experience managing a finance department of an early-stage, growth oriented, VC backed company.
- Highly credible within the financial community with a track-record of fundraising through a variety of means, including, venture capital, private equity, debt, government grants/loans, public markets etc
- Preference will be given to individuals with a proven track record of scaling a B2B or SaaS company.
- A demonstrable ability to contribute and engage in a strategic and meaningful way at the C-suite and Board level.
- An ability or curiosity to understand a highly technical product and customer base in order to contribute insightfully to product positioning and pricing strategies.
- A hands-on, ‘roll up your sleeves’ orientation.
- A bias for action combined with a burning desire to succeed.
- A participative, inclusive team style.
Remuneration & Benefits
- Highly competitive base salary, variable and stock plan
If interested, please contact:
StoneWood Group, Toronto
Bus: 416-365-9494 Ext. 233