THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
About the Company
Our client is an award-winning large employee-owned multidisciplinary firm that delivers a comprehensive range of technical and strategic services, including consulting, information technology, engineering, process development, project, and construction management to large industrial sectors. The company has served clients for over 80 years and has project experience in more than 150 countries worldwide.
Our client’s ability to bridge the gaps between research and innovative technologies and between engineering and reliable operations is widely renowned. The company is particularly known for working with clients to develop business strategies and technologies; managing and optimizing production; executing projects that involve the scale-up of process technologies; and managing start-ups, commissioning, and ramp-ups.
It delivers unprecedented business results for their clients through a commitment to quality, lower operating costs, more efficient utilization of capital assets, higher standards for safety and risk management, faster start-ups and continuous performance improvements in all projects and programs.
In infrastructure, our client’s expertise includes aviation, highways and bridges, planning and advisory services, ports, rail, transit, tunnels and water. In water specifically, they assist industry, communities and government agencies alike with an integrated approach to sourcing, developing and managing water resources to maximize their investments and maintain water quality and security. Their capabilities include:
- Watershed management
- Water supply
- Water conveyance
- Integrated water management
- Industrial and municipal treatment
- Technology and software
Scope of the Position
This is an exciting new role to provide leadership and take responsibility for the growth and operational management of our client’s water/wastewater practice in the US. This includes feasibility studies, asset management, preliminary and detail design, and construction administration of watermains, storm/sanitary sewers, water distribution and wastewater collection systems, water Intakes and wastewater outfalls and pumping facilities across the US
This role is focused on growing the overall practice through the development of external facing new business opportunities, as well as in collaboration with other service areas within our client through cross-selling. The successful candidate will be expected to proactively grow market share (i.e., sell) in the water services area. The organizational and resource development to meet this growth is also an important component of the role.
Our client’s leaders perform in a seller-doer-manager role and you will be part of the global water management team. The company’s overall senior leadership team will be available to support the individual in achieving the above objectives.
- Developing and expanding a continuous stream of new stand-alone water/wastewater work, as well as cross-selling water-related work into ongoing company proposals and projects. ie., leading assertive and proactive initiatives to develop new client opportunities and acquire additional business from existing company client and project relationships.
- Client engagement at senior levels with existing company clients and the development of new client relationships for water/wastewater and the broader business.
- Growing and managing a multi-disciplinary team of professionals providing a broad portfolio of water/wastewater services
- Assisting senior management in strategy planning and organizational design initiatives.
- Ensuring the development of budgets and plans which will deliver the organization’s strategic goals.
- Developing and implementing plans to adapt and grow the existing operational systems, processes, and personnel in order to accommodate the rapid growth objectives of the business.
- Ensuring the commercial viability of the business at all times and acting in compliance with agreed profitability objectives.
- Assist in the preparation of supporting materials, including communication materials, training documents and technical reports.
- Participates in projects with cross-functional teams to address business opportunities
- Engendering a style of management that encourages an ethos of excellence and a mindset of continuous improvement;
- Providing project management and specialist advisory support to project teams working on mining, infrastructure and energy projects;
- Managing the performance reporting requirements of the Water/Wastewater organization for the region.
- Liaising with Global peers across the business as required.
Key Performance Deliverables
In light of the identified responsibilities, the following are specific deliverables that the position is designed to achieve.
- Specific additional measures of performance will be discussed with the successful candidate.
The following competencies listed below define the role of Practice Leader, Water/Wastewater – USA:
Develops a strategic plan to realize the vision. Revises strategy in light of changing circumstances. Takes a long-term view of organizational success. Works to clarify long term organizational goals. Able to stand back from immediate problems in order to focus on more far reaching ideas.
Proactive. Seizes opportunities and acts upon them immediately. Takes responsibility for own actions and addresses problems before asked.
Articulates the key points of an argument persuasively. Negotiates skillfully and convinces others to own point of view. Directly and indirectly impacts the decisions/opinions of others. Mobilizes people into action.
Focuses strongly on achieving agreed upon outcomes and ensures that key objectives are met. Conveys a sense of urgency and drives issues to closure. Aims to improve upon past performance. Establishes aggressive personal targets and strives to achieve them.
Strives to provide customers/clients with personalized and efficient service. Anticipates customers’/clients’ needs. Quickly follows up on customer/client contacts and complaints. Monitors and acts on measures of customer/client satisfaction.
Industry & Market Awareness
Seeks to anticipate and respond to industry and market changes/challenges by understanding key characteristics, issues and the factors driving them. Aware of competitor’s products, services and position.
Helps to create a sense of team spirit and harmonious relations through cooperation and support. Balances personal goals with those of the team. Fosters collaboration among team members.
Applies appropriate commercial and financial principles. Appreciates the commercial impact of own work on the organization’s total expenses and revenues. Understands situations in terms of costs, profits, added-value and return on investment.
Preferred Experience and Education
The following indicates specific industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables.
- Bachelor’s/University degree in engineering, or a related discipline.
- A postgraduate qualification in a related discipline and/or MBA desirable.
- A minimum of 10 years’ experience in selling, managing and delivering water/wastewater engineering related services
- A practice builder who leads from the front
- Strong name recognition on a national or regional level as an industry thought leader on technical matters related to water and wastewater
- A minimum of 10 years of demonstrated leadership and supervisory experience.
- Strong financial management and people management skills.
- An understanding of how to formulate and execute business strategies as well as effectively leading a team of people.
- Demonstrated experience working on major projects in the infrastructure sector.
- In-depth knowledge of the water/wastewater sector in the U.S.
- Willingness to travel as work requires.
- An ability to work in a multi-disciplinary and integrated team environment.
- Effective and open communication and presentation style and the ability to plan and deliver high quality reports.
- An ability to be flexible, learn and perform challenging tasks outside their area of skills and experience.
Highly competitive, unique compensation package to the successful candidate
Our client is committed to fostering a workforce in each of their locations that reflects the diversity of the communities in which they operate. They are an Equal Opportunity Employer that considers employment applicants without regard to age, race, colour, national origin, citizenship, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, disability or any other protected status. If you have any special needs requirements, they will do their utmost to accommodate, in accordance with applicable local legislation.
If interested, please contact:
Bus: 416-365-9494 Ext. 777
Bus: 416-365-9494 Ext. 555