THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
About the Company
Our client is a global manufacturer and distributor of mechanical products and systems, focused on the heavy duty vehicle markets. Our client utilizes its proprietary technology and other technologies to provide high-value sustainable solutions to its customers. Our client is headquartered in the US with its major manufacturing facility in Toronto, Canada
Scope of Position
The Manufacturing Manager is responsible for planning schedules, and overseeing manufacturing activities in pursuance of business goals. Includes development of policies and procedures designed to increase productivity, assure quality, and mitigate production problems. To this end, the Manufacturing Manager will improve throughput and other in-house processes with the objective of reducing overall costs and enhancing customer satisfaction. The position is also responsible for the strategic forecasting, development of inventory management policies and procedures for ensuring the availability of all necessary materials required to support the manufacturing process, release scheduling of inbound raw materials and components, and ensuring adequate stock levels for production requirements.
- Manufacturing Cost Management & Optimization
- Develop systems to evaluate, score, and implement manufacturing and production operations
- Create and implement repeatable scoring metrics for all manufacturing and production operations
- Support new product development and continuous improvement by integrating tools (e.g. Lean Six Sigma, kaizen, etc.) into processes
- Improve production standards through time studies and other standard data development methods
- Identify areas for waste reduction
- Develop plant or process flow layouts to improve productivity
- Provide cost analysis as required by senior plant management
- Create and maintain production and manufacturing documentation
- Select the appropriate capital equipment as needed, create business case, and then oversee purchase, installation, and start-up
- Manage long-term strategic plans and tactical implementation of production systems across the enterprise
- Analyze and report on the plant’s daily/monthly/annual key performance indicators
- Measure and monitor key production areas
- Examine reports (e.g. inventory, production, etc.) to determine the operational activities of the company and ensure optimum performance
- Determine optimum manufacturing processes and raw material usage
- Inventory Reporting, Analysis & Optimization
- Ensure inventory levels are appropriate for production business levels
- Coordinate and submit timely and accurate inventory control data and analysis for Monthly/Annual Materials Management
- Conduct periodic spot checks of warehouse excess and conduct a formal inventory at least once annually
- Procurement & Production Planning / Scheduling
- Apply strategic forecasting to ensure the availability of all necessary materials required to support the manufacturing process
- Release scheduling of inbound raw materials and components
- Ensure adequate stock levels for production requirements
- Ensure appropriate levels of inventory to meet client contractual agreements
- Advise the Purchasing Manager where inventory levels are depleted or low
- Utilize inventory control measures for cycles of incoming and outgoing orders with relevant partners
- Customer Service Reporting, Analysis & Improvement
- Safety and Quality Oversight
- Implement safety practices, policies and plans of the company
- Accept full authority to take any necessary action to maintain overall safe practices and procedures, including the authority to cease an unsafe operating procedure
- Implement information flow and data publications to ensure each level of management is properly informed of all activities relative to compliance with company safety policies and bulletins
- Ensure all equipment and buildings owned or operated by the company comply with safety and fire regulations and any other Provincial or Federal regulations
- Observe all company rules, policies and procedures with regards to quality control, -Occupational Health and Safety, etc.
- Ensure compliance with ISO Quality system
- Consult with Quality Assurance staff and engineers on quality issues; evaluate the overall QA performance of the manufacturing unit
- Ensure ongoing compliance with local, national, and international standards and legislation
- Staff Management and Development
- Provide leadership for developing and directing manufacturing and plant initiatives for all company products
- Assist in training shop employees in problem-solving techniques and on-the-spot production troubleshooting
- Manage manufacturing and warehouse employees, and other staff; recommend optimal staffing levels and schedules
- Persuade staff to adopt and incorporate quality methods into their work
- Identify relevant training needs and opportunities
- Orientation of new employees with safety instruction including, but not limited to Dangerous Goods, WHMIS, driver, warehouse, and maintenance personnel education
- Other projects/assignments as requested by manager
Key Performance Deliverables
In light of the identified responsibilities, the following are specific deliverables that the position is designed to achieve.
- Specific performance goals and performance measures will be discussed and agreed upon with the successful candidate
The following competencies listed below define the role of Manufacturing Manager
Demonstrates critical technical or professional knowledge/skills related to the role. Has thorough knowledge of relevant products, services and methods. Expands technical knowledge/skills and keeps up-to-date in own area of expertise.
Planning & Objective Setting
Systematic in approach to work. Produces action plans in which objectives are defined and steps for achieving them are clearly specified. Plans by breaking down large task into subtasks. Develops plans that anticipate obstacles. Is realistic about time-scales and builds in appropriate checkpoints, milestones and controls in order to ensure that desired results are realized.
Establishes and communicates clear priorities and sense of direction. Clarifies roles and responsibilities. Adapts management style to achieve optimum results.
Helps to create a sense of team spirit and harmonious relations through cooperation and support. Balances personal goals with those of the team. Fosters collaboration among team members.
Strives for excellence in products, processes and/or services through continued evaluation, enhancement and redefinition of quality standards.
Draws parallels across situations and contexts. Divides problems into their individual elements. Develops several explanations or alternatives. Separates the core of a problem from its symptoms and can identify cause and effect.
Applies appropriate commercial and financial principles. Understands situations in terms of costs, profits, added-value and return on investment. Appreciates the commercial impact of own work on the organization’s total expenses and revenues.
Expresses ideas in a clear, fluent and concise manner. Written and oral arguments are compelling and responsive to the needs of the audience. Comprehends communications from others and responds appropriately.
Preferred Experience / Education
The following indicates specific industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables.
- 5+ years experience in production management
- Demonstrated shop floor production management skills
- Experience in a high mix, low volume custom manufacturing environment
- Demonstrated supply chain experience
- Proven analytical skills in problem analysis and resolution
- Track record of managing to milestones and timetables and delivering results
- Proven ability to apply statistical techniques in analyzing/improving production and process quality
- Demonstrated team-building techniques with subordinates
Remuneration & Benefits
- Highly competitive compensation package for the successful candidate