THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
About the Company
Our Client is a group of complementary businesses using compounding technology and engineering expertise to create value for its customers, through the design, development, manufacture and sale of rubber products to industrial, automotive, defense, first response and healthcare markets. The firm is among the largest in its industry.
Our client is Canadian and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX) with revenues of approximately $400mm.
Scope of Position
Our client is undertaking a search for an executive to join them as Group Corporate Controller.
The Group Corporate Controller is responsible for overseeing corporate reporting, taxation and various special projects. He/she will work collaboratively with Divisional Controllers to establish streamlined processes around corporate reporting and cash management. He/she will proactively provide financial and business analysis that contributes to management decision making through the supply and analysis of meaningful information and tools that help form the basis for decisions and company strategy.
The Group Corporate Controller will report to the Chief Financial Officer and will be responsible for a Tax Accountant at Corporate. Divisional Controllers in Canada and the US will have a dotted line to the Group Corporate Controller.
This is an outstanding opportunity that features:
- Market Leading positioning
- Large opportunity for growth
- Committed and well-funded organization
- Highly entrepreneurial corporate culture
- An opportunity to make a real difference
- Leading the preparation of the monthly consolidated financial package in a timely manner;
- Preparing tax working papers and coordinate/manage the corporate tax compliance process interacting with the auditors and tax specialists as appropriate;
- Preparing the Corporate plan, Annual budget and Quarterly forecast on a regular basis
- Managing the corporate insurance program and annual renewal;
- Managing Consolidated Cash Flow and related banking matters for the corporation;
- Point of contact for insurance related matters within the organization;
- Leading the compilation of quarterly and annual reporting disclosure;
- Research, interpret and recommend relevant accounting policies on a consolidated basis to the CFO;
- Working with the Divisional Controllers to manage the quarterly process including consolidation and working with the external auditors;
- Oversee the day-to-day accounting for the corporate head office including supervision of the accountant on staff
- Oversee and manage the function of the office manager on a daily basis including accounts payable;
Key Performance Deliverables
In light of the identified responsibilities, the following are specific deliverables that the position is designed to achieve.
- Specific measures of performance relating to growth, profitability, quality, customer satisfaction, etc. will be discussed and agreed upon with the successful candidate.
The following competencies listed below define the role of Group Corporate Controller:
Demonstrates critical technical or professional knowledge/skills related to the role. Has thorough knowledge of relevant products, services and methods. Expands technical knowledge/skills and keeps up-to-date in own area of expertise.
Focuses strongly on achieving agreed upon outcomes and ensures that key objectives are met. Conveys a sense of urgency and drives issues to closure. Aims to improve upon past performance. Establishes aggressive personal targets and strives to achieve them.
Applies appropriate commercial and financial principles. Understands situations in terms of costs, profits, added-value and return on investment. Appreciates the commercial impact of own work on the organization’s total expenses and revenues.
Incorporates information about the organization’s structure and protocol into decisions. Attentive to the internal politics and alert to shifting interpersonal dynamics. Establishes the necessary support networks and cross-functional relationships through rapport building. Recognizes, maintains and effectively balances the interests and needs of one’s own group with those of the broader organization.
Helps to create a sense of team spirit and harmonious relations through cooperation and support. Balances personal goals with those of the team. Fosters collaboration among team members.
Establishes and communicates clear priorities and sense of direction. Clarifies roles and responsibilities. Adapts management style to achieve optimum results.
Preferred Experience / Education
The following indicates specific industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables:
- Relevant undergraduate degree with a financial designation, preferably a CPA, CA designation;
- A minimum of ten years’ experience; public reporting experience is an asset;
- Experience managing consolidated cash flow and foreign currencies
- Experience with F/X and other hedging practices;
- Experience with tax planning and filing
- Experience creating budgeting & forecasting models
- Experience in a manufacturing environment would be beneficial but not a must;
- Experience managing the banking function including bank account administration, short and long-term debt management and preparation of the quarterly banking covenant calculations;
- Proficient with PC applications such as Excel, Word and Power-point.
Additional Management & Leadership Characteristics
- Strong analytical, problem-solving and project management skills;
- Hands-on orientation;
- Eager to learn and take on new tasks and responsibilities;
- Decisive and focused – understands what needs to be done and moves quickly to that end;
- Rigorous with significant attention to detail;
- Hard working and dedicated with internal drive – requires minimal direction;
- Superior interpersonal and communication skills;
- Thinker – ability to look at strategy and make sense of it;
- Possesses sound judgment; and
- Takes initiative and is not afraid to speak up and challenge the status quo – improve efficiencies and quality of data to improve decision making.
Remuneration & Benefits
- Highly competitive compensation package tailored to the successful candidate.