THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
About the Company
Client is the world’s largest supplier of intellectual property (IP) services, and technical competitive intelligence products and services, which target a wide range of sectors including: medical devices, semiconductors, consumer electronics, investment, legal, automotive, clean technology, and software. With offices in: North America, Europe (France, Israel, Poland); and Asia, the company’s team of over 250 offers unmatched technical expertise and analysis tools, combined with years of experience in all aspects of the IP/technology lifecycle.
1st Quarter of 2013, Client was acquired by a UK-based, independent private equity fund firm.
Scope of Position
Reporting to the CEO and dotted line reporting to the UK’s CFO, candidate is responsible for the company’s worldwide financial and fiscal management. The CFO provides leadership and direction to the Finance function; coordinates and manages the business planning and budgeting processes; assists the Business Managers in achieving profitable growth for the business; and helps with the identification and evaluation of opportunities for growth within each business unit in line with company strategy.
Position Lacation and Travel
This position will be located at corporate headquarters in Ottawa, Canada. Some global travel will be required.
- Responsible for the finance activities of the company and for ensuring that all financial aspects of good corporate governance are adhered to
- Acts as a business partner to the CEO, and as a member of the Executive Leadership Team, provides commercial influence and strategic direction to the business
- Leads and manages planning initiatives such as:
– management and co-ordination of the financial planning and budgetary processes,
– developing the current processes in order that they become more forward looking,
– develop and direct the implementation of the strategic business planning process
- Participates as the CFO representative on the Board of Directors of companies forming part of the Client’s portfolio and provides financial oversight of the company’s joint venture or investment holdings
- Control and management of the finance department including:overall management of the finance team,
– overall management of the finance team,
– processing and collection of revenue,
– processing and payment of expenditure,
– treasury management including bank account reconciliations,
– maintenance of appropriate financial controls,
– preparation of financial statements and reports,
– management and analysis of financial results,
– approval and monitoring of capital and project expenditure, and
– management of tax return filings, foreign exchange matters, and employee payroll
- Working with the providers of Group Shared Services setting and agreeing appropriate service levels and ensuring compliance with those agreements
- Working with government agencies to ensure the organization is benefitting from any funding programs (e.g. SR&ED, market development initiatives, resource development and recruiting, etc.)
- Managing the reporting of company results including:
– monthly flash/actual results, quarterly forecasts and budgets, 3 year plans, half/full year results,
– appropriate KPIs (e.g. forward booking data, renewal rates, etc),
– CAPEX, cash flow,
– commentaries on the above, and any ad hoc information requests
- Develop and improve company financial and information systems
- Establish and maintain appropriate internal controls of a financial and non-financial nature
- Ensure compliance with newly acquired company and statutory reporting requirements
- Improve business efficiencies by enhancing management information
- Act as first point of contact for the newly acquired company finance team
- Liaise with the external auditors
- Manage the professional development of all direct reports
- Support the leaders of the commercial departments in the development of business plans and models
- Assist business leads in structuring the commercial aspects of all major revenue and supply contracts
- Co-ordinate the standardization of the administrative functions across all locations
- Other non-finance specific responsibilities such as property management
Preferred Experience / Education
The following indicates specific industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables.
- commercially focused, with extensive experience working with private equity partners
- track record of success managing a global finance team in a ~$50M sized firm
- member of a recognized accounting professional body or equivalent financial education
- able to travel worldwide, sometimes at short notice
- technology-based company experience is an asset
Remuneration & Benefits
Salary, incentives, and benefit package are commensurate with experience and qualifications.