About the Company
Our client is a leading North American provider of diversified environmental solutions offering services in solid waste management, liquid waste management and infrastructure implementation. The company’s corporate head office is based in the Greater Toronto Area.
With significant growth plans and a slate of impressive institutional investors, our client is rapidly expanding its footprint across North America.
Scope of Position
Reporting to the SVP Finance, the Director, Reporting will oversee all aspects of Financial Reporting including annual and interim reporting and various projects within the department as well as internal controls and adherence to policies and processes.
With a focus on department wide process and procedure improvements, the Director, Reporting will lead and support key initiatives and improvement in reporting and communications to internal and external stakeholders.
- Develop reporting strategies and overall development of the department commensurate with the company’s growth and evolving complexity.
- Execute on strategic reporting initiatives as needed including end to end production of financial reports, ensuring that all reporting activities are completed in a systematic and timely fashion, meeting pre-defined internal and external deadlines.
- Support regulatory and audit requests, including process walkthroughs, data collection, report explanations and detailed analysis.
- Ensure work papers, procedures and other relevant materials supporting report production are well documented and complete (e.g. analysis, reconciliation results, approach changes review and sign off).
- Continually review and assess reporting exposures and recommend/develop reporting management strategies including the development of financial reporting management policies and guidelines; monitoring and reporting of financial risk exposures; managing appropriate risk mitigation.
- Develop / enhance policies & procedures, analytics, monitoring, and reporting capabilities.
- Ensure internal and external stakeholders receive relevant, timely, and accurate financial information and all compliance requirements are met on a timely basis.
- Provide interpretation and insight on the business’ operating results and recommend improvements as appropriate.
The following competencies listed below define the role of Director Financial Reporting.
Demonstrates critical technical or professional knowledge/skills related to the role. Has thorough knowledge of relevant products, services and methods. Expands technical knowledge/skills and keeps up-to-date in own area of expertise.
Planning & Objective
Setting Systematic in approach to work. Produces action plans in which objectives are defined and steps for achieving them are clearly specified. Plans by breaking down large task into subtasks. Develops plans that anticipate obstacles. Is realistic about time-scales and builds in appropriate checkpoints, milestones and controls in order to ensure that desired results are realized.
Applies appropriate commercial and financial principles. Understands situations in terms of costs, profits, added-value and return on investment. Appreciates the commercial impact of own work on the organization’s total expenses and revenues.
Establishes and communicates clear priorities and sense of direction. Clarifies roles and responsibilities. Adapts management style to achieve optimum results.
Developing & Coaching
Others Accurately assesses strengths and development needs of employees. Challenges others to improve their abilities and actively supports their development. Continually provides timely and constructive feedback, coaching and challenging learning opportunities. Adjusts coaching style based on each employee’s ability and motivation level.
Quickly adapts to new situations and approaches. Open to change and readily adopts newmethods in the face of shifting priorities and ambiguity. Can alter own perspective and behaviour in order to adjust to changing demands and plans.
Helps to create a sense of team spirit and harmonious relations through cooperation and support. Balances personal goals with those of the team. Fosters collaboration among team members.
Preferred Experience / Education
The following indicates specific industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables.
- Minimum 10 years of experience in the finance department of a fast-paced, large multi-entity corporation
- Post-secondary degree or relevant combination of education and experience, ideally a CPA designation.
- Thorough knowledge of US GAAP and IFRS concepts and practices
- Ability to use technical skills and sound judgment to make regular financial, personnel and policy judgments.
- An analytical, detail oriented, team player that adapts well to change, brings a proactive ‘own it, solve it’ mindset with an ability to navigate complex financial scenarios.
Remuneration & Benefits
- Competitive base salary, variable and stock plan
If interested, please contact
StoneWood Group, Toronto
Bus: 416-365-9494 Ext. 233
StoneWood Group, Toronto
Bus: 416-365-9494 Ext. 221