THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
About the Company
Our Client is Canada’s export credit agency, offering information, knowledge and innovative commercial solutions to help Canadian exporters and investors expand their international business. They take on risk so Canadian businesses can take on the world.
When you join their team, you’ll be helping Canadian companies bring their vision, passion and innovation to the global marketplace. Your knowledge and expertise will support more than 13,000 Canadian companies and their customers in as many as 200 markets worldwide.
You’ll work shoulder-to-shoulder with the best and brightest in an inclusive, collaborative environment that fosters professional development and success. And you’ll know that you’re making a difference every day—for companies, for Canada and for the people you work with.
Year after year, our client has been recognized as a Top 100 and Top Family-Friendly Employer.
Scope of the Position
The Vice President, Investments is a strategic position reporting to the Senior Vice-President, Financing & Investments and overseeing a $3B Investments portfolio that includes direct equity investments in late venture and private equity as well as Canadian and international funds.
The VP leads a team of four Managing Partners and an extended team of ~20 dedicated investments professionals and is also Chair of the Investment Committee. The VP, Investments will be a proven investment professional with experience in direct investing as well as funds, ability to develop strategy and leadership.
Specifically, the VP of Investments will be responsible for:
- Shaping the organization’s Investment strategy and getting alignment with the Investment Committee and Board
- Chairing the Investment Committee
- Building and overseeing the Investment team and the portfolio, ensuring it is on side with strategy and our client’s mandate
- Delivering on customer success through our client’s product offering, business advice and the team’s involvement in value creation for investee companies
- Bringing their professional network to identify equity opportunities
- Leads the Investments Group to ensure transacting excellence, value-added contribution to portfolio companies, timely and critical review of individual investments and the overall portfolio, and successful execution of “exit strategies”
- Develops and manages a network of external relationships, particularly with Venture Capital and Private Equity Investors in Canada and Internationally to source deals and develop relevant thought in leadership, in terms of technology, industry, market and regional trends
- Builds leading edge funds that serve to assist Canadian companies to business transition into emerging markets
- Recommends strategic actions, business development and divestment strategies for portfolio investments
- Ability to manage the many investment strategies to fit the companies funding requirements
- Oversees the performance and skill/career development of assigned teams to ensure the required capacity and capability to meet organizational needs
- Originates, structures and delivers tailored financial solutions through active involvement within the domestic and international private equity communities
- Identifies, negotiates and monitors opportunities for private equity investments through direct investing, co-investing or investing across a combination of investment/asset class specializations
- Ability to build strong relationships with key executive stakeholders, and participate in regular board meetings as required
- Assesses the needs of clients to determine value-added means of financing, directing and supporting their business plans
- Oversees a portfolio of clients and assists in the growth and progress of these companies, ultimately leading to the execution of successful exit strategies
- Works with business development and underwriting teams to cross-sell and deliver financial solutions to clients
- Minimum 15 years’ experience in investments
- Minimum 10 years of leadership experience
- Demonstrated ability to develop and lead a team to successfully execute on strategy
- Demonstrated ability at leading a team to achieve aggressive business targets
- Ability to influence a wide range of audiences and establish collaborative relationships within and outside of the organization
- Ability to present and defend complicated and delicate issues that have an important impact on business success
- Completed a Master’s in Business Administration with a specialization in Finance, Investment or in a related field
- CFA designation
- Language requirements are bilingual. However, in the event a qualified bilingual candidate is not found, a qualified unilingual candidate will be considered. Both bilingual and unilingual candidates are encouraged to apply
If interested, please contact:
CATHERINE PAN DIRECTOR RESEARCH GROUP [email protected] (613) 592 4145 EXT 223